Spoilt fans and reality check

Kenn

I know this is the silly season, but never would I have thought that any Chelsea fan with a genuine sense of history would let its silliness infect them. Some of the most irresponsible comments anyone can get against the club are now being spouted by supposed fans, who, deluded in the comfortable knowledge that they don?t have to foot the bill or sit through nail-biting negotiations with other clubs over players, now want everyone in the Chelsea hierarchy to be lined up and shot for signing Juliano Belletti whom they?ve uncharitably dubbed a ?Barcelona reject?. To them, having salivated expectantly all summer at the prospect of signing Daniel Alves, being presented with a 31-year old down-the-pecking-order-at-Barcelona alternative is akin to being force-fed faeces. They just can?t understand why our billionaire godfather didn?t give Jose Maria del Nido whatever he wanted to get our trophy signing. Now, Jos? Mourinho?s stock has plummeted in their estimation and our poor old Chelsea are a disgrace!

Obviously, the complaining Chelsea fans have forgotten how to count their blessings. Four years ago, we were on the brink of administration when Roman Abramovich strolled in and saved our blazing butt. When he came in July 2003, the transfer window was already a month gone and in a bid to put us in a position to compete with the big boys immediately thence, selling clubs took him to the cleaners. Indeed, it seemed the whole football establishment and the bow-wowing press entered a conspiracy to send him out of the game and straight to the poor house. At the time, I wondered why anyone with his stash would want to incur this giant trouble of owning a football club. If he was doing this for merely business reasons, there were less migraine-inducing ventures to take on, I reasoned. But Abramovich genuinely loves football and it was the love that made him persevere. Apart from the unprecedented spending on players, he brought in people who understand the business and invested huge amounts off-field as well. He brought in a manager that knows his onions and has gone about ever since trying to make Chelsea a truly global name. We?ve all sat there and reveled in it all; but now that the management is beginning to soberly remind us through their transfer dealings that first and foremost this is a business, we kick and scream, asking that poor Roman lie prostrate for the Sevilla Shylock?s greedy cut.

Another important point these contrarians seem to have forgotten is the fact that transfer dealings are off-field competitions for on-field success. When you look at the transfer seasons? spending patterns of clubs, naturally, they?re aimed at achieving success on the field. One huge part of that is to seek an edge over your competition through the way you buy and sell. Chelsea are particularly targeted by all, especially the big clubs because they consider the club as occupying a unique position in the market. While the Abramovich revolution has since seen more billionaires come into the market, none of them so far have showed the kind of love and enthusiasm he?s showed for the game and none of them are investing as much as he?s doing. It?s also quite clear that he has global ambitions for the club and isn?t prepared for Chelsea to play second fiddle to any club. So, when we come asking for a player anywhere, especially amongst the big clubs, the tendency is to deny us the player first and then do things to frustrate us getting alternatives elsewhere. Therefore, there?s always more than a whiff of football vulture politics involved whenever Chelsea are negotiating for any player. The twists and turns of the Alves negotiation have a lot to do with this negative politicking.

Of course, like most fans, I too was expecting us to sign Alves; but, having heard from the grapevine that for some days now Sevilla have been telling Chelsea behind the scenes that they?re no longer interested in selling, I had to begin a reassessment. Naturally, my first reaction to the information was to think it was another in a series of tricks being deployed by the notoriously foxy Jose Maria del Nido to force us to increase our bid. But when it was reported again that he?d rejected two fresh bids, I began to really take seriously the possibility that Sevilla may just be stringing us along, while in truth they?re really not ready to sell their star player.

Sevilla may have been seen as a selling club before, but they certainly have compelling reasons to review such a policy now. They?re no longer a small club in the shadows of their big neighbours, because they have indeed grown in global proportions within the last two years. They are today competing in the Champions League for the first time in their history on the back of two consecutive UEFA Cups and recognition by the International Federation of Football History and Statistics (IFFHS) as the number one football club in the world, based on statistics of wins and trophies since 2006. Sevilla have a right to change their mind about selling us their biggest playing asset in the light of their own ambitions too! And, if this is the case, as I believe it is, it is therefore no longer a question of how much Sevilla were/are asking for, but whether or not they are really willing to sell. Jose Maria del Nido?s maniacal game of constantly increasing their asking price (the latest being 40 million euros) gives enough indication that he?s really not willing to sell.

