Best stand

Benjh

Hey Mates,

I'm a lifelong supporter living in the US, and I'm happy to report I'll attend my first game ever on 28th October, vs Bolton for the Carling Cup.

I'm wondering a few things:

1- What kind of atmosphere to expect? I'm guessing the carling cup vs Bolton is not quite the same than the PL vs MU or Arsenal, but still. Will it be packed? Lots of ST holders?

2- Which stand to buy my tickets for? I want to seat in the stand with the best crowd, and I don't mind standing up for 2 hours.

Is lower better than upper?

Other thoughts?

Can't wait to be there!

You won't be standing for two hours mate!!! The 'No Fun Police' put a stop to that years ago.

Personally I like the Matthew Harding and I normally go for the Upper as if you go for the lower there is a risk that you end up right down at pitch level and I am not too keen on that. Having said that I have found the atmosphere in the lower better than the upper.

Just make sure you avoid the East Stand.

Shed end will be given over to the Bolton fans as this is the norm in the Carling Cup. If you want to stand then your best bet is the Matthew Harding Lower. Sometimes we do get to stand through the whole game and indeed this was the case in the last round against QPR HOWEVER that was a West London derby so it's less likely to happen this time. Wherever you end up - enjoy the experience.

and tickets are cheap, 20 pounds, so I'm willing to sell them online and buy new tickets.

Btw I don't want to stand - only if standing is the norm in the best stand, then it's fine by me.

Edited by Benjh

Apparently my mate already bought tickets. West lower 1, row 7. Is this really too close to the pitch to enjoy the match?

You are gonna be near the Bolton fans which means you'll probably hear a lot of singing from them. 7 rows back won't be too bad - you'll get a reasonable view of the pitch from there.

I always go for Matthew Harding lower or Shed lower, cause I like to sing and be a part of the atmosphere.

West lower 1, row 7 isn't too bad. Have been placed at west stand once at a CL game and there were a decent atmosphere, though not boiling like it can be in MHL.

Would recommend a pint and a song pre-match at the So Bar though. You'll find So Bar oposite of the main entrance of the Stamford Bridge (the entrance closest to Fulham Broadway). Enjoy your trip mate. ::ChELSeAFaN::

Thanks a lot for all you guys help!

I'll be sure to check out the So bar for a pint (or two!).

Matthew Harding lower sounds good! I usually like to seat along the side of the pitch for a better view, but if MHL is where it's at, then it's where it's at.

Is there a difference between east and west MH?

Also, there seems to be plenty of seats left on the website, which surprises me a bit. How's the crowd for CC matches?

Thanks!

Ben.

Also, I was wondering, do you know what rows in Matthew Harding lower are restricted?

Right now the website offers me Row P, I'm just affraid I'll be all the way up with the higher stand obstructing my view.

Are double letters rows (AA) lower or higher than single (A)?

Thanks!

Also, I was wondering, do you know what rows in Matthew Harding lower are restricted?

Right now the website offers me Row P, I'm just affraid I'll be all the way up with the higher stand obstructing my view.

Thanks!

Row P is not restricted view and there's not much difference between the east or the west side of MHL.

MHL startes at row A and I think it ends at row JJ which is restricted view (higher stand obstructing your view). AA would be pretty high up in the stands. I usually get my tickets as close to the pitch as possible, but that's just preferanses. As for CC mathes they're not the most sought after games unless you're in the semi or the final. Hopefully it will sell out for the Bolton game.

Thanks!

My season ticket is in AA and it's a cracking view. Row P will be as well. Gate 11, 12 & 13 are the middle section with gate 12 directly behind the goal.

Geezer

I am surprised, and pleased, to hear that you can occasionally get away with standing. last time I got to stand for an entire game was the 'Champions League PLay Off' game (OK it wasn't actually a play off game but you know what I mean) against Liverpool back in the day when we finished above them without money!

I stood for the full 90 minutes but only because I was on the very back row and therefore had nobody behind me moaning at me to 'Sit daarn'

Benjh - for the Bolton CC game I would expect there to be between 35,000 and 40,00 tickets sold by the time the game comes along. If it was lower division opposition then that number would probably be less. The league cup tends to attract less people as the price of football is so bloody astronomic (especially in the current economic climate) and people just can't afford to go the number of games that clubs play.

Geezer

I am surprised, and pleased, to hear that you can occasionally get away with standing. last time I got to stand for an entire game was the 'Champions League PLay Off' game (OK it wasn't actually a play off game but you know what I mean) against Liverpool back in the day when we finished above them without money!

