Life after Schalke.

Not so bad isn't it? At least, Avram and Ten Cates did not screw up.

Since the 2-0 defeat at Old Trafford, we have won 4 games and drew one in all competition, scoring 10 and conceding one !

We have crucial ties coming up in the premiership - Man City and Everton at home.

We should easily deposed Leicester City in the Carling Cup and a draw in germany with Schalke should see us through to the next round.

In fairness, though i have not forgotten dear Mourinho, i have moved on and watched every with the same intensity and hope.

So far, our performance looks very good with Drogs, Cole, Cech, Carvalho and Alex in good form.

I am very confidence that we can secure maximum points in the next two games ( hopefully, Arsenal, Manure and Liverpool starts losing)

Beyond that, our game at the Emirates Stadium on Dec 15 will be crucial. Let's build up a fantastic form and stuff the drugs into the gunners.

6 Games Dammit! 6!!!!! I know it's a small point but people (including commentators) keep getting it wrong and it's pissing me off icon_lol.gif

Wednesday, 24 October 2007

UEFA Champions League

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chelsea 2-0

(HT 1-0) Schalke 04

Malouda 4

Drogba 47

Bookings:

Jones 24

Rodriguez 57

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, 20 October 2007

Barclays Premier League

Middlesbrough 0-2

(HT 0-1) Chelsea

Drogba 8

Alex 57

Bookings:

Boateng 48

Bookings:

Malouda 72

Sunday, 07 October 2007

Barclays Premier League

Bolton 0-1

(HT 0-1) Chelsea

Kalou 41

Bookings:

Campo 18

Diouf 24

McCann 54

Davies 72

Jaaskelainen 90

Bookings:

Carvalho 69

Wednesday, 03 October 2007

UEFA Champions League

Valencia 1-2

(HT 1-1) Chelsea

Villa 9

Cole 21

Drogba 71

Bookings:

Marchena 79

Bookings:

Obi 89

Saturday, 29 September 2007

Barclays Premier League

Chelsea 0-0

(HT 0-0) Fulham

Bookings:

Drogba 35

Bookings:

Davis 82

Sent off:

Drogba 74

Wednesday, 26 September 2007

Carling Cup

Hull 0-4

(HT 0-1) Chelsea

Sinclair 37

Kalou 48

Sidwell 52

Kalou 81

Bookings:

Brown 75

Sunday, 23 September 2007

Barclays Premier League

Man Utd 2-0

(HT 1-0) Chelsea

Tevez 45

Saha (pen) 90

Bookings:

Rooney 61

Brown 80

Bookings:

Cole 73

Terry 83

Sent off:

Obi 32

It will take alot more to convince me. Our game last night wasn't great. We were really, really lucky not to concede any goals. They created more than we did and if the world of football had be fair then it should atleast have been a draw. Still, I'm not complaining. A win is always welcome.

But I don't think we were great. We should be able to do better. At times we tried to play some fast passing and that was just pathetic to watch. Pass, pass, pass, pass, pass. All in the midfield and perhaps even down to the defenders. Sure it's nice to get 15-20 passes in a row but what use is it when we don't get anywhere and the opponents hardly try to take the ball?

We've had good results for some time now but our game is still below our best.

. They created more than we did and if the world of football had be fair then it should atleast have been a draw. Still, I'm not complaining. A win is always welcome.

I don't buy that one bit. yes they created chances that they missed but we also created chances that we missed, and we created chances that we scored. Overall we created more chances than they did, we had comfotably more of the ball than they did and after going 2-0 up our foot came right off the gas.

We were the better side last night without being anywhere near our best - no way would a draw have been a 'fair result'

Why is it that a lot of people are just waiting for them to fail? surely it is enough that they are in charge of team affairs, that we get behind them, not wishing and hoping they screw up.

Unbelievable.

Why is it that a lot of people are just waiting for them to fail? surely it is enough that they are in charge of team affairs, that we get behind them, not wishing and hoping they screw up.

Unbelievable.

I cant see what people expect in the short time they have been here, I think they have done pretty well,

its ok to say they are playing like Jose got them playing when they win but when we lose what then?

