Charlie Davies

ace

This is the Yank in me posting this, but Charlie Davies made his return to football the other night in the MLS. He is on loan from the French club Sochaux to D.C. United, and he came on as a sub and scored two goals.

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/03/20/charlie-davies-scores-twice-in-mls-debut/

One was a penalty, one was just rounding the keeper after his marker fell down, but good for him. This kid almost died about 1.5 years ago, was in a terrible car accident in which the SUV he was riding in was completely shredded and a girl in the car with him was killed; the car was literally split in half. Kid has great speed, and he terrorized Spain in the Confederation's Cup two summers ago. With how bad American strikers are at the moment (scored none of our 5 goals this summer in South Africa) the national team could use a healthy CD9 back in the lineup.

Anyways, I'm not sure if he'll ever live up to his pre-accident potential, but good to see him back on the field, doing what he loves, and having fun. ::clap2::

Bit of a surprise to me that he has not panned out in the French League Un, perhaps the change of lifestyle was too much for him. He is out on loan to DC United, and looked good so far. I wish him well, though it is a bit strange to me that he went back to play for the city where the horrible accident occurred. You would think he would have wanted to get as far away from DC as possible.

He was actually playing really well before the accident in France. He was a special talent before the accident. He only played in 8 games before the crash. He scored two goals in his debut. By far, was the most skilled with the ball and the fastest player on the USA side. He is still only 24 years old and is still a huge part of the team.

Edited by BrewCrew

Bit of a surprise to me that he has not panned out in the French League Un, perhaps the change of lifestyle was too much for him. He is out on loan to DC United, and looked good so far. I wish him well, though it is a bit strange to me that he went back to play for the city where the horrible accident occurred. You would think he would have wanted to get as far away from DC as possible.

Yeah, from what I gather, this loan to the MLS is just a way for Sochaux to finish his rehab. He broke a lot of bones in his leg, I'm sure they want to make sure he's fully fit before putting him back on the field (or selling him), and they see a first-team spot in America as a better way of doing that than sticking him in the reserves in France. I have a feeling he'll be back in Europe next year.

From D.C.'s point of view, there are so few "big names" in the MLS, and most of them play for New York or Los Angeles. I'm sure they are excited to have a player that a fair amount of people in the country know of by name, and am sure they could see a slight increase in the demand for their tickets. The crowd seemed pretty excited for him the other night.

He hasn't played a game for them since the accident and even then he only played 8 games so it's a bit unfair to say that he didn't pan out there.