Rangers vs Barcelona

loz
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

HT update for anyone who is interested.

0-0 and unsurprisingly Barca dominating possession and Rangers defending desperately for extended periods. Ronnie and Henry looking like pale shadows of their old selves at the moment. Hutton in particular playing very well for Rangers.

Barca look very menacing, but when Rangers do attack they just aren't getting bodies forward. And if they keep giving Ronnie free-kicks on the edge of the area it'll cost them eventually. I've been very impressed with Hutton.

Ronaldinho's free kicks have been pretty bad to be honest. Puyol had a fantastic effort but the ranger goalkeeper just saved it from the top right corner. Also, Barca's defense have been all over th place. At least Gudjonsen has gotten a start.

from afar milito and puyol look the same.

Have to say the Gooners looked pretty good tonight. Of course the commentators went well OTT but some of their football I have to admit was a joy to watch (well it would be a joy to watch if it wasn't for the fact it's f**king Arsenal!!!)

A fully deserved point for Rangers despite the fact that they were on the back foot for most of the game. For all their possession Barca lacked penetration and I can only really remember mcGregor having to make one tough save from a Ronaldinho free kick and a couple of fine blocks by defenders to charge down shots. Ref had a poor game, fussy as hell and penalising the minimum of contact. Hutton had a very fine game for Rangers as did COusin who worked tirelessly up front for the full 90 minutes. Only Rangers player who really didn't perform was Charlie Adam who was a little like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

Archie MacPherson commentating on the game at Ibrox tonight when Henry moaned about a decision:

'He used to play for Arsenal so he is used to being allowed to referee matches'

Have to say the Gooners looked pretty good tonight. Of course the commentators went well OTT but some of their football I have to admit was a joy to watch (well it would be a joy to watch if it wasn't for the fact it's f*****g Arsenal!!!)

But then they always look good against average teams.

Top result for Rangers. They rode their luck a lot, especially in the first half, but frustrated Barca well. In the final ten minutes they could have won it themselves. Seven points from the first three games. There's not a Gers fan in the world who wouldn't have settled for that. Full credit to them.

Hutton used to be something of a liability for Rangers but he has settled down a lot and has been in fine form for both Rangers and Scotland.

i dont generally get to see much of rangers but was up in glasgow a few weeks back and saw them against Lyon, thought Hutton looked like a very good player. I would be surprised if non of the good/very good english teams come in for him as Right back is a spot that all top teams need a high energy good quality player. He really did impress me.

Probably a bit early for the better clubs to be making a bid for Hutton. Before the start of this season there is no way a top 10 English club would have considered him as first team material. He got caught out of position a lot, more through eagerness to impress and a lack of maturity. However he really seems to have calmed down and seems to have got his head around his core responsibility and if he carries on playing the way he is, and does so for an extended period, then I could imagine there being a degree of interest in him.

The only thing I would say is that although he has impressed me when the team has been under pressure and he has been kept busy in a backs to the wall role what I am still not 100% convinced about is how well he deals with games where there is not so much pressure and there is a need to maintain his focus to deall with attacks when the do materialise.

Another player at Rangers who is really impressing at the moment is Hemdani (out injured last night). When playing in the Makelele role he has been excellent. Cuellar has also looked very solid at the back and the old man Davie Weir has been very good.

You have to give a lot of credit to Walter Smith. Looking back at his time at Everton most people will probably have him classed as a fairly average (if that)manager however you have to acknowledge that at Everton he was not only given no money (or very little money) to spend but he also had his best players sold from under him. The turnaround jobs he did for Scotland and is doing for Rangers (both of them in a very short space of time) are quite impressive.

What a cracking game the Rangers one was last night, clung on and as you've already said could have even snatched it towards the end.

Cousin up front, does he always play like that? Can he finish? If he can he might be worth taking a look at; big, strong, powerful, decent touch and very hard working - hold on haven't we got someone like that already???

That was the best shift I have sen Cousin put in in a Rangers shirt by some margin. From what I have seen this season (granted he hasn't had that much playing time as Darcheville is their first choice and would have played ahead of Cousin last night if he had been fit) I would say ge isn't good enough for the Premiership, well certainly not for us. Maybe do a job for a Sunderland or a Liverpool icon_wink.gif

Probably a bit early for the better clubs to be making a bid for Hutton. Before the start of this season there is no way a top 10 English club would have considered him as first team material. He got caught out of position a lot, more through eagerness to impress and a lack of maturity. However he really seems to have calmed down and seems to have got his head around his core responsibility and if he carries on playing the way he is, and does so for an extended period, then I could imagine there being a degree of interest in him.

The only thing I would say is that although he has impressed me when the team has been under pressure and he has been kept busy in a backs to the wall role what I am still not 100% convinced about is how well he deals with games where there is not so much pressure and there is a need to maintain his focus to deall with attacks when the do materialise.

Another player at Rangers who is really impressing at the moment is Hemdani (out injured last night). When playing in the Makelele role he has been excellent. Cuellar has also looked very solid at the back and the old man Davie Weir has been very good.

You have to give a lot of credit to Walter Smith. Looking back at his time at Everton most people will probably have him classed as a fairly average (if that)manager however you have to acknowledge that at Everton he was not only given no money (or very little money) to spend but he also had his best players sold from under him. The turnaround jobs he did for Scotland and is doing for Rangers (both of them in a very short space of time) are quite impressive.

Hemdani is an interesting one. He looked absolute sheer class against Lyon in that game and i was very impressed, but i was speaking to the lads who were running the training course i was on who were all Rangers fans. Their opinion was that he was a great player in europe and they love watching him, but in the SPL he just gets totally bypassed the majority of the time and so he rarely plays (or at least rarely starts) for them in the league and is the main man in europe for them.

Cousin is a typical scottish league striker, works hard and is a good athlete but isnt good enough to play in a better league, at least thats my opinion based on one and a half games!

It is probably fair to say that Hemdani is more suited to the European nights than the hurly burly of the Scottish Premiership and it is true to say that his domestic league appearances are somewhat limited however I think this has more to do with the fact that he was never given a proper crack at regular first team games throughout the Le Guen era and after Walter Smith took over. As such he has never really been given the opportunity to get accustomed to the Scottish game.