I think the passing was better in patches last night and when you are ahead passing around and frustrating the opposition is all part of the game, waiting for an opening is what I see it as, perhaps all running forward gung ho and conceding would be better?

I'm well happy with what I've seen so far under the circumstances.

It will take alot more to convince me. Our game last night wasn't great. We were really, really lucky not to concede any goals. They created more than we did and if the world of football had be fair then it should atleast have been a draw. Still, I'm not complaining. A win is always welcome.

But I don't think we were great. We should be able to do better. At times we tried to play some fast passing and that was just pathetic to watch. Pass, pass, pass, pass, pass. All in the midfield and perhaps even down to the defenders. Sure it's nice to get 15-20 passes in a row but what use is it when we don't get anywhere and the opponents hardly try to take the ball?

Quite agree, the crowd were going "ole!" at some point but all the passing was going absolutely nowhere and considering we had hardly demolished Schalke and in fact had let them back into the game twice after scoring I was baffled as to why.

We were not great by any means and if Schalke had more first team players available they could have caused us much more difficulty, Grant was lucky again to meet a team pretty toothless and depleted.

We have beaten a toothless Bolton and equally poor Boro and Hull out of some of these list of impressive wins. I would suggest any reasonably competent manager could have achieved that and thankfully Grant does seem competent. But it's hardly heady stuff at the moment.

Yes a win is a win and I welcome it however it comes but great? No.

Quite agree, the crowd were going "ole!" at some point but all the passing was going absolutely nowhere and considering we had hardly demolished Schalke and in fact had let them back into the game twice after scoring I was baffled as to why.

We were not great by any means and if Schalke had more first team players available they could have caused us much more difficulty, Grant was lucky again to meet a team pretty toothless and depleted.

We have beaten a toothless Bolton and equally poor Boro and Hull out of some of these list of impressive wins. I would suggest any reasonably competent manager could have achieved that and thankfully Grant does seem competent. But it's hardly heady stuff at the moment.

The crowd were going Ole because it pisses the oppo team off. Schalke had 11 men behind the ball and after about the 20th "Ole" you can see one thought right time to stop this and put the boot in. Nothing wrong with having a bit of fun.

You also leave out Valencia away who have one of the best home record's in Champs League football. I agree with not getting carried away, but there is nothing wrong with trying to be positive and hoping for the best rather than being negative and hoping you are wrong.

. They created more than we did and if the world of football had be fair then it should atleast have been a draw. Still, I'm not complaining. A win is always welcome.

I don't buy that one bit. yes they created chances that they missed but we also created chances that we missed, and we created chances that we scored. Overall we created more chances than they did, we had comfotably more of the ball than they did and after going 2-0 up our foot came right off the gas.

We were the better side last night without being anywhere near our best - no way would a draw have been a 'fair result'

I disagree, Loz. Sorry.

In my oppinion they created more chances. We were simply more effective.

As for having more of the ball, that might be true. However in my oppinion Schalke didn't try too hard to get it from us at times.

2-0 doesn't reflect the game. Atleast not according to me. One might however call it "fair" since we did what all teams have to do - score on the chances they get.

The crowd were going Ole because it pisses the oppo team off. Schalke had 11 men behind the ball and after about the 20th "Ole" you can see one thought right time to stop this and put the boot in. Nothing wrong with having a bit of fun.

You also leave out Valencia away who have one of the best home record's in Champs League football. I agree with not getting carried away, but there is nothing wrong with trying to be positive and hoping for the best rather than being negative and hoping you are wrong.

I agree about Valencia. Beating them at Mestalla isn't something any team can do. They are strong there. However, let's not fool ourselves. Our first 30 minutes or so there was awful. I had half a mind turning the tv off. But after we scored our first goal (our first chance too) we turned the game around and in the 2nd half we were damn good.

