A couple of questions

mad_mac

Mod's if this belongs somewhere else, please move it, but I really didn't know where to put this.

Today, as in years past we've always seemed to lack that "crativity in the final third." And I always have to ask, why? Not, why do we lack it, but why hasn't it been addressed. I thought it had been addressed by the signing of Mata, and then we put him out wide and continue to play with three in the middle that are industrious, yet lack any penetration to that final third.

We tried with it under Carlo with the Diamond, and in our double winning season we were scorig for fun with the Diamond formation. Under Jose when we had Duff and Robben it seemed like that was where our creativity and penetration was coming from.

Today, every time Sturridge or Mata got the ball out wide, they were surrounded by 4 Villa defenders, leading us to the usual pass back and allow Villa to park the bus. No penetration and no options, which leads me to....

The other question I do have, and maybe this ties into the way we are currnetly lacking that "final 3rd" penetration, but why on earth do we only ever have one player in the box when we do attack? The number of times I've asked this question in recent times in the live match chat is probably getting as boring as watching us play these days. But I can't udnerstand why.

We play down the wings on a counter, or with some good passing, and then when a ball does come into a potentially dangerous area, there is no one there.

If AVB is going to win us over and prove his worth, I'd like to see him find a balance between defending and attacking. he showed he can change his tactics for Valencia and City, but then we see nothing new against Fulham, Tottenham, or Villa and it has cost us.

I'd like to see some additions, as we all would, and AVB's signings have been good. I just hope his new signings are as good, but more importantly he has the tacticall nous to use them wisely. That to me is my biggest concern, as there is a large gap between a scout and a manager.

Thanks

Scott

Edited by mad_mac

You'll get no argument from me - I thought we looked at our best today when Torres came and drifted into the box. The Torres and Drogba link up almost work but Drogs put it wide. Perhaps we should try a game with them playing up front together - doesn't really fit in with AVB's style at all, but the way we're playing at the moment, I'd try anything.

That's the thing, surely AVB has to be willing to try something else, and if it is Drogba and Torres, or a new formation (which he will have to do during the ACN) it would be good to see. Bt he also has to start telling more folk to push into the box when attacking

That's the thing, surely AVB has to be willing to try something else, and if it is Drogba and Torres, or a new formation (which he will have to do during the ACN) it would be good to see. Bt he also has to start telling more folk to push into the box when attacking

I am kind of bewildered by the fact that they seem to NEED to be told to push into the box when attacking. I thought all boys were BORN knowing that.

I am kind of bewildered by the fact that they seem to NEED to be told to push into the box when attacking. I thought all boys were BORN knowing that.

What kind of box are you alluding to?

Its a good point. Neither Drogba or Torres are spending enough time in the box. Torres should be living in there but he comes into midfield for some reason. If both of them are consistently doing it, it must be under instruction or something.

We do create a LOT these days. The problem is nobody is putting the chances away. How many misses did Rambo have alone against Spurs? Why wasn't Drogba where he was to put the finish on those plays? Yesterday Mata ran through 2 Villa defenders, played a cutback from the line right across the goalmouth and nobody was there to tap it in. You couldn't ask for an easier chance. He had 2 defenders beaten and the keeper covering the near post, but nobody was in the box to convert it.

When DD and others go off to ANC we change to 4231. Torres up front. Mata drifting and Sturridge wide. Sturridge needs to be ordered to pass the ball. In some situations his shots from acute angles rather than passing are getting silly.

When DD and others go off to ANC we change to 4231. Torres up front. Mata drifting and Sturridge wide. Sturridge needs to be ordered to pass the ball. In some situations his shots from acute angles rather than passing are getting silly.

Couldn't agree more. That could be said about all players when they get within shooting distance....they all seem to shoot rather than try to pick a pass to a team mate that may be in a decent position. Frustrating.

Couldn't agree more. That could be said about all players when they get within shooting distance....they all seem to shoot rather than try to pick a pass to a team mate that may be in a decent position. Frustrating.

Meireles is the biggest culprit of that. Incredibly frustrating!

I'm thinking a new winger in January would help us out; a 4-2-3-1 would be ideal.

----------------------Cech--------------------------

Bran--------Luiz------------Terry--------Cole---

---------------Ramires----Romeu----------------

--Studge-------------Mata--------------Winger-

-----------------------Torres------------------------

That's what I'd like to see us playing, at least during the ACoN. Really think we need a new winger, though, as the best we have at the moment is Malouda and I'm not sure he's up to it anymore.