Farewell Tony Wilson

loz

What a shock this is.

He was a hero to me and so many others.

There cannot have been a more influential person in modern British music, at least good modern British music.

Undoubted egomaniac, but entertainment nevertheless, AND often at his own expense.

RIP indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqSICDbDLMQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osDW5DeIDfQ

Today is a very sad day.

A tragedy! Even more so that he had to deal with this crap.

"Doctors had recommended he take the drug Sutent after chemotherapy failed to beat the disease, but the NHS refused to fund the ?3,500-a-month treatment."

Although Sutent cannot cure Kidney cancer it can significantly extend the life of patients and improve their quality of life. That he had to rely on others to raise the funds to pay for it, must have caused him a lot of anguish and is in my opinion disgraceful that it is not funded by PCTs around the country. However, some PCTs do fund it, another case of cancer patients being victims of a postcode lottery.

I had seen him on TV quite recently and thought he looked quite well. He is a tragic loss to music and the modern music industry.

May he rest in peace/noise/fun/whatever afterlife he would choose for himself.

Spot on Jane.

TW did what he did for love of music and to make sure that young people with something to say had somewhere to say it. Money never came into it.

Which makes it all the more sadder when you see Simon Cowell and Simon Fuller rape todays industry. They dont give two sh*ts about the music.

Its money money money, and it makes me mad mad mad!!!

What a legend the man was. Amongst the first to bring punk and new wave to television (one of his programmes got canned after Granada bosses were horrified to see Iggy Pop prancing around with a horses tail sticking out of his bottom during a gig!). More recently he was involved with the new BBC Radio Manchester. Its been rumoured that "Ruined in a Day" by New Order is a song all about the collapse of Factory Records.

Blue Monday was never played in the Hacienda despite New Order being such major shareholders. Wilson thought it might jinx the venue).

I wonder if they'll give his funeral an official Factory FAC catalogue number? He'd probably love it!

I was fortunate enough to work with Tony Wilson for a couple of days in the early nineties, filming the opening credits for a game show called Remote Control, which seriously bombed in the ratings, as I recall.

He came with a reputation for being awkward to work with but I found him fun, charming and polite. A real gent.

HSK

A friend of mine called Lee Henshaw worked with him a few times (if anyone is a bargain bucket hunter you will see a book on Oasis written by Lee - the amount of times I have seen it in charity shops is comical) and always said that he was only awkward with people he either thought to be idiots or were in it purely for themselves - if he sensed you had a real passion for what you were trying to do then he was massively receptive to you.

HSK

A friend of mine called Lee Henshaw worked with him a few times (if anyone is a bargain bucket hunter you will see a book on Oasis written by Lee - the amount of times I have seen it in charity shops is comical) and always said that he was only awkward with people he either thought to be idiots or were in it purely for themselves - if he sensed you had a real passion for what you were trying to do then he was massively receptive to you.

Thanks Loz. I'll take that as a compliment then!

Archived