But then again, every team can have a great half, even small teams. We need to have more of those before we can start celebrating icon_wink.gif

Callista, I think that your judgement is a bit harsh. Whilst the opposition might have been weakened we were hardly full team in most matches. I'm quite pleased with th progress over the last few weeks though I agree with all that we are far from our best. One thing is worrying me. I've staunchly supported Jose and I am eternally grateful for the success of the past three years which were to a sigificant degree down to him. However, I don't think that the team is playing any worse than it was in the last weeks of his reign - in fact, I believe we're playing better. There, I've said it - I desreve a thousand curses from the special one.

Callista, I think that your judgement is a bit harsh. Whilst the opposition might have been weakened we were hardly full team in most matches. I'm quite pleased with th progress over the last few weeks though I agree with all that we are far from our best. One thing is worrying me. I've staunchly supported Jose and I am eternally grateful for the success of the past three years which were to a sigificant degree down to him. However, I don't think that the team is playing any worse than it was in the last weeks of his reign - in fact, I believe we're playing better. There, I've said it - I desreve a thousand curses from the special one.

good analysis,

people will go on putting our recent decent run down to weak opposition until we lose and then it will be "see what happens when we play a decent team",

the fact is we were in worse form before Grant took over, there is no huge difference true but we have started to play a bit better.

dont lets forget we drew with Rosenbourg at home, we lost to Villa, and we got as lucky a point as we ever will at Liverpool before our recent run.

its great to be loyal to Jose, he was brilliant but he is not Chelsea's manager anymore, Grant is Chelsea's manager and he is under difficult circumstances, be it player unrest, fans unrest or just the usual getting the team to play the way he wants (maybe not changing that much from the usual way as he knows that was usually pretty reliable).

He has never said Jose's way was wrong, all he wants to do is put a different slant on it and make it more entertaining, this will take more than six games but so far he is doing well.

We are playing better because we have Lampard, Drogba and Riccy back and our form always picks up in October. For me there is nothing more complicated than that. We were winning games but not playing that well from the start of the season as soon as we lost Lampard and Drogba the goals dry up our form gets found out and we look rocky in defence with Riccy gone and JT getting injured on and off.

We get our main goal scorer back and link up man in midfield and October comes and what do you know suddenly things are motoring again.

I'm not trying to be negative towards Grant, good luck to him but I don't feel our superior form is now due to the fact we have changed coaches and he has somehow done something special.

I think the results would have been the same as if Jose had stayed although we would not have beaten Man City 6-0 we would probably have shut up shop way before then.

We are playing better because we have Lampard, Drogba and Riccy back and our form always picks up in October. For me there is nothing more complicated than that. We were winning games but not playing that well from the start of the season as soon as we lost Lampard and Drogba the goals dry up our form gets found out and we look rocky in defence with Riccy gone and JT getting injured on and off.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

"our form always picks up in october"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

nothing more complicated than that

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

"I'm not trying to be negative towards Grant, good luck to him but I don't feel our superior form is now due to the fact we have changed coaches and he has somehow done something special"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

yes, grant has done nothing.

to be completely honest callista, I'm embarassed on your behalf.

good analysis,

people will go on putting our recent decent run down to weak opposition until we lose and then it will be "see what happens when we play a decent team",

the fact is we were in worse form before Grant took over, there is no huge difference true but we have started to play a bit better.

dont lets forget we drew with Rosenbourg at home, we lost to Villa, and we got as lucky a point as we ever will at Liverpool before our recent run.

its great to be loyal to Jose, he was brilliant but he is not Chelsea's manager anymore, Grant is Chelsea's manager and he is under difficult circumstances, be it player unrest, fans unrest or just the usual getting the team to play the way he wants (maybe not changing that much from the usual way as he knows that was usually pretty reliable).

He has never said Jose's way was wrong, all he wants to do is put a different slant on it and make it more entertaining, this will take more than six games but so far he is doing well.

Actually he does have digs that the previous style of playing was not right and there is a better way to play, he does it in a sly fashion but it is mentioned after every game as good as. If he says this is my way and we want to do things differently then I don't have any problem with that whatsoever - good luck to the guy.

But I resent having to accept that what we achieved in the past wasn't the correct way to play football as if only one system is right and the other is wrong and we have now found the true path to enlightenment kind of thing.

