Control movie - worth watching?

BlueBeard
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I recorded this movie last night, but Ian Curtis and Joy Division mean nothing to me. I know there's at least one fan of theirs on this forum, so I wondered if somebody might give me a bit of an insight into their work? I've just quickly flicked through the movie, and it looks like it may be interesting - is this really so? Thanks in advance ;)

No doubt in his own good time, Loz will let you know! Remember Ian Curtis used to be his avatar, before he inexplicably changed to the less delectable one he has now!

No doubt in his own good time, Loz will let you know! Remember Ian Curtis used to be his avatar, before he inexplicably changed to the less delectable one he has now!

Ah, I thought it was Loz who liked them! I never heard much of their stuff at the time (78/80), but I'm listening to The Best Of Joy Division on Spotify at the moment, and I quite like it. What's happening to me? I used to hate the Smiths and now I really like their stuff, and Morrissey's - is Loz using some kind of long distance mind control? :)

I think the film has one problem and that is the main character. Because the main character is such an introvert and outsider, he seemed very cold and distant in the movie. I know that's exactly as he's supposed to come across as, and I suppose Sam Riley does a great job in this sense, but when the character feels so distant, it's hard to feel sympathy for the character, especially when he acts the way he does towards his loved ones. It's a tragic tale, but it never really "delivered" on the emotional level. Anton Corbijn obviously knows how to create impressive imagery, but you need more than just surface to make a good movie. It's not bad, mind you, but on emotional level there aren't any real highs or lows. The movie just proceeds towards the inevitable end without ever really managing to pull you in, which I suppose is quite fitting when you consider that the movie is based on a book called "Touching from a Distance", but when the death of your main character doesn't feel any more dramatic than the rest of the movie, I think the director has done something wrong. For some reason Curtis' death felt like a "bigger deal"(so to speak) in 24 Hour Party People, although that movie was much lighter and had many comedic elements in it. If you've got it recorded, I think it's worth watching if you have two hours of spare time, but it's not a "must see" movie. Especially if Ian Curtis means nothing to you.

Edited by Maksimov

Thanks a lot for that, Maks!

Trouble is, I've been listening to Joy Division on Spotify for about an hour now, and find that I quite like them. I had a quick read up on the group and Ian Curtis, and now I'm intrigued. Trouble is, I just started watching some of their stuff on YouTube, and then watched some New Order and liked them too! Help!!!

Must say, the bass line in 'Transmission' is awesome!

I'll definitely be watching the movie later

Trouble is, I just started watching some of their stuff on YouTube, and then watched some New Order and liked them too! Help!!!

My favorite Joy Division/New Order song is Ceremony, which is a Joy Division song that they never recorded(as far as I know) with Ian Curtis, but I think it was the first(?) New Order single.

Don't listen to a word Maksimov says Steve.

The film is not intended to make you fall in love with Ian Curtis. It is not supposed to be an emotional roller coaster to get you teary eyed and full of remorse of regret. The direction of the film is absolutely top drawer. 24 Hour Party People is instantly forgettable in comparison to this.

it is the film of the book that Ian Curtis' wife wrote which was a warts and all look at what it was like for her to live with and love Ian Curtis. The film is made superbly, shot beautifully and acted incredibly. The very fact that the Ian and Debbie Curtis spend very little screen time together in the film just emphasises quite how brilliantly the film has been made as it is ultimately depicts the shattering affect things have on their relationship and both the central characters.

If the Smiths hadn't come along then Joy Division would be. head and shoulders, the finest band to come out of the extended Manchester area however you don't even need to be a massive fan of the band to enjoy the film (glad to hear you like them though - there isn't a band alive today that can hold a candle to them) as the music is not a major part of the film.

I guarantee you will like it Steve (won't surprise you to know I have a copy) and it ticks a number of extra boxes that you and I are very aware of.

Loz, please don't put words into my mouth. Feeling sympathy doesn't mean falling in love with the character, but when I was left feeling quite indifferent towards the character, I felt the movie was lacking something. Anton Corbijn is a great visual artist, but based on this I don't think he's a good storyteller. I didn't want and wasn't expecting an emotional rollercoaster, but I wasn't expecting such flat teflon treatment either.

Don't listen to a word Maksimov says Steve.

The film is not intended to make you fall in love with Ian Curtis. It is not supposed to be an emotional roller coaster to get you teary eyed and full of remorse of regret. The direction of the film is absolutely top drawer. 24 Hour Party People is instantly forgettable in comparison to this.

it is the film of the book that Ian Curtis' wife wrote which was a warts and all look at what it was like for her to live with and love Ian Curtis. The film is made superbly, shot beautifully and acted incredibly. The very fact that the Ian and Debbie Curtis spend very little screen time together in the film just emphasises quite how brilliantly the film has been made as it is ultimately depicts the shattering affect things have on their relationship and both the central characters.

If the Smiths hadn't come along then Joy Division would be. head and shoulders, the finest band to come out of the extended Manchester area however you don't even need to be a massive fan of the band to enjoy the film (glad to hear you like them though - there isn't a band alive today that can hold a candle to them) as the music is not a major part of the film.

I guarantee you will like it Steve (won't surprise you to know I have a copy) and it ticks a number of extra boxes that you and I are very aware of.

Sounds well worth watching, I'll let you know what I think when I've seen it. Many thanks for the explanation, Loz, much appreciated!

Loz, please don't put words into my mouth. Feeling sympathy doesn't mean falling in love with the character, but when I was left feeling quite indifferent towards the character, I felt the movie was lacking something. Anton Corbijn is a great visual artist, but based on this I don't think he's a good storyteller. I didn't want and wasn't expecting an emotional rollercoaster, but I wasn't expecting such flat teflon treatment either.

Fair enough however you did day 'character feels so distant, it's hard to feel sympathy for the character' - the film never intended to make you feel sympathy for him so why criticise it for failing to do so. Does Bambi get slaughtered for not haivng guts, guns and god?

By the way you can hear Ian Curtis singing a live version of Ceremony on the Still album. There is another version on the Heart and Soul box set (which I have here) which is a rehearsal. If you are interested I will get them sent over to you.

Disgusts me that New Order released it with Bernard Sumner on vocals.

Fair enough however you did day 'character feels so distant, it's hard to feel sympathy for the character' - the film never intended to make you feel sympathy for him so why criticise it for failing to do so. Does Bambi get slaughtered for not haivng guts, guns and god?

Sympathy was probably a poor word to describe what I was trying to say, but I think you need to have some certain qualities in the way you treat your main character to give the audience reasons why they should keep watching the story and I think it should have some sort of payoff in the end(this doesn't mean overly sentimental happy end) to justify why you stuck there until the end. It's often hard to make books work as a movie and I just think that Corbijn wasn't entirely succesful with this one. It's not a bad movie and I see what they were trying to do with the story, but I don't think it quite managed to do it. It was ok, but not great.

loz i find explaining joy division weary after all these years ...i tip my hat to you sir , im glad BB enjoys them though iseen them supporting the Buzzcocks at glasgow appolo , hooked for ever from that night