I stood for the full 90 minutes but only because I was on the very back row and therefore had nobody behind me moaning at me to 'Sit daarn'

Benjh - for the Bolton CC game I would expect there to be between 35,000 and 40,00 tickets sold by the time the game comes along. If it was lower division opposition then that number would probably be less. The league cup tends to attract less people as the price of football is so bloody astronomic (especially in the current economic climate) and people just can't afford to go the number of games that clubs play.

Champions league games we get to stand pretty much all the time. Having the back three rows empty helps (CL restrictions) but even if they were full we'd still be standing. The big premiership games - Utd, gooners and dippers is the same so I too was pleasantly surprised to find myself standing all through the QPRhahahaha game. Doubt very much it'll be the same for the Bolton game though.

If we are somehow told to sit down someone just starts a chorus of either 'stand up if u hate Tottenham' or 'stand up if u luv Chelsea' and eventually the stewards give it up as a lost cause. Even better is if they put an announcement over the tannoy about the perils of standing because that tends to get the whole stadium on it's feet. When will the club ever learn ::ChELSeAFaN::

If we are somehow told to sit down someone just starts a chorus of either 'stand up if u hate Tottenham' or 'stand up if u luv Chelsea'

What about a jolly rendition of 'Sit down if you're a Stephen Hunt'

Champions league games we get to stand pretty much all the time. Having the back three rows empty helps (CL restrictions) but even if they were full we'd still be standing. The big premiership games - Utd, gooners and dippers is the same so I too was pleasantly surprised to find myself standing all through the QPRhahahaha game. Doubt very much it'll be the same for the Bolton game though.

If we are somehow told to sit down someone just starts a chorus of either 'stand up if u hate Tottenham' or 'stand up if u luv Chelsea' and eventually the stewards give it up as a lost cause. Even better is if they put an announcement over the tannoy about the perils of standing because that tends to get the whole stadium on it's feet. When will the club ever learn :(

Was at the Newcastle game last season in the Shed end lower and one man (went to mow) was evicted for standing up while starting 'zigga zagga'. Easier to stand in the MHL without being told to 'sit down' by the people around you or getting evicted by the stewards.

Was at the Newcastle game last season in the Shed end lower and one man (went to mow) was evicted for standing up while starting 'zigga zagga'. Easier to stand in the MHL without being told to 'sit down' by the people around you or getting evicted by the stewards.

Yeah I've heard a few instances of that. The shed end has got a bad reputation of stewards chucking home fans (but not away ones) out. Guess there's too many of the 'old brigade' in the MHL for the stewards to chance their arm.

Benjh, I have sat in every single area of the ground at some point or other since the ground redevelopment finished. I was a ST Holder in the MHL but switched over to the Shed Upper three seasons ago. The game you are going to is not a high profile match and therefore the atmosphere won't be that great. However, that doesn't stop you trying to make your own contribution and, for what it's worth, here's my take on the different areas of the stadium.

MHU - Good view guaranteed, but usually not the liveliest in terms of atmosphere. Most of my mates have their ST's here.

MHL - Best for atmosphere by far, but if stuck at the back of the stand it's not the best view with the overhang of the Upper tier.

West Stand Lower - Where the Japanese tourists like to sit. You don't want to sit in the front rows as you're too low down, further back is OK. Up and down in terms of atmosphere depending on the opposition and how many Japanese tourists have managed to get tickets for that particular game.

West Stand Middle - If you are planning on sitting here could you lend me some money?

West Upper - Can consider sitting here if you're reasonably fit and don't suffer from vertigo. The back of the stand is the at the same altitude as Everest base camp. Take binoculars to view proceedings on the pitch. Generally, not great for atmosphere due to the lack of oxygen.

Shed Lower - Family tier

Shed Upper - Best view in the ground, especially the first six rows, (I sit in row 5). Atmosphere is better than it was previously since they allowed fans to hold ST's in this stand and since the away supporters were re-located. Also by far the easiest and quickest stand to enter and exit the ground.

East Lower - Same comments as West Stand Lower and you all also get the MHL "letter-box view" if stuck at the back of the stand. Can get lively if sitting in the corner of the East Lower adjacent to the Shed as you are next to the away supporters. Japanese tourists also like to sit here, if close to the team-benches, where they can take copious photos of the backs of the player's heads.

East Upper - Fantastic to place to sit and watch if you're a corpse. Last time I sat there Lord Lucan and Sheargar were sitting in the seats beside me. The people who generally sit there couldn't spell A-T-M-O-S-P-H-E-R-E let alone create one. Also, a truly awful stand to get in and out of.

Hope this helps and have a great time at the game.

Benjh, I have sat in every single area of the ground at some point or other since the ground redevelopment finished. I was a ST Holder in the MHL but switched over to the Shed Upper three seasons ago. The game you are going to is not a high profile match and therefore the atmosphere won't be that great. However, that doesn't stop you trying to make your own contribution and, for what it's worth, here's my take on the different areas of the stadium.