Do people prefer 6-0 slammings to a 1-0 win? Probably they do generally but that doesn't mean you can't appreciate what those many 1-0 victories end up giving this club in terms of success.

Jose can hold up his trophies and say my way was just as right as yours, as can Rafa, Fergie can do the same, there are lots of different systems that have made manager's very successful over the years, Roman has chosen a different way which is fine as its his club but I don't want Grant having digs that the previous manager's style was not the right kind of football and should not be played by this team. That belittles the previous manager and makes the club look likes its got an identity problem or is ashamed of what it produced.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

"our form always picks up in october"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

nothing more complicated than that

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

"I'm not trying to be negative towards Grant, good luck to him but I don't feel our superior form is now due to the fact we have changed coaches and he has somehow done something special"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

yes, grant has done nothing.

to be completely honest callista, I'm embarassed on your behalf.

Fine okay, Grant could have done just as well without Drogba, Lampard and Riccy back in the squad, their contributions and goals really make no difference to our team at all and Jose did not suffer with having them out, he could rely on Sheva.

And its a well known fact that our form never picks up in October.

You want to see something more in the victories Grant has achieved then go ahead and laugh away.

I did not suggest Grant has done nothing but he has hardly been the miracle worker some seem to suggest, he has taken over a very strong team, got players back from injury and our form has picked up.

And he now wants that team to play football in a more attacking way end of story.

He was very lucky to get Drogba and Lampard back, perhaps you can explain your reasoning as to how things are better not because of Drogba and Lampard coming back or are form naturally picking up as the season starts to progress but for some other reason?

So presumably we can sell Drogba and Lampard right now can we because it wont affect our team's ability to score goals or function properly as an attacking threat?

Who has been scoring our goals or assisting on them recently more often than not I wonder?

I have increasingly little faith in your grasp on football- if I explained it to to you step by step it would be a waste of your time and mine.

nothing against you personally, it's more to do with my increasingly manic exasperation.

I have increasingly little faith in your grasp on football- if I explained it to to you step by step it would be a waste of your time and mine.

nothing against you personally, it's more to do with my increasingly manic exasperation.

Right so instead of addressing my points that the reason we have generally improved is because Grant now has access to a fully fit Lampard and Drogba when Jose did not you decide that you can't be arsed to comment as it would be beyond my level of intelligence.

Sounds like a cop out to me.

If you know the "real" reasons behind the recent run of victories then please enlighten me.

I happen to think having those two players back plus Riccy has made the world of difference.

It's not THE reason but having them back in the squad sure looks like it makes an improvement to me.

Having key players back is obviously going to make a difference and is a partial reason however if you still don't see any incremental changes to the way we are playing Callista then you either aren't looking hard enough or your Jose blinkers are on a little too tightly!

I repeat what I said before that it will take a lot longer than a few weeks for a new approach to be implemented and I am not going to point to the City game to claim that there has been some sort of overnight revolution as yesterday was, for me, just an outstanding performance out of the blue. However what has been happening in games, and was one of the root causes, behind yesterday's performance is that players are looking to move the ball on faster. Less time is being spent on the ball, assessing options, or utting inside and turning backwards. The ball is being played from the back through Essien, Lampard and out to the flanks in far quicker fashion and is being done so more often via a series of short quick passes rather than missing out the midfield and aiming for Drogba's head.

In yesterday's game we were outnumbered in midfield but you would never have believed it and that was mainly due to the quick passing and movement of Lampard, Kalou, Essien and Joe always creating space and options for the man on the ball.

That kind of movment is not something we saw often under Jose even when we were at our best. That is not meant as a crtiticism of the Jose style of play, the Jose style of play was very successful in its own way and thus it is not a case of saying that this 'new way' is head and shoulders better than Jose's way - it is just saying that it is different and that those differences are gradually becoming evident. If you really can't see any difference at all I am flabberghasted

the fact you are looking for singular, definite reasons for the upturn in form is telling, as is the fact you seemingly cannot see any changes beyond "I think the results would have been the same as if Jose had stayed although we would not have beaten Man City 6-0 we would probably have shut up shop way before then".

it's laughable stuff- if that's your only observation then I don't see why I should have to hold your hand through a step by step guide into/ through your ignorance.

the fact you are looking for singular, definite reasons for the upturn in form is telling, as is the fact you seemingly cannot see any changes beyond "I think the results would have been the same as if Jose had stayed although we would not have beaten Man City 6-0 we would probably have shut up shop way before then".

it's laughable stuff- if that's your only observation then I don't see why I should have to hold your hand through a step by step guide into/ through your ignorance.

