The Paper Man?

Snedger
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Chatting away with my dad last night about this move business we touched upon the change in atmosphere and the change in the kind of fans who go these days. Anyway, we were reminiscing about our support in the 80’s and 90’s and he mentioned a bloke who we saw at virtually every away game. Not a young man, he wore a grey/dark blue rain mac and always had a bunch of newspapers with him. I’m sure he was well known amongst fans as the Paper Man.

Does anyone remember him and know anything about him? I always got the impression that he travelled alone and always seemed quite mysterious.

Chatting away with my dad last night about this move business we touched upon the change in atmosphere and the change in the kind of fans who go these days. Anyway, we were reminiscing about our support in the 80’s and 90’s and he mentioned a bloke who we saw at virtually every away game. Not a young man, he wore a grey/dark blue rain mac and always had a bunch of newspapers with him. I’m sure he was well known amongst fans as the Paper Man.

Does anyone remember him and know anything about him? I always got the impression that he travelled alone and always seemed quite mysterious.

Yep i know exactly who you mean, he always walked up & down the front of the benches during games, at away games we thought he had loads of papers to pass the time of the journey but he always had papers under his arm at home games as well, we knew him as "Daily" as well as paperman, i havent seen him for years the last i heard of him was he collapsed at Arsenal in the CL game & was refusing to leave, an ambulance came & he was taken to hospital, i never did hear the outcome & sadly i dont think he's been seen since(hope i'm wrong & he's ok)

Anyone remember a fella called squeaky? little deaf & dumb fella covered in tattoo's who was partial for a bit of fv, i saw him attack a big Man Utd lump after a game once, he didnt do too well though as he couldnt reach the fella's face/head & resorted in to punching the fella in the stomach while the big lump was saying "what the f@ck you doing" lol!

We've had loads of charcters over the years sadly now most of who are proberly priced out.

• 1 month later...

The "Paper man", now that IS a blast from the past. I saw this bloke at every game - home and away for many seasons. We always commented on him but know very little about him, just that he was always there. Oh, and I never actually ever saw him reading the papers he used to carry tucked away under his arm, wearing his mac.

• 2 weeks later...

• 9 months later...

Yep i know exactly who you mean, he always walked up & down the front of the benches during games, at away games we thought he had loads of papers to pass the time of the journey but he always had papers under his arm at home games as well, we knew him as "Daily" as well as paperman, i havent seen him for years the last i heard of him was he collapsed at Arsenal in the CL game & was refusing to leave, an ambulance came & he was taken to hospital, i never did hear the outcome & sadly i dont think he's been seen since(hope i'm wrong & he's ok)

Anyone remember a fella called squeaky? little deaf & dumb fella covered in tattoo's who was partial for a bit of fv, i saw him attack a big Man Utd lump after a game once, he didnt do too well though as he couldnt reach the fella's face/head & resorted in to punching the fella in the stomach while the big lump was saying "what the f@ck you doing" lol!

We've had loads of charcters over the years sadly now most of who are proberly priced out.

Sorry for the well late post, i was chatting with a mate about the little fella im sure he was always in a denim jacket and jeans i remember him charging into west ham he let out a high pitched sqeual and off he went!!

Knew TANK and FINNY...I remember Tank having an "internal" challenge in the shed with someone who wanted to be tougher..Tank won...Bill Finney...Met him as a skinny skinhead..Most trains away...Last saw him years past as a rather rotund toothless boozer...Once kicked me in the bollocks with his high leg martins..He was being playful at the time..Once told a few of his pals i was a Man City fan so theyd pop me as i went out with an ex of his :laugh2:

Edited by Mike Carefree

Does anyone remember 'Tank's first name?

I remember once in the 80's, my Dad met up with some people at the old pub in Kings Road. There was a guy nicknamed Tank there in that mob.

