Chelsea v Boro 1998 play offs

I was just reading an earlier post about this game, the second leg at Stamford Bridge. Just giving my account, we arrived in London and got to the Kings Road at about 1pm, the atmosphere was volatile, all the way to the ground there were skirmishes between Chelsea and Boro fans, we had bought tickets for the seats and on approaching the ground, unbelievably we were going through the same turnstiles as the Chelsea fans, even worse , when we entered the seats at the side of the ground, we realised there was no segregation, anyway the game kicked off and the atmosphere was electric, And when Durie scored in 18th minute, all hell broke loose in the seats, Chelsea fans taunting Boro fans and Boro fans giving it back, the police realised and before we knew it we all got marched out of the seats and joined the rest of the Boro behind the goal. When the final whistle blew obviously the Boro fans went daft but then we noticed the gates being opened at the Shed end, blatantly by Stewards, as a few hundred Chelsea decided to run across the pitch, but to be honest, I don,t know what could have happened, because the fences separated the rival fans, if a Chelsea fan got over what would have happened, anyway the trouble was quelled and the Boro team was brought back onto the pitch to celebrate with their fans. Getting away from the ground wasn't,t too bad, a few pockets hanging around but nothing major. I know a few lads who were in the large firm who marched across London that day who claim they were unchallenged but it was a strange one, it was the early days of the play offs and in later years Chelsea would not have been in that position. You guys who were there, do you consider this an accurate reflection of the day and do you agree with me that Ken Bates had his part to play in his disregard for safety by blatantly allowing tickets to be sold to Boro fans in a totally unsegregated section of seats.

I was just reading an earlier post about this game, the second leg at Stamford Bridge. Just giving my account, we arrived in London and got to the Kings Road at about 1pm, the atmosphere was volatile, all the way to the ground there were skirmishes between Chelsea and Boro fans, we had bought tickets for the seats and on approaching the ground, unbelievably we were going through the same turnstiles as the Chelsea fans, even worse , when we entered the seats at the side of the ground, we realised there was no segregation, anyway the game kicked off and the atmosphere was electric, And when Durie scored in 18th minute, all hell broke loose in the seats, Chelsea fans taunting Boro fans and Boro fans giving it back, the police realised and before we knew it we all got marched out of the seats and joined the rest of the Boro behind the goal. When the final whistle blew obviously the Boro fans went daft but then we noticed the gates being opened at the Shed end, blatantly by Stewards, as a few hundred Chelsea decided to run across the pitch, but to be honest, I don,t know what could have happened, because the fences separated the rival fans, if a Chelsea fan got over what would have happened, anyway the trouble was quelled and the Boro team was brought back onto the pitch to celebrate with their fans. Getting away from the ground wasn't,t too bad, a few pockets hanging around but nothing major. I know a few lads who were in the large firm who marched across London that day who claim they were unchallenged but it was a strange one, it was the early days of the play offs and in later years Chelsea would not have been in that position. You guys who were there, do you consider this an accurate reflection of the day and do you agree with me that Ken Bates had his part to play in his disregard for safety by blatantly allowing tickets to be sold to Boro fans in a totally unsegregated section of seats.

My memories of the day are pretty, alcohol induced, hazy but I do remember it being the first time Liquidator had been played before the game for a season or two, and that went down well, unlike us unfortunately. That day was the 3rd time I'd seen Chelsea relegated and bearing in mind where the club are now it's hard to believe the 70s, 72 onwards anyway, and 80s really happened.

I was in the Benches - which was just below the stand you were in. We noticed a bit of aggro in the West stand during the game, but word came in that there was a big scrap going on under & behind the stand. When the whistle blew & the boys went onto the pitch, the lads started to pull down the barrier in front of us, but the coppers waded in. The rest is well documented & filmed. A couple of things remain clear in my memory though. Firstly the lighthearted singing of "the boys in blue in division two" & then the atmosphere on the Fulham Broadway. Particularly one spotty kid who got arrested by about 10 brave coppers for inciting riot (don't make me laugh). Got into a spot of bother in Acton that evening when we encountered mouthy QPR fans - silly boys!

• 1 month later...