I understand your analysis of the City game and how the team are trying to play differently.

But how are these gradual changes the main reason behind our upturn of form after Grant's appointment, especially up to that game?

You seem to be suggesting that these incremental changes are the reason we actually beat Hull, Boro, Bolton, Valencia and these changes were far more significant than simply getting some key players back. How many changes was Grant during those games that definitively changed our play and caused our upturn of form? I would also suggest the fact that Boro and Bolton are in the relegation zone also helped a bit, they are a shadow of the sides we faced in previous seasons.

The press couldn't see much difference in our play, the commentators during matches desparately searched for something and they saw little evidence, a lot of fans I listened to couldn't see any telling signs either.

Yes I have looked for singular, definite reasons for our upturn in form prior to the City game, and those reasons seem generally to point towards the return of certain key players and a gradual upturn in form which normally does occur about this time. Grant has been slowly trying to change the team to a different style of play (which you highlight in detail above) but if people are going to suggest to me that these changes are the key in the previous games to our upturn in form then I'm sorry I disagree.

I realise that you are not criticising Jose's way of playing, that it was different, yes it was, we would not have played the way we did against City in style or approach, Grant's way is obviously more attack minded it could hardly be otherwise given Roman's requirements.

I'm sure our style of play will develop even further as time goes on and Grant and Cate start to have even greater influence.

Any way thanks for responding.

I am guessing you are responding to me there and not G4 who you have quoted.

I haven't actually said that these incremental changes have necessarily been the reason we have won these games, it could well be that we would have won them under Jose as well. The point I am making is that irrespective of results I personally see some changes in the way we are playing whereas you don't (which is fair enough) and I do think that these changes are down to us being under a different management team and I do think these changes are welcome. When I say welcome I mean to the eye AND in terms of success. My feeling is that we needed a change in playing style because our previous style was becoming very familiar to our main rivals and they were getting better at negating us.

oh and p.s.

I am also entirely conscious of the fact that a more expansive style of play may well cost us points as well as it is a higher risk strategy in that when players are not in form it can go horribly wrong whereas Jose's system was a percentages game in which drops in form could be accommodated easier.

I did not suggest Grant has done nothing but he has hardly been the miracle worker some seem to suggest, he has taken over a very strong team, got players back from injury and our form has picked up.

Who suggested Grant was a miracle worker?

I berated him for his tactics against Fulham. But that particular match aside (and I stick by my critisisms of our shape, tactics, structure, etc that game), I have to admit, he hasn't done such a bad job in his role as manager at Chelsea thus far. Bar Fulham, we've won every game we've expected to and even managed a few suprises (victory at Valencia, the thrashing of City). Bar Fulham, I can't think of a match were we have failed to meet expectations (the Man Utd game was a write off because of Mikel's sending off).

I have to say you guys are a teensy weensy bit barsh on Callista here. I mean certainly your tone is a wee bit over the top, Gullit. Maybe I'm missing something here but she does make a fair point when she says that having key players back of course makes a difference.

Having said that, yes, there are telling differences to not only the way we play, but seemingly also to our mindset, and Grant must be given some credit for that. Though he hasn't won me over, we are playing a whole lot better than what I expected at this early stage in his reign. I think I have underestimated both him and the players.

Cheers,

Butch

Well I did say recently that I still beleived Chelsea's squad was one of the best in Europe and that in Cech, Terry, Lampard and Drogba (and thats not mentioning Makelele) we have arguably the best spine of any team in world football.

But alas, I have a been suprised to see that Avram Grant has done so well, especially after the Fulham game in which I basically wrote him off afterwards.