Nah..just always knew him by his first middle n surname...Tank...There were 2 Tanks actually...The one i remember was a greek looking fellow with what you may describe as wire wool hair

Just remembered another occasion in TANKS group...(were you at this one BB)...We were roaming around Kings x n Euston stns after a match....Millwall fans were chasing a mob past us..The mob they were chasing were man utd fans....When millwall dispersed the manx came for us...Tank wanted to fight em but it was a silly option with the circumstances....

One name ive mentioned before now lives in southport...Steve Ballard.....Great man but was a logistics nightmare, and i laugh still at his antics...On many occasions he would arrange transport , ie car , for a match , which could be home or away. We would be nervous because something would always happen before we even left town..We could never understand how many times this could happen...Coincidence?...Well. we would arrange a time and place to meet for wherever...Steve would turn up...Low n behold within 2 mins hed say..."oh by the way , ive just gotta do something before we leave"..He would then proceed to pull out a f**king great car part out of the boot that hed bought, and wed all have to work at superspeed to fit the bloody thing to the car before we left...we were scared everytime..Once we had to change the whole water thing at the front of the car.....MAAAAAN

Heres one for lots of us....Us oldens and you young ones must know BIG BOB....Big Bob has had a stall in fulham rd for years now..His stall is ....as you walk from FB stn towards the ground hes at the first corner on theleft....Big Bob ive known since early 70s.I remember him n his Bro going everywhere too..At Bristol city (the season they smashed our pub in fulham rd) we decided to payback...The pub we picked was choca with BC..we had a pop at it and they wernt interested in doing anything about it..Untill....A few of their lads came from nowhere and attacked..I wasbeing kicked and BOB chased em off like a rottweiller...Every year i go n buy something from his stall whether i want it or not..Saw him in Basildon on fri while my LADY did some bits...we exchanged pleasantries and went about our biz....

We were roaming around Kings x n Euston stns after a match

We used to go a wandering at these stations generally by meeting up with other pockets of Chelsea on the tube. The annoying thing is I cannot seem to remember any specific names and people who were there. :slap_face:

We used to go a wandering at these stations generally by meeting up with other pockets of Chelsea on the tube. The annoying thing is I cannot seem to remember any specific names and people who were there. :slap_face:

I think a lot of chaps we knew of were more chelsea aquaintances who wed meet en route week in week out..Nicknamed but not knowing real names...One may drink travel and gang up together but when the match was done, your immediate pals n them dispersed..I have trouble remembering my own name Edited by Mike Carefree

Remember being quite young and doing the kings x etc hunt with other chelsea. How silly that on one occasion the cops caught 2 of us and after a search they said stand facing the wall with your arms up....If youmove your nicked.....We stupidly believed this and was in position at kngs x for ages while passing people must have wondered what we were doing

Nah..just always knew him by his first middle n surname...Tank...There were 2 Tanks actually...The one i remember was a greek looking fellow with what you may describe as wire wool hair

That's the same fella I remember. I may have been up at Kings Cross that time you mention, but can't really remember - so many rows, so little time back then.

Best I can remember at Kings X was while waiting for our Football Special(s) at St.Pancras to go to Derby, first game of the season, 73/74 I think. There must have been well over a thousand of us waiting outside the station, when we heard a row going on up the road. Turns out Arsenal had gone to Euston to have a drink while waiting for Man.Utd and 'bumped into' the Cockney Reds who were waiting there too. They were chasing each other down the road to where we were, so we chased 'em back up towards Euston.

Upon our return to St.Pancras we found a mob of West Ham waiting near Kings Cross for Newcastle to arrive, turned out to be the first time I'd been in a Chelsea mob which got a result over the spammers! The old bill were going mental as they were far too outnumbered to sort it all out, what with four mobs getting involved - then just to confuse things, a mob of Geordies arrived early at Kings Cross, and it all went off again.

Great start to our day, then we had a rest on the Specials (at least 2, maybe3) before steaming into the Derby mob and rucking with them before, during and after the match. Superb day out, really enjoyed it!

That's the same fella I remember. I may have been up at Kings Cross that time you mention, but can't really remember - so many rows, so little time back then.