I was also in the west stand that night and it did go off big time. Think there were Boro councillors in there too as i recall and yes, there was a lot of agro in there and beind the stand. I met a bloke I worked with in there at half time, a Boro Fan, and he was keeping very quite

• 3 months later...

This THIS was my first Chelsea game (at SB, my first game was the 2-2 at Plough Lane earlier in the season).

I was 14 and travelled up from Aldershot on my tod. I had been told the tube station i wanted was Putney Bridge, It wasnt, and i followed some Chelsea fans on to a bus for the rest of the journey. I cant rember exactly where i got off but i think it was near Fulham Broadway, and to say i was in awe with the sights and atmosphere walking to gound would be an understatement. I had never seen so many tee shirt/scarf/badge stalls, burger vans, police, police on horses, police with dogs, Thousands of lads in chelsea shirts everywhere.

Anyway into the ground, The Shed, at about 1:30ish, I think it was £3 for a kid, and got a spot in the middle. The singing had already started even though alot of people were sitting down on the terreces reading programmes and fanzines. By about 2/2:30 it was proper rammed in there, you could not move, at all.

I loved, i mean i was a kid from Aldershot and with the exception of my trip to Plough Lane i had only been to Aldershot games and now i was surrounded by thousands of Chelsea fans singing and throwing wads of joke money and celery in the air. I could not believe how loud the singing was. I swear to this day when we were singing Bobby Cambells blue and white army it was so loud you could feel the floor vibrating.

By half time i was exhausted i had to get out there, i loved it, i knew i wanted this every Saturday for the rest of my life, but on that day i was done in and knew had to sit down. I worked my way round the back of the Shed towards the West Stand and found you could transfer to the benches for a quid, i had no money left and the steward must have seen i was done in and just let me through.

I dont remember much of the game, Gordon Durie scored and then i think it kicked off a little bit with the players when Boro wouldnt give the ball back?

I didnt see any trouble behind me in the West seats but that that might have been before i moved into the Benches. The final whistle went and all f**king hell broke loose. First thing i remember is the Boro fans runnining on the pitch (i think more in celebration) then the Shed gates opened ( i always thought kicked open but i could be wrong) and Chelsea fans swarming on to the pitch after them. It seemed in seconds police horses were on the pitch forcing the Chelsea fans back in the Shed. Then im sure fans were trying to get back on the pitch and the police hitting the gates with there sticks to keep the fans back.

Walking back towards Fulham Broadway after i got out the ground i also remember a mad rush of everbody all of a sudden starting to run. Thousands of fans went from calm walking to a sprint in just a few seconds. Im still not sure what this was about, i was bit more concerned with wether Fulham Broadway tube was the right way to get home lol.

My first trip to London (by myself), my first home game, saw a pitch invasion, got relagated :-(

I found out later the the crowd at SB that day was 40,000 which was very good for any club in the late 80's and would not be matched for attendance for a long time, 2002ish?

To this day one of my best and worst games.

Sorry for long post :indifferent0018: and oh yeah Hello :smile:

This THIS was my first Chelsea game (at SB, my first game was the 2-2 at Plough Lane earlier in the season).

I was 14 and travelled up from Aldershot on my tod. I had been told the tube station i wanted was Putney Bridge, It wasnt, and i followed some Chelsea fans on to a bus for the rest of the journey. I cant rember exactly where i got off but i think it was near Fulham Broadway, and to say i was in awe with the sights and atmosphere walking to gound would be an understatement. I had never seen so many tee shirt/scarf/badge stalls, burger vans, police, police on horses, police with dogs, Thousands of lads in chelsea shirts everywhere.

Anyway into the ground, The Shed, at about 1:30ish, I think it was £3 for a kid, and got a spot in the middle. The singing had already started even though alot of people were sitting down on the terreces reading programmes and fanzines. By about 2/2:30 it was proper rammed in there, you could not move, at all.

I loved, i mean i was a kid from Aldershot and with the exception of my trip to Plough Lane i had only been to Aldershot games and now i was surrounded by thousands of Chelsea fans singing and throwing wads of joke money and celery in the air. I could not believe how loud the singing was. I swear to this day when we were singing Bobby Cambells blue and white army it was so loud you could feel the floor vibrating.

