Irish Movies

Maksimov
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I know we've got some Irish people here and some movie fans as well, so I figured I might as well ask your opinion. There's a film festival here in a few weeks time and amongst the categories there's one that consists of Irish movies. I haven't seen too many Irish movies and I must admit that I know very little about current Irish movie makers, but I'm curious to see at least one of the movies in the category. I've already earmarked the screening of a selection of short movies and as a big fan of documentaries I've been thinking of going to see either The Pipe or Knuckle. If you've seen some of these, please recommend me or warn me. There's so much on offer again this year, so I'm trying to look for the best possible line up.

Here are the movies they will be showing:

PARKED

THE PIPE

THE OTHER SIDE OF SLEEP

SENSATION

KNUCKLE

THE GUARD

Feel free to discuss the movies.

The only one I've heard of is The Guard, which stars Brendan Gleeson. It's directed by the guy who directed "In Bruges"'s brother and it's supposedly hilarious. I haven't seen it yet but it has been compared favourably to In Bruges which I thought was quite hilarious. I believe it's in a similar mould of dark comedy.

To be honest I wouldn't think much of Irish cinema, we seem to release one good film every three years about so I'd definitely go to see The Guard out of those, my aunts and some of my friends have been raving about it.

Although I would note that my preference is for the mainstream anyway.

Edited by Pride of London

Having watched the trailers of all of them, the two that would interest me are The Pipe and The Other Side Of Sleep.

I found it a wee bit annoying that the blurb on The Other Side Of Sleep started out by saying "With Irish accents so thick that you need subtitles..."

Oh really? Have you listened to an American film recently, laddie? I find more and more that subtitles would be a welcome addition to them!

I found it a wee bit annoying that the blurb on The Other Side Of Sleep started out by saying "With Irish accents so thick that you need subtitles..."

I gringed when I read the English descriptions, especially that one, but you must understand that people are used to the so called "Hollywood English", so they might struggle with some of the more "unusual accents.

I gringed when I read the English descriptions, especially that one, but you must understand that people are used to the so called "Hollywood English", so they might struggle with some of the more "unusual accents.

You gringed? Interesting combination of cringed and groaned! I'll adopt that one.

Hollywood English - that well-known transatlantic oxymoron!

You gringed? Interesting combination of cringed and groaned! I'll adopt that one.

Oh please... I've seen you type in the match chat, so I think you have no business commenting on other people's typos. :happy001:

Edited by Maksimov

Oh please... I've seen you type in the match chat, so I think you've no business commenting on other people's typos. :happy001:

Maks, I truly wondered if it was a new piece of youngspeak I wasn't acquainted with. :liar: (we need an emoticon of someone with burning knickers, methinks!)

Watched the pipe some time back and yes it eas filmed in Ireland but it only briefly takes in Irish culture, its more of a n "enviromental" film, e decent watch though. Recently watched Knuckle and it is a very harsh and at times sad tale of Irish Travelling people. Well worth a watch.

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 months later...