Burley to meet over future tomorrow

mad_mac

Well it seems that failing to qualify for the World Cup has seen the demise of Burley's tenure as the Scottish National coach! He has to meet tomorrow to "discuss his future."

I think since Walter Smith went back to Rangers, the Scottish team lost a lot of it''s momentum and unity. However, I'm not sure who the SFA have in mind to fill the soon to be vacant position. After Bertie Vogts, there was a common feeling that the Scottish National Coach should be a Scotsman, but I can't think of too many out there that would want the job. It has to be hard coming in from Italy or anywhere on the continent and trying to talk to a weegie! I mean who is available, Souness, Dalgleish?? And who, if anyone, would want to deal with teh SFA right now?

As stated in the Scotland v Holland match thread, the main problem lies within the infrastructure of Scottish football as a whole. A serious amount of time and effort needs to be put into developing youth, producing players and giving us an injection of new prospects. Right now we are relying on old legs and when I look to the future of Scottish football, it is very bleak. The SFA need to do something about this, and they need to do something NOW if they are even hopefull of qualifying for anything again in the future

Scott

The speculation has been focused mainly on a return for Walter Smith (very unlikely), Gordon Strachan and Craig Levein.

Best Scot they could get right now is David Moyes but they haven't as hope in hell of getting him.

Graeme Souness? He wouldn't be any worse than Strachan, but I'm not sure he'd be interested.

Exactly Steve, not sure what our options really are if we are wanting to stick with a Scottish manager. I can't help bt feel SAF will retire into some capacity with teh SFA, even if it's just to tell them to get the finger out. He'll never be the manager, but I'm sure he'll have something to say.

Seems that Strachan it'll be then....not too sure about that, but what else do we have?

Souness would be a disaster as Scotland manager. His intolerance of players who he feels are not up to scratch is the last thing Scotland need when the pool of players available are so mediocre. They need to do what France did years ago and by that I mean bite the bullet and appoint someone who is willing to take charge for a considerable period of time and be given the time to ditch a lot of the current crop and select a young squad which will develop over a period of 5 or 6 years.

Souness would be a disaster as Scotland manager. His intolerance of players who he feels are not up to scratch is the last thing Scotland need when the pool of players available are so mediocre. They need to do what France did years ago and by that I mean bite the bullet and appoint someone who is willing to take charge for a considerable period of time and be given the time to ditch a lot of the current crop and select a young squad which will develop over a period of 5 or 6 years.

That would be great, but the real question is "who would that person be?" I agree Souness would be terrible, but I hope you all realise when I metnioned him and Dalglish earlier I was mentioning them as if to say "if this is what we have, we're f**ked."

Souness would be a disaster as Scotland manager. His intolerance of players who he feels are not up to scratch is the last thing Scotland need when the pool of players available are so mediocre.

Aha, this is where my cunning plan would come into action - I'd appoint Souness as manager, but with Duncan Ferguson & David Speedie as his assistants to help calm things down when the going got rough :D