2004 - 2011. A Comparison

Nibs

I know we shouldn’t look back but I’ve heard a lot of comparisons made between AVB and Mourinho’s first seasons. I just wanted to compare this current squad with the squad which Mourinho had in that all successful 2004/2005 season and it’s easy to see why we are struggling. I haven’t bothered with the complete squads – just the key players who play more often than not.

Cech 22......................................................Cech 29

Johnson 20.................................................Bosingwa 29

Paulo 25........................................................Ivan 27

Gallas 27................................................... JT 31

JT 24.............................................................Luiz 24

Carvalho 26.................................................Alex 29

Bridge 24.......................................................Cole 30

Makalele 31...................................................Mikel 24

Tiago 23..........................................................Ramires 24

Joey Cole 23..................................................Meireles 28

Scot Parker 23.................................................Lamps 33

Lamps 26..........................................................Mata 23

Duffer 25.........................................................Malouda 31

Robben 20......................................................Torres 27

Eidur 26...........................................................Anelka 32

Drogba 26........................................................Drogba 33

Kezman 25..........................................................Sturridge 22

I know I haven't exactly compared like for like but how many of today's squad would get in the 2004/5 squad? Not many.

So many of Mourinho's side were at their peak or yet to approach it whereas AVB has a side largely in decline or just inferior. Look at the players we once had who could turn a game - Robben, Duffer, Joey & Eidur.

I saw a few highlights if matches from that season on Chelsea TV the other day and players like Drogba and Lamps looked so lean and fit compared to how they are now - it was a reality check.

Edited by Nibs

How many of the 04/05 squad's best years were behind them? You could argue a case for Makele, even though he gave us great service and Kezman, in hindsight, had peaked in Holland.

The current squad? Drogba, Anelka, Lampard, Bosingwa, Terry, Cole and Malouda. I'd also argue a strong case for adding in Torres and Cech as well.

How many of the 04/05 squad's best years were behind them? You could argue a case for Makele, even though he gave us great service and Kezman, in hindsight, had peaked in Holland.

The current squad? Drogba, Anelka, Lampard, Bosingwa, Terry, Cole and Malouda. I'd also argue a strong case for adding in Torres and Cech as well.

Cech really?

Not as consistant as he used to be and unlikely he ever will be.

I think this is due to him being exposed more than in recent seasons. He's still made some cracking saves this season, most recently Ballack comes to mind. Under other regimes he was never under so much constant pressure from attacks, and relatively easy positions for players to score from. Still he has made some poor errors as well such as arsenal being beat at his near post. However, still a top quality keeper and won our player of the year last season.

Great post Nibs.

I was thinking along the same lines when watching Chelsea vs Newcastle, during Mourinhos first season, on ChelseaTV. I hadn't seen matches from that time for a while and I could see a huge difference in the sides then and now. As you point out with the ages of the players available to Jose and Andre it has mostly to do with players now being over their best. I didn't really think that the football was any better passing wise back then but the more youthfull players during Jose's time would cover a lot more ground, were more explosive and could thus battle harder and cover when mistakes were made. Now there is a general lack of pace and energy in our team. In Jose's time even if the team was playing bad it could just fight harder than the opponent and get the win that way but now it seems that too many teams put in more effort than we do and that is sad to see.

Another obvious thing that a lot of posters have mentioned is that the team back then had a proper ballanc to it. Players weren't playing out of position and the width was created by two great wingers not ageing fullbacks.

Cech really?

Have to agree on Cech.

Still a great keeper on his day but wouldn't have swapped him for anyone back then whereas now, I don't think he is even in the top three keepers in the premiership.

Have to agree on Cech.

Still a great keeper on his day but wouldn't have swapped him for anyone back then whereas now, I don't think he is even in the top three keepers in the premiership.

I think this is harsh, its a case of being under the microscope again, hardets position on the pitch and unless your pitch perfect you will always come of worse with critasisem but i can think of a number of matchs last season and this season where chec has saved the points.

Had the same thoughts Nibs, the offloading should have started five years ago, funny how the people allegedly responsible for transfers, i.e. the board, (not including Roman) are still in their jobs.

Edited by Tim W

Had the same thoughts Nibs, the offloading should have started five years ago, funny how the people allegedly responsible for transfers, i.e. the board, (not including Roman) are still in their jobs.

I agree. We should have been quicker in realizing Kalou, Mikel etc are not up to the required standard and shipped them off along with some older heads and brought some replacements long ago. Its even more worrisome that these guys are not realizing the obvious and offering Drogba another year extension.

Carlo's double looks increasingly impressive considering the squad he won it with.

Im sorry , but you guys ranting about cech just doesnt sum up at all

Cech is playing the current way he is playing because of the strategies , when you play highline , you have to charge and commit yourself so that you give less time for the opposition to either play out or to take a shot

thats how the high line works

You cant decide to play a high line and ask cech to sit at his goal line like he used to before , because then youll give them an easy chance to beat the offside trap

You also see cech charging half way through our half just to clear the ball , because thats how high line functions

Its backfiring rapidly , and you guys are assaulting cech , which i dont think is correct , because he is a top class keeper.

Compared to the other PL keepers who are shining at the moment , if you take their share of bad games , it looks much much nastier when you compare it to that of big pete's

So dont generalize and say hes bad , and that other keepers are good atm , just because hes in a bad run of form , and isnt really getting much support from the usually rock-steady chelsea defence(yes rocksteady in previous years)

Im sorry , but you guys ranting about cech just doesnt sum up at all

Its backfiring rapidly , and you guys are assaulting cech , which i dont think is correct , because he is a top class keeper.

Compared to the other PL keepers who are shining at the moment , if you take their share of bad games , it looks much much nastier when you compare it to that of big pete's

So dont generalize and say hes bad , and that other keepers are good atm , just because hes in a bad run of form , and isnt really getting much support from the usually rock-steady chelsea defence(yes rocksteady in previous years)

He's still a great keeper but not as good as he was and that's not all down to the defence and the way we are playing. Surely, the sign of a great keeper is to step up when the defence aren't performing as well as they used to? He still makes many great saves but this season has let a number of soft goals in which can't all be blames on the defence.

Right now, I would say Hart, Riena and Krul are all showing more consistency than Cech. Krul in particular has been brilliant and tends to have a lot more to do than the keepers at the top clubs.

Edited by Nibs