My worries

Guest -NM-
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I am beginning to worry about Chelsea Football Club.

Not because of our performances, although im certainly not thrilled about them.

We sacked Jose, probably the most successful and popular manager we've ever had, because the board wanted to play better football (or at least that's what they told us). Now i know that nothing has been said about Grant besides newpaper rumour mungering and fans complaining, but if we did sack Grant i am worried that we might end up being the next Real Madrid - constantly sacking our managers because of one season's slight disappointment, and never giving them a chance to settle and build like a Ferguson or a Wenger..

Thoughts?

I am beginning to worry about Chelsea Football Club.

Not because of our performances, although im certainly not thrilled about them.

We sacked Jose, probably the most successful and popular manager we've ever had, because the board wanted to play better football (or at least that's what they told us). Now i know that nothing has been said about Grant besides newpaper rumour mungering and fans complaining, but if we did sack Grant i am worried that we might end up being the next Real Madrid - constantly sacking our managers because of one season's slight disappointment, and never giving them a chance to settle and build like a Ferguson or a Wenger..

Thoughts?

Grant will never be a Ferguson or a Wenger - no matter how much time you give him

I didn't say that Grant would be. My simple worry is that the board will never give a manager time to settle and build, if the results aren't coming immediately. And, even though i would obviously prefer for us to be winning all the time, i think finding someone to build for the future is more important than short-term glory now.

If you look at Man Utd's squad and the quality of the young players they have, they are set for the next 5-6 years at least. Also Arsenal have lots of gifted young players who will no doubt serve them well for years to come, this is because both clubs's managers have been in place for a long time and have built up from the base of the clubs.

Whereas if i look at Chelsea's squad. The only young player who i think has a realistic chance of making it is Sinclair, and he is still nowhere near the quality that those two clubs have.

I agree with your concerns, but what concerns me more is that a lot of people on here were making the same comments as the Russian about Jose. Now he's gone we've got his mate in charge who is not fit to lace Jose's boots let alone manage his team and rightly so people are not happy. It just seems to me that no-body know's what they want, we want success - but for too many Jose wasn't exciting enough, we want to give managers a chance - but already Grant isn't good enough, we want to bringin the youngsters - as long as it doesn't have a negative effect on results. And on the flip side of all that we've got the press still trying everything they can to ruin any chance we've got of sustained success.

And we want our Chelsea back!!!!!!

What the f*ck, I'm in a right old state.

Guest Brian M

I did not want Jose to leave.

I do not believe there was anything wrong with the style of football he had us playing. A style of football that won us more trophies in 3 years than we'd won in the last 50 years. (Though I concede that a more adventurous style of play - especially when we were in front - would have been welcomed) But, I'd rather play dull football and win, than play sexy football and lose. I've followed this club my entire life, and like any long time fan, I've seen us lose far more games than we've won. So you'll excuse me if I fancy a bit of winning in my old age with my tea and Marie biscuits.

I do not believe for a second that Jose had 'lost the plot' and that the team was 'already going down hill' under him. Because, while we were not in our best run of form when he was forced out, that was largely due to off field pressure from RA effecting the team, than from anything JM did or didn't do. And be honest now, if there was ever a man you knew in your heart would turn things around for the club: it was JM.

I believe that JM would've won us the CL if RA had stopped forcing players on him and exerting influence over team selection. And I believe the problems we are now having are all of our own making. Or rather, of Roman's making.

Now, all that said, JM is gone and we have to look forward, rather than back.

To be a 'world class club' we have to have a world class squad, and a world class manager. And Grant - let's not beat around the bush here - would be lucky to get a management job at Grimsby. And even at Grimsby, he'd only get the job because of his little black book, rather than because of his ability as a manager. I've said from the moment Grant was appointed, that it was a mistake of Biblical proportions. And was I alone in that belief? Or was I just one voice in a million?

That was rhetorical by the way...

JM's team have managed to string together the results that have made Grant look good. Not Grant the manager. Because make no mistake, this team is running on a left over supply of patented, 'JM will to win'. Something that all but ran out against Sp*rs. Had JM had been there when we were 1 v 1 and extra time was looming in a cup final, however, you can bet your bottom dollar that he would've been topping up that tank with enough will to win to run an aircraft carrier.

Bottom line, yes changing managers all the time is not a good idea. But neither is hiring somebody who is demonstrably not up for the job. So in this case we have to cut our loses in the summer and get the RIGHT MAN FOR THE JOB. Someone who will insist on no interference from Roman or anyone else. Because if we don't, we will get exactly what we deserve next season, and for many seasons to come.

Well actually I'm not that concerned about changing managers for example in 3 year cycles. I think it is quite normal. I think Wenger and SAF are freaks of nature so to say. There are other examples of managers being many years with a same club but is that the only way to stay in the highest category of teams year after year?

I didn't say that Grant would be. My simple worry is that the board will never give a manager time to settle and build, if the results aren't coming immediately. And, even though i would obviously prefer for us to be winning all the time, i think finding someone to build for the future is more important than short-term glory now.

If you look at Man Utd's squad and the quality of the young players they have, they are set for the next 5-6 years at least. Also Arsenal have lots of gifted young players who will no doubt serve them well for years to come, this is because both clubs's managers have been in place for a long time and have built up from the base of the clubs.

Whereas if i look at Chelsea's squad. The only young player who i think has a realistic chance of making it is Sinclair, and he is still nowhere near the quality that those two clubs have.

If the club runs well with all the youth players and staff and so on I don't think the manager is that vital any more. Dont get me wrong he needs to be top quality but doesn't necessarily have be the same guy all the time..

JM didn't get along with the owner and he got the boot. Is that Abramovichs' fault or JM's? Both actually but JM was the employee and Abra employer. He should have known it.

ManU set up for the next 5-6 years with young players, eh NM? Name me some of our youngsters that you dont think will make it and why?

I agree with your concerns, but what concerns me more is that a lot of people on here were making the same comments as the Russian about Jose. Now he's gone we've got his mate in charge who is not fit to lace Jose's boots let alone manage his team and rightly so people are not happy. It just seems to me that no-body know's what they want, we want success - but for too many Jose wasn't exciting enough, we want to give managers a chance - but already Grant isn't good enough, we want to bringin the youngsters - as long as it doesn't have a negative effect on results. And on the flip side of all that we've got the press still trying everything they can to ruin any chance we've got of sustained success.

And we want our Chelsea back!!!!!!

What the f*ck, I'm in a right old state.

Totally agree Barn. I'm in a right old state too icon_sad.gif

From my own point of view, I really wouldn't mind us not winning trophies if you could see we were trying to play good football. But we're not. Of course we put up with Jose's (at times) very dull, grind out 1-0's, all the time we were competing for the big prizes. But I was one who sort of welcomed a change if it meant getting in a coach who was going to give us something really good to watch. But Grant is not that man. Not after witnessing the 0-0's against Liverpool and Olympiakos and then that abject display against Spurs. It was frankly embarrassingly bad.

Perhaps we do need need wholesale changes within the playing staff? Good squad on paper, but actually how many of them are capable of playing differently and playing the kind of exciting football we see Barca and Man Utd play?

We do need a clear out, both on the playing side and the coaching side. I guess it would be too much to ask to also get rid of those who are only interested in the "Global Brand" thing as opposed to getting back the fans that want to actually make a noise and really get behind their team?

Avrams wasn't brought in to win trophies remember....he was brought in to entertain us according to the clubs official line.

So has his style of football been an improvement? If yes then he has been relatively sucessful, if not he's a failure. That's the bottom line.

Walking out of Wembley hearing Spurs lifting the cup is not considered entertaining by my standards!