United losing Vidic?

Castiel

The agent of Manchester United defender Nemanja Vidic has added to the intrigue surrounding the player’s Old Trafford future, by suggesting the Serbian international has asked the recently deposed Premier League champions for more time before committing to a new deal.

During the January the transfer window the Manchester United stalwart was heavily linked with a move away from Old Trafford amid reports his young family and in particular his wife Ana, were unhappy in Manchester. Real Madrid and AC Milan were reportedly the main protagonists for his signature, and the tabloids suggested the arrival of Chris Smalling from Fulham, would pave the way for a £30 million transfer. Sir Alex Ferguson has consistently maintained that the Serbian is not for sale, and his superb form during the latter stages of the season suggested he 28-year-old had put any thoughts of a move to the back of his mind.

Vidic is contracted to Manchester United until 2012 but has thus far remained elusive when pressed on whether he would sign an extension at Old Trafford. The recent arrival of Jose Mourinho at Real Madrid has again reignited rumours of Vidic’s pending departure, and the player’s agent did little to quash the rumours when speaking to Sport.co.uk early today.

Paolo Fabbri told Sport.co.uk that the Manchester United star has asked Sir Alex Ferguson for more time prior to making a decision on his future.

Fabbri told Sport.co.uk in an exclusive interview: “At the moment there is no news. He has obviously left for the World Cup and is concentrating on that. We are waiting for information. We are waiting for Nemanja to tell us what we he wants to do, so at the moment we are waiting as it is up to him.

Fabbri was then questioned whether Manchester United had offered a new deal to the Serbian international:

“He is concentrating on something else so I guess it won’t be until after the World Cup that he makes a decision on his future. We have requested some time from Manchester United to think about things, and Nemanja does not want to look at things until after the World Cup.

Vidic’s representative denied there was concrete interest from Jose Mourinho and Real Madrid:

“I don’t know. We have not heard anything official from Real Madrid. And Nemanja has requested I do not speak about particular clubs while he is at the World Cup. Any eventual transfer will only take place after the World Cup.â€

The 28-year-old has been a mainstay of Manchester United’s recent success, helping Sir Alex Ferguson’s side win three Premier League titles and the 2008 Champions League. His partnership with Rio Ferdinand, when not interrupted by injury, is widely regarded as one of the finest in Europe and in the 2008-2009 season he was voted the club’s Player of the Year. Since his arrival in 2006 from Spartak Moscow, he has appeared 195 times for Red Devils scoring nine goals.

Since Arsenal is currently toothless and Citeh need at least another building season before they can be serious contenders for the title, I expect it to be yet another United v Chelsea race next season. If this happens do you think it'll seriously diminish their ability to challenge? With Rio constantly injured, they'll be stuck with Evans and Brown as their defence centre piece and the usual United unknowns who are becoming more and more insignificant while Fergie refuses to spend the Ronaldo money. VDS can't possibly go on for much longer either and that applies to much of their old guard. Is this finally the beginning of the end for them? Some irony in the fact that we'll be contending with the other side of Manchester when United finally do collapse under their own dead weight though.

If Vidic leaves then they are in big trouble if they dont repalce him with someone near his talent. With Ferdinand almost perma injured, Evans being sh*t and no-one else really coming through they will really struggle if he leaves. Brilliant.

After injuries and an underwhelming season I just dont see it anymore.

A year ago he was looking unbeatable and Real Madrid and Barca seemed to be closing in. Now that he's looked a little more human, I doubt either are gonna commit big money to him. An Italian move would make more sense, but I really doubt AC Milan are gonna be paying the big bucks to poach anyone's talent these days.

no unfortunately i can't see the loss of vidic being crucial either. many a time it's been said that man u would be screwed after losing a player .. beckham, cantona being good examples. and they've always bounced back.

if vidic leaves or looks off form/past his best, ferguson is shrewd enough and has plenty of time to find an adequate replacement.

no unfortunately i can't see the loss of vidic being crucial either. many a time it's been said that man u would be screwed after losing a player .. beckham, cantona being good examples. and they've always bounced back.

if vidic leaves or looks off form/past his best, ferguson is shrewd enough and has plenty of time to find an adequate replacement.

I'd wager Rooney leaving would be the killing blow to United though. I just hope we can fortify the title for the next 2 seasons or so, so that Fergie never beats the scoucers record. If anyone dethrones us let it be City. Us keeping him from achieving his last career goal would make those trophies all the sweeter.

Archived