Ronaldinho

Guest Brian M

Guest Brian M

If Ronnie signed for us (and I'm not saying he should or will), we'd have to assume he'd be in the starting 11. At least to begin with. So, with that in mind, what formation would you play with Ronnie in the team, and who else would be playing?

Reasonable question.

------------------Cech

Belletti-------Carvalho---JT-------Bridge

--------------Mikel/Essien

---------Lampard-------Ballack

----------------------Ronaldinho

-------Anelka

------------------Drogba

I would want to see the full backs getting forward to provide true width. Anelka and Ronnie are comfortable drifting wide and cutting back in with Drogba leading the line.

We would almost certainly concede more as I don't see either Anelka or Ronnie tracking back like SWP or Joey but the basic system would take us much closer to how Barca played when Ronnie was at his best. With a bit of time and the right coaching I could easily see us playing some pretty exciting football. (All assuming that Ronnie was motivated to train and play)

. (All assuming that Ronnie was motivated to train and play)

Which is where Ten Cate comes in - the man almost entirely responsible for getting Ronnie's fitness to its peak and having him playing at his very best. I don't see why he couldn't do the same for us. In some ways Ronnie may be even more motivated to perform for us as he will be the main focal point of our creativity rather than one of a few.

. (All assuming that Ronnie was motivated to train and play)

Which is where Ten Cate comes in - the man almost entirely responsible for getting Ronnie's fitness to its peak and having him playing at his very best. I don't see why he couldn't do the same for us. In some ways Ronnie may be even more motivated to perform for us as he will be the main focal point of our creativity rather than one of a few.

You could be right. I just feel that someone who isn't prepared to come to training regularly (my understanding is that even in his halcyon days Ronnie didn't manage more than 50% of the Barca training sessions) and therefore holds himself above the rest of the squad is likely to cause disharmony. One of our biggest strengths is the togetherness that Jose engendered and which is still in tact under Grant seemingly. I would hate to lose that.

Probably will find Grant sticks with the 4-3-3

Belletti--------Terry--------Carvalho---------A.Cole

---------------------Mikel-------------------------

--------------Ballack--------Lampard---------------

J.Cole------------------------------------Ronaldinho

----------------------Anelka-----------------------

Obviously the personnell isn't set in stone. Essien might take back a place from either Ballack or Lampard and if SWP continues his good form he might even overtake J.Cole on the right. But I think Grant will probably be sticking with something like the 4-3-3 long term perhaps shifting just slightly towards a 4-2-3-1 on occasion (which isn't that far off being the same thing). I think the main difference between him and Mourinho is that of style, I think we will probably play narrower and more possession passing football.

I think it unlikely that Mikel will keep Essien out of the team or that Drogba will not be picked..

I was assuming Drogba's likely departure from the club at the end of the season, and like I said, the players aren't set in stone, more just giving people an idea as to the structure.

Archived