In such circumstances, I would have thought Chelsea?s decision to sign Belletti makes sense. Despite the stories making the rounds, he isn?t exactly a bad player. For four years (up till 2005), he was a member of the Brazilian national team and was part of the squad that won the 2002 World Cup in the Far East. Knowing how spoilt for choice the Brazilian national team really are, it?s no surprise that it took an exceptional performer like Cafu to keep him on the bench. Balletti joined Barcelona three years ago and immediately established himself as the first choice right back in a team that was widely acknowledged as the best in the world up to the time they won the Champions League in 2006. Belletti lost his first place in the team last year due primarily to injury and the arrival of Gianluca Zambrotta from Juventus. In other words, if not for the extraordinary events that led to the splitting up of the then Juventus team, Belletti would still have been Barcelona?s first choice right-back today. While in Barcelona, he won two La Liga titles (2005, 2006), two Super Cups (2005, 2006) and a Champions League title (2006). He?s a very attack-minded defender whose defensive game isn?t bad as well. He?s stable, reliable and extremely energetic. For a thirty-one year old, he?s looked after his body very well. So, it isn?t exactly that Chelsea have gone on to sign a geriatric as right-back; after all Zambrotta who replaced him as first choice at Barcelona and who?s highly rated is just a few months younger.

Chelsea fans have to learn to appreciate situations. We cannot always approach every issue with sentiments. For three seasons now, every opposition supporter has rubbed our nose in the notion that we bought the title or are trying to buy the title with the way we?ve spent in the transfer market. Even though this is all hypocritical tosh, there comes a time we need to be throwing these barbs back at them by showing that we can pass through a transfer window without outspending everybody and yet still win the big things. Okay, we?d have loved Alves to join the team, but we didn?t have to pay extortionate price or feel sorry for ourselves if Sevilla aren?t selling. Instead, we took the option of getting another very experienced right-back with a great pedigree at about one-tenth of the Alves price. Whether his acquisition is a mere stopgap or whether it?s a long-term measure, only time would tell. But at least we certainly look better now in the right-back department than we were last season. The team has a better balance and our balance sheet for the first time during a transfer window looks very healthy.

Now, all that is left is for every fan to get behind every player that puts on our colours and prove our own worth to the cause. We are on course to reclaim our title! We are on course to push further in Europe! And we are on course to prove to all doubting Thomases that the Kings of the King?s Road are the true Kings of the game!

It?s Portsmouth next at the Bridge and we need all the points! Get out there and do your bit!

C?mon Chelsea!

You really think that people on here forget that we have been down in the dirt for so long? 259.gif

The point is even when so much is going good, things happen that are bad, and we all have a right to express that. Even people like me who put money in buckets to keep the club going after the 'new stand' fiasco of yesteryear when we almost went to the wall more than once. PDT_minzdr.gif

Yes we are cash rich, yes we have been collecting pots...but yes ?5m for a guy seriously down the Barca squad who struggles to defend is a worry. He is the older Brazilian Glenn Johnson to some. And yes to some of us signing a player on the decline when he is 31 and giving him a 3 or 4 year contract IS a worry. 156.gif

Its like tough love, you love your kid, he is a credit to you but you still shout at him when he tries to run into the road! :lol:

I've heard anything from 3.5 million euros to ?10million. I think the official word is that he was signed for an undisclosed fee.

As for Belletti himself: Like I said, I think we could have done better, given our current circumstances/buying power, but I'm keeping an open mind.

Yes we are cash rich, yes we have been collecting pots...but yes ?5m for a guy...

Are you sure it's ?5m we paid for the guy? icon_confused.gif

Frankly I have no idea. As Lofty says there have been lots of figures. ?4m and ?5m seem popular.

Well, when the news broke in Spain, Cadena SER and AS reported 5 million euros (?3.39m). Later reports from Marca, http://www.goal.com and http://www.sports.es talked about 5.5 million euros (?3.73m). By the time the British press was reporting it, The Times and The Sun said it was ?3.75m; The Telegraph, ?3.7m and The Guardian and The Mail, ?4m. No report anywhere, as far as I know said anything about ?5m or above.

If we work with the reported prices, I think it?s a good deal, considering that Cicinho, another right-back I rate lower than Belletti was sold by Madrid for over 8 million euros to Roma.

CHEERS!

Guest Brian M

To be fair, at that price, if we only get one great season from him, we're laughing. But don't be surprised if we go in for Alves in January again if it all goes pear shaped.

Remember the Manure / Hargraves saga. They failed to land him several times. But they waited, and eventually they got their man. I suspect we might be the same.

