Phasing out Programmes?

bluehaze
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Just heard on the radio some clubs don't know about Chelsea are phasing them out and going virtual. I haven't bought one for about 40 years and I don't know anyone who still does. I've no idea how much they cost but I would never pay for something that is essentially really boring and bland. I've still got some in a plastic bag from when I used to buy them from 1978- 82 but I never flick through them wherever I've moved to I've brought them with me can't be more than 50 if I had a big collection I would have left them behind.

When we were young kids bought them to show off that they went to the game and some bought them as a souvenir which was fair enough but now you can look at your phone and relive the game you were just at. I had a mate RIP who didn't go that often he was the last person I remember buying a programme and that was 1992 I think when we beat Newcastle in the league cup and I've been to Chelsea with kids and groups of men and women. You probably still get the anoraks who cross out the team changes and write in the result and crowd.😆

When I first started going on my own steam in 78 used to get in the Whitewall ridiculously early, lean against a crash barrier, and casually plough through the programme from cover.

to cover. ( Soon as it started filling up, ducked under the crash barrier and leant backwards against it, thus preventing turning my ribcage into scredded wheat whenever there was a surge)

Come about 82 when I started drinking and spending pre match hours in the likes of the Adelaide or Palmeston,, the programme would go into the back sky rocket of me Fiorrucci or Lois jeans, to be read on the tube back to Wimbledon.

Gave up on purchasing them probably late 80's.

Slightly off piste, but palled up with some Croydon boys I met in Nice, prior to the Monaco Super Cup - Epic trip- one of the lads who went on to be an usher at my wedding, spent the night round his prior to going to Copenhagen in the Champions League- he fired me into his spare bedroom where there was every Chelsea programme from 1970 onwards, all bound up in plastic envelopes. Got zero hours kip that night, and not much for the next three days. PS Ended up in the sack with an full blown Eskimo out there. Long story...