By half time i was exhausted i had to get out there, i loved it, i knew i wanted this every Saturday for the rest of my life, but on that day i was done in and knew had to sit down. I worked my way round the back of the Shed towards the West Stand and found you could transfer to the benches for a quid, i had no money left and the steward must have seen i was done in and just let me through.

I dont remember much of the game, Gordon Durie scored and then i think it kicked off a little bit with the players when Boro wouldnt give the ball back?

I didnt see any trouble behind me in the West seats but that that might have been before i moved into the Benches. The final whistle went and all f**king hell broke loose. First thing i remember is the Boro fans runnining on the pitch (i think more in celebration) then the Shed gates opened ( i always thought kicked open but i could be wrong) and Chelsea fans swarming on to the pitch after them. It seemed in seconds police horses were on the pitch forcing the Chelsea fans back in the Shed. Then im sure fans were trying to get back on the pitch and the police hitting the gates with there sticks to keep the fans back.

Walking back towards Fulham Broadway after i got out the ground i also remember a mad rush of everbody all of a sudden starting to run. Thousands of fans went from calm walking to a sprint in just a few seconds. Im still not sure what this was about, i was bit more concerned with wether Fulham Broadway tube was the right way to get home lol.

My first trip to London (by myself), my first home game, saw a pitch invasion, got relagated :-(

I found out later the the crowd at SB that day was 40,000 which was very good for any club in the late 80's and would not be matched for attendance for a long time, 2002ish?

To this day one of my best and worst games.

Sorry for long post :indifferent0018: and oh yeah Hello :smile:

Great post mate. 

then the Shed gates opened ( i always thought kicked open but i could be wrong)

Im glad someone else said this because I was right by the gate (about 20 ft away) and saw two huge geysers bust it open-there was a common rumour in the press that stewards opened it but that was not the case.

then the Shed gates opened ( i always thought kicked open but i could be wrong)

there was a common rumour in the press that stewards opened it but that was not the case.

The Media in England have always tried to go with the rumour that Chelsea stewards and security are a majority of ex Chelsea Hooligans. Ok so fair is fair and im sure if you was to look closely at some of the Stewards in the MH Lower you might just maybe spot the occasional Chelsea tattoo, but to come up with a conspiracy lasting over 30+ years that they would have done something like that is just crazy.

Blimey that is a tough one to remember, like most of the posts been drinking since silly o'clock cant remember much about the game. Things that stood out for me, I was in the shed and there was some national front fellas behind me singing throughout the game and I hadn't seen that in years one of them went for a piss, put it this way the shed was packed but a big ring around him soon opened up. The section of the shed nearest the east stand had fans in it and that had been left empty during games for years also no barbed wire in that area and they were the first on the pitch at the final whistle. When it was kicking off outside with the old bill a group of fellas were watching saying come on Chelsea you can do better then this, that's f**k all etc, etc, not sure who there were?

Overall a mad day and yes I was one of the silly dicks who invaded the pitch, being about 19 years old seemed the correct thing to do at the time, made a right mess of my hands climbing over the fence then to have the gate opened near me about 10 seconds later.

Also I remember a black policeman getting a kicking down the front of the shed and his mates piling in to protect him and they knocked some Chelsea lad spark out! Wasn't the mayor of Middlesboro in the west stand seats and he and his crowd moved out in disgust or something like that? I didn't get involved in any fighting on the Fulham road but heard loads of boro fans were getting attacked as they tried to enter the away end, like I said a mad day but the sun was out!

I was in the Benches - which was just below the stand you were in. We noticed a bit of aggro in the West stand during the game, but word came in that there was a big scrap going on under & behind the stand. When the whistle blew & the boys went onto the pitch, the lads started to pull down the barrier in front of us, but the coppers waded in. The rest is well documented & filmed. A couple of things remain clear in my memory though. Firstly the lighthearted singing of "the boys in blue in division two" & then the atmosphere on the Fulham Broadway. Particularly one spotty kid who got arrested by about 10 brave coppers for inciting riot (don't make me laugh). Got into a spot of bother in Acton that evening when we encountered mouthy QPR fans - silly boys!

My mate always claims he started that song in the West, "boys in blue, division 2" he has a big mouth so maybe he did???

Archived