Just not now.

It gets on my goat aswell when you hear people talk about buying big name players. In my experience the big names are not always the best option. I have to argue with people about the signing of Steve Sidwell, who they feel is not "big enough" to play for Chelsea. I think it is a very immature and niave view of football.

A guy in my local asked me who my favorite player of all time was. i told him that outside chelsea it was paul Gascoigne and at Chelsea it was Nigel Spackman. He obviously knew his football as he agreed and said his was Alan Hudson.

Belletti is a proffessional footballer, who has won the biggest trophy of all, the champions league. And to top it all he scored against the Arsenal. For that he is already pushing Nigel Spackman as my fav player of all time icon_lol.gif

The trouble is there are so many 'so-called' Chelsea fans who were not around for the 'dark days' !!

We needed cover at right-back, we've got it. Without being taken to the cleaners by Seville!

yeah but he's 31 and didn't cost ?20m.

Thanks for that Kenn - I agree with most of what you are saying there.

I am actually quite happy with the way the Alves situation has gone down. If nothing else, as a club we have now drawn a line in the sand that clearly shows that we will not be taken to the cleaners in the transfer market any longer.

I am glad to see that Sevilla will now reap the cost of greediness - having a very unhappy player who does not want to be there, and no chance of getting anywhere near the money that we had put on the table from anyone else.

This should hopefully send out a pretty clear message to the next Sevilla, Lyon or Manchester City who tries the same thing on with us with the next transfer target.

As far as Belletti goes - I think that in the circumstances, we may well have gotten ourselves a bargain. I think that Alves is the better player - but is he 7 times better than Belletti? I find that hard to believe. If we want a right-back who has the ability to push forward and support the attack, that is exactly what we have bought in Bellitti.

Obviously he is 31, but that is not over the hill - it just means he is a short-term purchase - and that is reflected in the low transfer fee.

A little bit of perspective is needed as well. Premiership titles are never one or lost on how good your right-back is. I think the squad we have at the moment is very good, and a lot more balanced (if slightly less quality) than it has been for the last couple of seasons.

The spine of the team (Cech-Terry-Lampard/Essien-Drogba) is still the absolute best in the world at the moment. These are the key positions in a team - and if these guys can keep relatively injury free, we will win the title and luck-permitting go a long way in the cups.

The trouble is there are so many 'so-called' Chelsea fans who were not around for the 'dark days' !!

We needed cover at right-back, we've got it. Without being taken to the cleaners by Seville!

Sorry mate but that is garbage.

So because we used to be cash poor we should get down on our knees with tears in our eyesd everytime we sign a player better than Doug Rougvie or Emerson Thome?

Seriously... 259.gif

It's not garbbage!

Perhaps you wanted the piss ripped out of us by the Spaniards but I didn't. I don't like anyone taking the piss out of my club or us being taken for mugs which we have done in our recent past.

Rather than be squeezed into a 1 club bidding war for Alves like we were with Essien and Drogba, I think we've made the right decision.

In Belletti we've got a solid right-back, who has also managed to score in a CL final for a decent price, albeit short term.

The people who reckon he is the worst signing in our history and wanted to linch PK for not paying ridiculous money for Alves are probably the ones who don't remember Rougvie and us being skint anyway.

27m for a right back? What a load of bollox, I don't care how highly rated he is!

Those who want us to pay though the nose are the one's who are dissapointed in the Belletti signing.

I'm neither delighted or dissapointed, I'll wait to see him play, just trying to put things into perspective.

It's not garbbage!

Perhaps you wanted the piss ripped out of us by the Spaniards but I didn't. I don't like anyone taking the piss out of my club or us being taken for mugs which we have done in our recent past.

Rather than be squeezed into a 1 club bidding war for Alves like we were with Essien and Drogba, I think we've made the right decision.

In Belletti we've got a solid right-back, who has also managed to score in a CL final for a decent price, albeit short term.

The people who reckon he is the worst signing in our history and wanted to linch PK for not paying ridiculous money for Alves are probably the ones who don't remember Rougvie and us being skint anyway.

27m for a right back? What a load of bollox, I don't care how highly rated he is!

Those who want us to pay though the nose are the one's who are dissapointed in the Belletti signing.

I'm neither delighted or dissapointed, I'll wait to see him play, just trying to put things into perspective.

Top man.

I'm still reeling about how much we've paid for the likes of Ferreira / Carvalho / SWP / Sheva / Drogba etc. We've behaved like a bunch of muppets business-wise and we're finally stopping....hoorah!

