Steve Rowley

Hutch

Arsenal's chief scout, responsible for signings such as Fabregas, van Persie and Thomas Vermaelen. From the Mail, which also throws up Marco van Basten as a possible replacement for Ancelotti:

Chelsea's Abramovich targets Arsenal's new chief scout after bagging Torres and Luiz

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is continuing his regeneration of the club following the £75million signing of Fernando Torres and David Luiz by trying to poach Arsenal’s chief scout Steve Rowley.

And Dutch legend Marco van Basten is also being considered as a potential replacement if manager Carlo Ancelotti is sacked at the end of the season.

But it is Chelsea’s pursuit of Rowley, responsible for a string of signings, including Cesc Fabregas, Robin van Persie and Thomas Vermaelen, which will alarm their London rivals.

Rowley’s record is unparalleled in England, with a string of young players joining Arsene Wenger’s side after being recommended by his scouting network.

Players such as Alex Song Wojciech Szczesny, Bacary Sagna and Gael Clichy were all unearthed as youngsters and signed for small amounts.

Chelsea now want Rowley to do the same job for them after director of football Frank Arnesen leaves in the summer. Stamford Bridge is undergoing something of a revolution since Abramovich took a direct interest again with the big Torres and Luiz deals.

Van Basten is a leading candidate to take over if Chelsea’s indifferent form continues. They travel to neighbours Fulham tomorrow, needing a victory to maintain their position as Champions League qualifiers.

Van Basten, one of the greatest strikers ever then Holland’s coach at the 2006 World Cup and Euro 2008, put himself in the frame by declaring his readiness to return after a two-year break since quitting Ajax.

He said: ‘I am thinking about a nice big club abroad. It’s logical for me.

‘I have been manager of the national team and Ajax and once you’ve done those jobs it’s awkward to manage another club in Holland.’

LINK

Interesting piece that, certainly seems to fit into the current thinking that Roman is rebuilding from top to bottom. After the last few weeks of comings and goings I`m starting to wonder whether Butch leaving was the beginning of a total change in personnel at the club.

These rumors have usually materialized to actual deals so I expect us to lure a big name to take over Arnesen's job. Good thing about Roman is he hires great professionals in the club not just great players and managers.

I hope we continue with Carlo no matter what happens rest of the season. Of course Carlo needs to win something. FA-cup, CL or 2nd-3rd spot in the league. All in our grasp but very hard to achieve any of these.

Could we lure Paolo Maldini to help Carlo in his job..?

Paulo maldini will be a fantastic , simply great assistant coach if he joins Carlo... Imagine our defenders learning from him .. that will be a life cherishing time for them ... He is a great human being and a legend which itelf will make our players stand up and respect him.

• 4 months later...

According to the Telegraph, we're back in for him:

Chelsea face busy summer in the transfer market as they go scouting for scouts, as well as players

Nothing factual in the article though, and the same old "Rowley, however is reluctant to leave Arsenal" However, the Mail mentions that "Rowley has been approached" in the following article:

Hiddink about to bring Chelsea return closer as Blues look to tempt Arsenal scout

Edited by Hutch

The thinking seems to be that with Hiddink appointed there won't be a Director of Football and instead Rowley will be chief scout. It'd be a tough switch to engineer I'd think but I suggest he'll be compensated on a far greater level than he would be at Arsenal.