Cap on Transfer fees + pay

ECA meets about issue

In the days after the 110m pound bid for Kaka the European Club Association are discussing letting clubs only spend 51% of their revenue on transfer fees and salaries.

Revenue is described as ticket sales, sponsorships, merchandise, and tv money.

I dont know what our revenue is, but bollox i say, they have a salary cap in America and MLS sucks because of it.

ECA meets about issue

In the days after the 110m pound bid for Kaka the European Club Association are discussing letting clubs only spend 51% of their revenue on transfer fees and salaries.

I dont know what our revenue is, but bollox i say, they have a salary cap in America and MLS sucks because of it.

i can give you a great perspective on this as a rugby league fan. 10-11 years ago the top league was won by either of two teams and the rest got knowhere near, ever. thee top 2 sides were full of superstars and the rest got what they could. since the cap came in the league has got tighter and tighter, there are now at least 4 teams that can win it with another 4 in with a good shout. all the teams have much better squads, even the so called lesser teams squads are way beyond anything they could have got near to 10 years ago. it also means clubs are run much better and the sport at the top level is a magnificent spectacle with barely ever a dull match and always the cahnce of the lesser club winning. its been a fantastic success and hopefully will continue to be. the big problem in football will be convincing all the nations to take part, because all it will take is one to turn their backs on it and flood their league with the best players.

i can give you a great perspective on this as a rugby league fan. 10-11 years ago the top league was won by either of two teams and the rest got knowhere near, ever. thee top 2 sides were full of superstars and the rest got what they could. since the cap came in the league has got tighter and tighter, there are now at least 4 teams that can win it with another 4 in with a good shout. all the teams have much better squads, even the so called lesser teams squads are way beyond anything they could have got near to 10 years ago. it also means clubs are run much better and the sport at the top level is a magnificent spectacle with barely ever a dull match and always the cahnce of the lesser club winning. its been a fantastic success and hopefully will continue to be. the big problem in football will be convincing all the nations to take part, because all it will take is one to turn their backs on it and flood their league with the best players.

Agree some countries will embrace it but it won't take long for a host of off shore bank accounts opened up in various front companies to deliver the goods for star players away from the balance sheet of the club...............which is why I don't think it would ever work in football

ECA meets about issue

Sounds to me like the big established clubs are worried about other clubs reaching or exceeding them financially. The G14 was created to make the rich, richer, especially with their seeding system for the Champions League that always looked after it's members.

Like TBB said, it'll never happen in football, there'll always be a work around, weither from offshore or via sponserships deal or shirt-sale related deals.

New found wealth, like Chelsea'a a few years ago, will always upset the apple cart and get the big-boys worried about having their party gate-crashed by a newcomer.

Am I the only one who kind of likes the idea? I think it needs to have certain things worked out, but if there was a way to keep clubs in check, financially, we would see alot more stars staying at less glamorous clubs, and maybe one big money move per year to the big boys.

I understand the irony of me saying this considering we owe two league titles and several other cups to a large infusion of cash and a generous owner, but if something like this had been in place when Roman came in, we might be aspiring to the same heights we are right now, about 5 years after his arrival. Instead of big transfers like Veron, Crespo, Mutu, and Maka when he came in, maybe we wouldve had the space to sign one, and augment the squad slowly in successive transfer windows. And im sure it would keep large squads like Man Utd and Madrid from being able to waste money on signings that they dont really need, just because they can afford them.

I am a little disturbed by the spectre of linking a club's ability to sign players to their revenue, though. That should be part of the equation, but if it was all about how much money you could rake in, im sure ticket prices would shoot up, new shirts would be trolled out for 70-80 pounds every summer, and we would never see clubs like Barca or Villa donate shirt space to charities. In short, im worried teams would whore the sport out even more than before so that they could squeeze every last dime out of the fans and sponsors

I am 100% for a Trasfer fee and wage cap, football is getting too crazy these days, 107 million bid for Kaka is crazy now but in 5-10 years i could easily see more and more clubs doing so. I thought 46 for zidane would be the most ever spent but i can see now that will easily be surpassed.

This cap will put the focus back on to the football, winning games through passion and tactics not because one club has a rich arab owner who can buy anyone in the world.

HOWEVER this needs to be accross all countries, because if just the prem did it then all the big name players would leave and go to spain or italy for big money deals.

It's time Blatter pulled his finger out and did some good for the game, get the wheels in motion and put a cap in place.

They do it in the NFL too and it means a couple of big names in each team, and then a rotation of Superbowl winners. So it does keep it a bit more level

However, if Europe were to do this, then places like Dubai could just build teams up and offer a ton of cash to get the best players over there for more money

They do it in the NFL too and it means a couple of big names in each team, and then a rotation of Superbowl winners. So it does keep it a bit more level

However, if Europe were to do this, then places like Dubai could just build teams up and offer a ton of cash to get the best players over there for more money

The NFL system is good BUT wouldn't work in football because it would require a complete change in football youth teams and academy's, plus the game doesn't need that much of a change.

I disagree with your point about Dubai. Europe will still be the heart of club football, no one would start going to tthe Middle east for the wages, not until they are mid 30's anyway.

If they did they would be extremely stupid.

The NFL system is good BUT wouldn't work in football because it would require a complete change in football youth teams and academy's, plus the game doesn't need that much of a change.

I disagree with your point about Dubai. Europe will still be the heart of club football, no one would start going to tthe Middle east for the wages, not until they are mid 30's anyway.

If they did they would be extremely stupid.

hmmmmm It is footballers you are talking about here hardly top of the food pile when brains were dished out . Look at Robinhio still in Europe just but if it wasn't about the money he would be with us ...........

so if they did start paying seroius money there would be no shortage of takers from Europe