Now here's hoping RA doesn't do somthing stupid like spend ?70m on ronaldinho...

I'm kind of in the middle on this one. And yes I was there all through the '70s and most of the '80s. On the one hand, Belletti is 31, meaning his age is slightly against him, not so critical for a defender as for a striker perhaps, but I would have liked him to be a little younger. In other words, I'd rather have seen a longer term solution.

But on the other hand, ?27 million for a defender is well and truly taking the piss, and the mere fact of having the amount of money Roman's got shouldn't give clubs the impression that they've got a divine right to charge what they like as soon as they get as hint that we might be in for a player. Similarly with Ronaldinho, i wouldn't mind seeing him at the Bridge, but not for ?80 odd million and on a ?200k per week salary. Premiership footballer's wages are already obscenely high, and this is the last thing we want if there's to be even the slightest hope of a return to some kind of sanity.

It's not garbbage!

I agree that we were right to stand firm on not paying over the odds but fans have the right to say when a player is crap or they do not like the look of him REGARDLESS of how cash poor we have been.

I just don't think there should be dancing in the streets with flowers everytime we sign a player that may be better than Davie Mitchell. Not everyone that is dubious on the Belletti signing wants us to pay ?1billion per player just for the sake of it.

I am personally against the signing of Ronaldinho as he would unbalance the team, wage structure etc.

And for the record I was there in the 70's etc through the poor times, racist times and hoolie times. I also think that signing a 31 year old on a 3-year deal new to the Prem is bloody odd. And I think he is in decline.

However I of course would LOVE him to be the next Cafu and play great for us well into his dotage.

We have been paying stupid prices for players.

So much so that it has been embarrasing for the club,and our loyal support.

Some supporters these days do come over as spolit,I dont like it either!

The day after RA came I thought that some supporters were already asking for the earth!

I have explained my outlook on following my team lots of times.

Support the team.

Remember where we have been.

And keep an eye on the people running our club.

Our trust and respect must be earned!

Supporters not customers!

UP THE CHELS!

but fans have the right to say when a player is crap or they do not like the look of him REGARDLESS of how cash poor we have been.

Totally agree, it's just that some have decided he is crap without seeing him in a blue shirt yet!

Guest Brian M
but fans have the right to say when a player is crap

Totally agree!

Of course, by that logic, players should have the right to say when fans are crap, too!

JT: "Oh, that G4...man he been writing some crap lately! He's the Jody Morris of Chelsea fans I tell ya! Get a life or go support L**ds, ya mug! Ya call yourself a FAN?! You're a bl**dy girly hair dryer more like it! Put some effort into your prose or step the hell away from the keyboard!"

Ah, if only players had that sort of freedom of expression... icon_lol.gif

but fans have the right to say when a player is crap

Totally agree!

Of course, by that logic, players should have the right to say when fans are crap, too!

JT: "Oh, that G4...man he been writing some crap lately! He's the Jody Morris of Chelsea fans I tell ya! Get a life or go support L**ds, ya mug! Ya call yourself a FAN?! You're a bl**dy girly hair dryer more like it! Put some effort into your prose or step the hell away from the keyboard!"

Ah, if only players had that sort of freedom of expression... icon_lol.gif

I don't recollect JT ever contributing to G4's paycheck? Unless that was a brand new F1 Mclaren I saw G4 cruising round in yesterday icon_lol.gif

I am also in 2 minds about the Belletti signing, firstly i agree Seville were taking the pi*s and we were right not to be held to ransom. Just like holding out for top $ on Robben this summer has shown that we won't pay silly money, or let our players leave on the cheap anymore. Something i have wanted for a long time.

I personally dont know enough about Belletti as a player, yes he has a good pedigree but i will watch him play for Chelsea this season before judging him.

I wanted a right back and we have got one, but at 31 he is only a stop gap and i read that JM may now be willing to let Diarra leave. A young player who could have been an affective stop gap at right back( like last season) until Maka hangs up his boots and Lassana goes to midfield.

Perhaps the club has decided that age is irrelevent in football these days because contracts are'nt worth the paper they are written on so signing a youngster does'nt mean he's going to be around for 10yrs anyway.

I'd hate to see Diarra leave and i dont think JM would let him go, Belletti was'nt even on the list of options when we were discussing right backs, but he's here its done so lets support him and hopefully it will work out to be a shrewd piece of business by the club.

Archived