Limited options .. I should coco

Davey Baby

These are the 16 players AVB picks his first eleven from ..

Cech

Ivanovic

Bosingwa

Terry

Luiz

Cole

Romeu

Mikel

Ramires

Lampard

Mereiles

Sturridge

Mata

Malouda

Drogba

Torres

He quite clearly doesn't think anyone else is up to it, drafting in Ferreira and Kalou only when needs must.

Of those 16 two are going away .. To Africa. Even Kalou's going. That leaves 14 players he regards as worthy of a first team start.

Incredible.

If he picked the starting eleven from a bigger pool of players, some people would complain that he doesn't know what he's doing and that he's tinkering too much. If he felt the younger players were ready, I'm sure he'd play them.

If he picked the starting eleven from a bigger pool of players, some people would complain that he doesn't know what he's doing and that he's tinkering too much. If he felt the younger players were ready, I'm sure he'd play them.

Yes but he doesn't think they're ready, quite clearly.

It's not that we want him tinkering, it's that we're wafer thin, meaning injuries, suspensions, tiredness will really hurt us.

Still, at least it's January and the window's open.

I think this makes it even more obvious that we should pay the extra money to bring in Cahill and be done with it, which would free up Ivanovic to make more starts at right back.

We should also think very carefully as to whether Josh is allowed to go out on loan, however, Essien coming back may help us with numbers in midfield.

Despite everything, I still believe that another forward is needed. Torres can't be relied upon to start finding some form and we haven't replaced Anelka yet, either.

Was Anelka ever used as a central striker by AVB though? Surely his replacement would be someone who fits with the squad role he had, i.e. a wide player. Also, if AVB doesn't trust Josh to start yet or even come off the bench, I don't see why it would affect the depth much to let him go on loan to develop and prove himself.

It's clear signings will be made in the next month. Cahill, Azpilicueta and Hazard would do nicely for me. If we get Higuain as well, I'd be extremely pleased and if we signed... say Banega. I'd be giddy like a kid on Christmas day who was just expecting a toy fire engine but his parents bought him a pet dinosaur as well. Yes, I'd be THAT giddy.

That's why I said forward, and not central stiker.

If we play Torres, Sturridge and Mata up front as expected, and one of them gets injured, do we have quality to come in?... No.

There is an arguement to let Josh go out on loan now, but it could be said; why, then, wasn't he let go at the start of the season when Josh asked for a loan, only for AVB to reject it?.... Poor management if that's the case.

My point is that if there is another delay in Essien's comeback, and we get one more key injury to midfield (Ramires, Lampard, Meireles) then Josh could be incredibly close to starting.

It's a tough call to make, as none of us can predict the future, however if AVB still has no intention of using Josh, then he should have said so before a ball was even kicked and allowed him to go in the first place.

I'm pretty sure that AVB had not made up his mind about Josh or quite a few other players at the start of the season. He said he wanted to see what sort of players he had, so it would have been stupid to let one of the most promising young players at the club go on loan before he's seen what the player can do. I'm sure he'd heard good things about the player, so I reckon he wanted to see if the player might be ready to stand up and be counted.

I believe AVB wanted time to assess him, and it's my belief that he's been deemed as close, but lacking just enough for AVB to want to start him (rightly or wrongly). I like the fact that AVB wanted to take the time to look at the players rather than make decisions based on reputation, even if that does mean that certain things are and were delayed.

In central midfield we have Romeu, Mikel, Ramires, Meireles and Lampard. That's five players for three spots and Malouda can cover as well. I don't think depth there is a massive issue, although quality arguably is with regards to the third spot in midfield that Meireles and Lampard are fighting over...

Apologies for misinterpreting what you meant by forward, it's an ambiguous term in this context and I took the wrong meaning.

Edit - Damn you and your quick fingers Maksimov.

Edited by Eggy McMuffin

In central midfield we have Romeu, Mikel, Ramires, Meireles and Lampard. That's five players for three spots and Malouda can cover as well. I don't think depth there is a massive issue, although quality arguably is with regards to the third spot in midfield that Meireles and Lampard are fighting over...

I forgot Mikel isn't going to Africa.

Someone mentioned Essien, and while we all hope he makes a return and proves his worth to us this term, this should only be considered a bonus and not something we are dependent upon. Essien may well come back and break down again, and if he doesn't, he may well need some time to find his feet and regain match fitness. I hope I'm wrong as he would make a massive difference right now but I can't see him being anything other than a bit-part player. Shame because we used to dominate sides in the middle of the park, and he was one of the main reasons.

Edited by Davey Baby

I forgot Mikel isn't going to Africa.

Someone mentioned Essien, and while we all hope he makes a return and proves his worth to us this term, this should only be considered a bonus and not something we are dependent upon. Essien may well come back and break down again, and if he doesn't, he may well need some time to find his feet and regain match fitness. I hope I'm wrong as he would make a massive difference right now but I can't see him being anything other than a bit-part player. Shame because we used to dominate sides in the middle of the park, and he was one of the main reasons.

The problem with Essien is that even when he was healthy last year, he was a shadow of his former self. I'd love nothing more than for Essien to come back healthy and return to the dominating presence that he once was, but I certainly don't expect it and I agree that such a scenario must be regarded as a rather unlikely bonus.

The problem with Essien is that even when he was healthy last year, he was a shadow of his former self. I'd love nothing more than for Essien to come back healthy and return to the dominating presence that he once was, but I certainly don't expect it and I agree that such a scenario must be regarded as a rather unlikely bonus.

Unfortunately, I think you're right.