MHU - Good view guaranteed, but usually not the liveliest in terms of atmosphere. Most of my mates have their ST's here.

MHL - Best for atmosphere by far, but if stuck at the back of the stand it's not the best view with the overhang of the Upper tier.

West Stand Lower - Where the Japanese tourists like to sit. You don't want to sit in the front rows as you're too low down, further back is OK. Up and down in terms of atmosphere depending on the opposition and how many Japanese tourists have managed to get tickets for that particular game.

West Stand Middle - If you are planning on sitting here could you lend me some money?

West Upper - Can consider sitting here if you're reasonably fit and don't suffer from vertigo. The back of the stand is the at the same altitude as Everest base camp. Take binoculars to view proceedings on the pitch. Generally, not great for atmosphere due to the lack of oxygen.

Shed Lower - Family tier

Shed Upper - Best view in the ground, especially the first six rows, (I sit in row 5). Atmosphere is better than it was previously since they allowed fans to hold ST's in this stand and since the away supporters were re-located. Also by far the easiest and quickest stand to enter and exit the ground.

East Lower - Same comments as West Stand Lower and you all also get the MHL "letter-box view" if stuck at the back of the stand. Can get lively if sitting in the corner of the East Lower adjacent to the Shed as you are next to the away supporters. Japanese tourists also like to sit here, if close to the team-benches, where they can take copious photos of the backs of the player's heads.

East Upper - Fantastic to place to sit and watch if you're a corpse. Last time I sat there Lord Lucan and Sheargar were sitting in the seats beside me. The people who generally sit there couldn't spell A-T-M-O-S-P-H-E-R-E let alone create one. Also, a truly awful stand to get in and out of.

Great summary but you missed one area. The dugout. Reasonable atmosphere which gets extremely lively if the referee gives a debatable decision with a number of people converging on a bloke who calls himself the 4th offical though what he's actually officiating noone really knows. Every now and then you can stand right by the side of the pitch and make strange pointing gestures to players who haven't a kalou what you're on about. I also understand you don't have to pay to sit here (unless you do the stadium tour).

Shed Lower - Family tier

Sums it up very nicely. Sometimes mistaken for being one of the Japanese tourist myself because of my South Corean roots, but when people hear you talk cockney and join in for the songs they pretty much treat you like their own.

Have been placed once in the West upper and once in the East upper and you might as well watch the game on the telly.. East upper must be the worst I've ever experienced. There was absolutely no atmosphere whatsoever and all the old man next to me could say was 'oh, dear'. West was a little bit better as I sat next to some ST holders. We even got 'Carefree' going one time..

Loz, geezer, MHL_Blue, just: thanks so much for the help, mates! ::clap2::

Always great to find such a warm and welcoming forum.

Just: great summary, thanks a ton! I'll make sure to try the Japanese boards when I try and sell my ticket in West lower!

A friend of mine working in finance might be able to get seats in the boxes. I've told him:

:P

I'm happy to report I'll be seating in MHL, row P, section 13.

I'm really really excited about this, I can't wait. If one of you guys are around, don't hesitate to stop by and say hi, teach me a song or two!

Loz, geezer, MHL_Blue, just: thanks so much for the help, mates!

Always great to find such a warm and welcoming forum.

Just: great summary, thanks a ton! I'll make sure to try the Japanese boards when I try and sell my ticket in West lower!

A friend of mine working in finance might be able to get seats in the boxes. I've told him:

I'm happy to report I'll be seating in MHL, row P, section 13.

I'm really really excited about this, I can't wait. If one of you guys are around, don't hesitate to stop by and say hi, teach me a song or two!

Good seats mate ::clap2:: Try fanchants.com, they have audiofiles of the songs so you can learn the words and melody. You can also look up the word 'So Bar' on YouTube. Unfortunally not going to the Bolton game, but enjoy your trip and the game mate :P

Yeah I've heard a few instances of that. The shed end has got a bad reputation of stewards chucking home fans (but not away ones) out. Guess there's too many of the 'old brigade' in the MHL for the stewards to chance their arm.

The away fans pretty much standing all the time.. Too bad about the stewards in the Shed, this has been adressed by the fans forum in the meetings between the fans and the Chelsea board though... Haven't been to the Shed recently so don't really know if things has changer for the better.

• 10 months later...

Great thread, many thanks for the info guys, especially just!

I'm thinking the best place to try and get seats then would be either MH or Shed upper, but MHL is also worth a look too? I'd like a decent view of course but really want the atmosphere as well.

I'm guessing it's going to be a problem getting tickets in these places though which sucks, but I don't care what games I go to, even the games against smaller clubs of course, so hopefully I can get some tickets!

/looks into becoming a CFC member