Forget the past let's look forward to 2012

Star

First of all happy new year to all the posters here on the best Chelsea forum anywhere in the world.

Ok, possibly we have just finished the worst calendar year of the Roman era but I believe it's time to draw a line and recognise led by AVB this is a new Chelsea, unlike the one inherited and engineered by the great Jose Mourinho.

Only Torres, Luiz, Sturridge, Romeu, Ramires, Mata, Mceachran (Hopefully) form part of the Chelsea revolution with Cahill the probable addition in the next few days. Add Lukaku and the likes of Piazon from the reserves and it is easy to see we are a team in transition to the point that it will be only realistic for us to qualify for the Champions League as we did with the likes of Gronkjaer and co. under Claudio.

Whether it's January or the summer, Roman will flex his financial muscles and I believe despite rumours to the contuary he has faith in AVB to turn us round and challenge for the title again.

We know we have made mistakes in the past, when Joey Cole thumped in the goal to secure our second title we should have battered Man Utd for years to come, they had a structure in place to respond and in doing so never were in a fight like us to qualify for the Champions League even when we looked set to dominate English football for a decade.

We have the best facilities in the country and have young players coming through. We have survived the Kenyon years much like the working class survived the Thatcher years and as a club finally we have something to develop and secure a long standing conveyabelt of talent.

It finally looks like Malouda and Kalou are going, Lampard AND Terry once Cahill arrives will be rested more and more.

I'm not convinced Meireles is our midfield answer, but Essien fingers crossed might well be around for 2-3 years.

We could play Terry and Cahill and try Luiz marauding forward from Right Back, but it's clear we need a striker and two world class wingers.

Er wasn't it Robben, Duff and Drogba that changed things for the good ?

Things 'ain't as bad as they seem and nor will be 4th place ...

Agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments Star. The main thing above all else this season is to ensure we qualify for the Champions League next season. Failure to do so will result in the evolution of our club being slowed considerably as a result of being unable to attract the type of players we will need to evolve effectively due to not being able to promise the holy grail of football as an incentive.

We could play Terry and Cahill and try Luiz marauding forward from Right Back, but it's clear we need a striker and two world class wingers.

Er wasn't it Robben, Duff and Drogba that changed things for the good ?

Things 'ain't as bad as they seem and nor will be 4th place ...

Two world class wingers like Hulk, Hazard, Bale etc would make all the diffrence. We desperatly need players that can advance on their own with dribbling and pace, majority of the opportunities and space we have out wide are lost due to support passes. In the game against Aston Villa we were crossing the ball from midfield since majority of our players cant seem to dribble past 1 player.

With 2 good wingers, 3 with Sturridge, we can play Mata in a playmaker role behind Torres. I think his eye for passes and movement off the ball would have more impact there.

Two world class wingers like Hulk, Hazard, Bale etc would make all the diffrence.

Agreed....although two wingers full stop would make a positive difference. This may get laughed at but i would take Matty Jarvis from Wolves in an instant, fairly pacey, takes people on and can put in a decent cross. Reminds me of Duff when we bought him (prior to Jose ruining his game!)