AVB: "I think we're on for a great season"

Hutch

Villas-Boas vows to free Blues

Andre Villas-Boas has vowed to free his Chelsea players from previous "limitations" - and thinks the Blues "are on for a great season".

The new Blues boss has been lured from Porto, who scored a remarkable 145 goals in 58 games as they won the Portuguese double and Europa League last term.

The 33-year-old worked at Chelsea under Jose Mourinho, whose more pragmatic style reportedly frustrated the club's owner Roman Abramovich.

But Villas-Boas believes the key will be to take the shackles off as he aims to deliver the club's first Champions League crown.

"You free them (the players) from the limitations that they might have in a different kind of system," he told Chelsea magazine. "But, in the end, you make them believe in their qualities and this is the most important thing.

"The club hasn't stopped in time since I left, it has evolved in various ways but to have the kind of empathy that I have with the people is decisive.

"It goes from top to bottom and it's with people who meant a lot to me when I was here.

"We had a good three-and-a-half years here and recalling all these people, what they are able to do and what their ambitions are, is something important to me.

"I think we are on for a great season.

"Coming here is not just a question of big, radical changes. You have to be clear in what you do and decide well and I'm confident that we have enough people with the quality here to go forward."

LINK

Agree with EdinburghBlue. Didn't our squad last year have the most goals of any title-winning team? Pretty much just cos it's not Arse-aills that the press doesn't w**k off about it. Anyway I think we do need some, if not radical changes to our squad. Still quality players but they are closer to the end of their shelf lives if we're being brutally honest.

He's a new manager who's just joined the club. To openly come out and say we need wholesale changes without properly going over the entire squad is not the best way to build player confidence. What he says and what he thinks are two totally different things.

He's a new manager who's just joined the club. To openly come out and say we need wholesale changes without properly going over the entire squad is not the best way to build player confidence. What he says and what he thinks are two totally different things.

That's exactly right, and that's also why "I think we are on for a great season." is far more relevant than: "I'm confident that we have enough people with the quality here to go forward" .

Change that slightly, maybe to something like "I'm confident that we will have enough people with the quality here to go forward", and you might be on to something.

Read it again. Where does he say we don't need changes? "Coming here is not just a question of big, radical changes". Now you could read that several ways. It could mean that big, radical changes are required but also that "you have to be clear in what you decide". Think a little but deeper and you'll realise that we're not just talking about changes of personnel, but also changes in approach, tactics, formations, training - you name it. These changes WILL happen. There have already been fairly radical changes in coaching staff, and I think we can expect a couple, maybe several, signings and departures between now and the beginning of the season.

So yes, I agree with AVB here. I also think that "we are on for a great season".

I do hope we are on for a great season as AvB says.... I think he will make 2 or 3 changes as we do need a little bit of "flair" introduced to the team, we have been very machine like and while it was successful as teams struggled to match our play initially, it can be tactically nullified, if as we had, injuries to key personnel happen and we cant replace them like for like, essien, lampard, drogba for example have all had long term absences.

If we can get a bit of width added as again IMHO malouda struggles to get wide left and usually blocks of Ashley when he does, we also need a midfielder with a bit of vision to play the killer pass, Torres and Gerrard were masters and i think that Torres felt a bit more comfortable when yossi came into the team at the backend of the year as he knows what type of ball Torres likes, i also feel that Drogba (if he's still here) also likes that type of ball where he's running onto it off the shoulder of the defender .... but hey im not a football coach and im sure that AvB is more qualified than me :laugh2:

From the Guardian, more in the same vein:

André Villas-Boas wants Chelsea players to 'die for the cause' • Manager says he must get players believing in his methods

• Reiterates desire for side to adopt a more attacking style

André Villas-Boas has stressed he will only succeed as Chelsea manager if he gets the squad to believe in his coaching methods so they will "die" for the cause.

The 33-year-old's treble success at Porto last season – the Portuguese club won the domestic title, cup and the Europa League – was built largely on his devotion to preparation and attention to detail. Villas-Boas will adopt the same approach at Stamford Bridge, in contrast to the more relaxed reign of his predecessor, Carlo Ancelotti.

"It's not the case that managers who approach the game in the other way are not successful," Villas-Boas told Chelsea magazine. "You can be successful in the game in various different ways. The most important thing is that the idea you want to sell, the players are able to buy it; that it doesn't seem something so out of the ordinary that they are not able to commit and die for you and for the cause."

Villas-Boas also reiterated his desire to bring a more attacking style of play to Chelsea. Porto scored a remarkable 145 goals in 58 games last term, something he believes was born of his ability to "free players of decision-making".

"It's not just a case of the manager arriving, changing things and that's why they score," he said. "You free them from the limitations that they might have in a different kind of system but, in the end, you make them believe in their qualities and this is the most important thing. For you to exploit the potential of every player to the full, you have to give them a certain amount of freedom, or else they will never test it.

"So we encourage them to make better decisions, give them freedom of choice a lot. Once you go towards finding that talent, you can end up with players transcending themselves and doing things they thought they could never do."

Asked if his time working as an opposition scout for Chelsea between 2004 and 2007 would help him, Villas-Boas said: "I think it always makes things easier. You know where the people you need are and you know the skills they have. Of course, the club hasn't stopped in time from when I left, it has evolved a lot in various ways. But to have the kind of empathy that I have with the people around is decisive.

"I was part of that group dynamic when we were here before with José [Mourinho]. Fortunately, they were good times for the club – we won trophies – and that's the kind of motivation I want to raise within our group.

"It's a big challenge, of course. We are speaking about one of the biggest clubs in the world. Everybody knows the expectations of the Chelsea supporters. I think we are on for a great season. Coming here is not just a question of big, radical changes. I'm confident that we have enough people with the quality here to go forward."

LINK

We don't need a revolution because one has been sneaking in. Ramires, Luiz, Torres - three major new signings we've only recently obtained. We're laying siege on Spurs for Mordic who will be a 4th then we'll just need some width and you've practically got a new Chelsea.