1970 SF v Watford

geezer

Now watching the semi against Watford played at White Hart Lane in 1970. The pitch resembles the one we played on when we beat Charlton at the Bridge. You know the one, all sand and no grass. What with the QF and final played on mudbaths as well it's incredible the guys wereever able to produce the quality football that they did.

Now watching the semi against Watford played at White Hart Lane in 1970. The pitch resembles the one we played on when we beat Charlton at the Bridge. You know the one, all sand and no grass. What with the QF and final played on mudbaths as well it's incredible the guys wereever able to produce the quality football that they did.

I watched it last night too. Amazing how Hudson and Cooke controlled the ball so well on it, just goes to show what great players they were. Even Houseman has great moments and a couple of poor ones, sort of like an olden version of Malouda!

Houseman had a great game!

That pitch was a disgrace - just imagine today's players trying to play on that - the ball bobbled all over the place literally every time someone tried to pass it.

Some of those Watford players looked like the kind of player you'd see playing for a Sunday league pub team!

Still love the kit from that era and the shots of the crowd were great too ...............Happy Days.

Houseman had a great game!

That pitch was a disgrace - just imagine today's players trying to play on that - the ball bobbled all over the place literally every time someone tried to pass it.

Imagine it the other way round, those players playing on todays pitches - they'd be awesome

Once again, I was priveleged to be at this game. I think it was my first (but certinaly not last) visit to White Hart Lane. I was just 12 at the time but I can still remember the bloody long walk from Manor Park Station (my mate said it was the nearest to the ground, the utter cretin - never trusted him again!)

Watford had beaten Liverpool to get to the semi-final, and gave us a game in the first half. Second half though, we stepped it up a gear or two and hammered them. Great atmosphere, Chelsea fans took over three and half sides of the ground.

I was at the front of the Park Lane end of the ground, stood in front of the main Chelsea mob - nearly got crushed when Webbie scored our first goal, but it was worth it! It was quite an experience to see a Chelsea goal so close up too, as we were so used to watching from miles away at the Bridge.

One of the reasons that the pitch was so bad was that the FA Cup was brought forward that season because of the 1970 Mexico World Cup, and so the game was played on 14 March - the weather was still bad as the winter was coming to a close.

The same could be said for the Wembley final, though of course that wasn't helped by having the Horse Of The Year Show on the pitch just a week or two before the match!

For those who wonder what the hell we're talking about, here are the goals from the semi-final against Watford: -

Imagine it the other way round, those players playing on todays pitches - they'd be awesome

I've often thought about that, just picturing the likes of Peter Osgood, Charlie Cooke, George Best & Stan Bowles playing on today's pitches with today's rules (no tackling). They'd be absolutely priceless!

Me and mate were behind Watford goal for the second half - I think it was 1-1 at half time. The Watford keeper (can't remember name) gave us the V sign and had a smirk on his face as he came out for second half. Some priceless comments to him as the goals kept going in - he could not look us in the face and was desperate to get off at the end.

• 1 year later...

Archived