Best I can remember at Kings X was while waiting for our Football Special(s) at St.Pancras to go to Derby, first game of the season, 73/74 I think. There must have been well over a thousand of us waiting outside the station, when we heard a row going on up the road. Turns out Arsenal had gone to Euston to have a drink while waiting for Man.Utd and 'bumped into' the Cockney Reds who were waiting there too. They were chasing each other down the road to where we were, so we chased 'em back up towards Euston.

Upon our return to St.Pancras we found a mob of West Ham waiting near Kings Cross for Newcastle to arrive, turned out to be the first time I'd been in a Chelsea mob which got a result over the spammers! The old bill were going mental as they were far too outnumbered to sort it all out, what with four mobs getting involved - then just to confuse things, a mob of Geordies arrived early at Kings Cross, and it all went off again.

Great start to our day, then we had a rest on the Specials (at least 2, maybe3) before steaming into the Derby mob and rucking with them before, during and after the match. Superb day out, really enjoyed it!

You are an OFFICIAL RETIRED FIELDMARSHALL..(2 star)

Bill Vinny Finny, another proper old skool fella, know him well, saw him last season & had a photo taken with him as i hadnt seen him for a while.

Also got a few pics of him from European trips, Le Harve away on the ferry, "vinny" slumped smashed out his nut on the deck of our ferry, middle of the night with bottle of vodka under his arm lol!

With characters like that that have been posted about you cant help wonder what sort of characters if any, younger fans will talk about in years to come when their our age, bet there's not many :sad:

It'll be "remember the bloke in blue face paint & curly wig" :sad:

Heres a couple of others

Home and Away in the 70s onwards

Scotty, Celtic (tattoo always on show) and Taffy.

Remember one of them was interviewed after the Feyenoord? v Spuds away troubles in Holland evidently a few Chelsea went along.

Edited by Nitro

I knew a Scotty from Roehampton, but I'm pretty sure the guy you're referring lived around North West London, Kilburn or maybe Willesden. He was a good mate of Dave Bear's, who at the time I knew him, lived in a bedsit not far from King's Cross. I crashed round his gaff one night coming back late from some away up North. Dave got nicked up Blackburn one time for arguing the toss with the old bill after they'd turfed the two of us out of their end.

I remember a guy Tank from Essex, Romford way I think, hung around with a guy called Tiny.

And yes, Bill Finney was from the Elephant. I could tell you stories, but I won't! We had some right characters over the years, it's true. Anyone remember the Catford Psycho's? I remember that lot up West after a cup final. Nicking those plastic copper's bonnets from souvenir shops,. doing the traffic cop act in the streets. One of the them ran down the railway tracks trying to stop a train, I kid you not! Leggett from Greenwich, he liked to be known as "killer". Nicked a set of darts out of a pub once, threw one at me, I threw it back - stuck in his leg. Sorry John!

Heres a couple of others

Home and Away in the 70s onwards

Scotty, Celtic (tattoo always on show) and Taffy.

Remember one of them was interviewed after the Feyenoord? v Spuds away troubles in Holland evidently a few Chelsea went along.

Lets see now....These may be the same or not....I was aware of a TAFFY...He had a small group in the CBL when we tried to take it...Saw this one often...Dark short smart haircut...I always saw him in jeans and a brown v neck jumper...I swear he never removed them in years....I lso remember a bloke they called.....YOULLL ALL KNOW HIM.....DIESEL....A geeky looking chap with specs....Drank like a machine...Skinny and always had a proper jacket on with a celtic silk scarf on....Last time i saw DIEsel was at orient in the 70s...Coz i used to live near there and i had a small group of walthamstow boys with me i was showing off...Lovely day...We were outside a pub and i was verbaling a wet spam as a few turned up for that one....It turned out it was gonna be a one on one between a spammer who had parked his motorbike up and me showing off after two sips of beer...All i remember was DIESEL picking me up in roars of laughter...Yep it was a one punch scenario Edited by Mike Carefree