Are London Derbies now meaningless?

Myles_91

I think it was evident after today's "performance" that the passion in London Derbies has now been lost. Redknapp's comments prior to the game were quite truthful and eye opening as well. For those that didn't see read this..

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/03/23/2987732/tottenhams-foreign-players-dont-understand-chelsea-rivalry

It was clear that the Benfica game was more important to the players and management. I think I speak for all Chelsea fans in that today mattered a lot more.

I think since the inception of the PL a lot has been lost from the game and local pride/rivalry is certainly one of them.

Sadly, I think you're right. In 35 years I've never seen such a weak effort from a Chelsea team against Spuds, they just didn't look like they cared.

Even worse, the fans hatred for each other was nothing like it used to be, which saddens me beyond belief. F*ckin' pathetic!

Even worse, the fans hatred for each other was nothing like it used to be, which saddens me beyond belief. F*ckin' pathetic!

You say that as if it's a bad thing... I'm not keen on Spurs at all, but in terms of how easy they are to hate they don't even come close to teams like Liverpool, QPR etc

Yes rivalries are good, yes banter and jibes between fans are good, and yes fiery derbys are good, but to hate (strong word) a team and all of their fans just based on history and tradition seems silly to me. Do you still hate the Germans because of World War 2?

I'm not keen on Spurs at all, but in terms of how easy they are to hate they don't even come close to teams like Liverpool, QPR etc

Sorry mate - its not even a subject to debate for me. Spurs top of the list, then a big gap and then the rest.

Sadly, I think you're right. In 35 years I've never seen such a weak effort from a Chelsea team against Spuds, they just didn't look like they cared.

I agree, in general I just think the magic has gone, from the managers to the fans to the players. That was probably the most toothless Chelsea performance vs Spuds I have seen since the Carling Cup Final in 2008.

In many ways I feel more disappointed with this than if we had played well and lost (i.e Arsenal)

You say that as if it's a bad thing... I'm not keen on Spurs at all, but in terms of how easy they are to hate they don't even come close to teams like Liverpool, QPR etc

Yes rivalries are good, yes banter and jibes between fans are good, and yes fiery derbys are good, but to hate (strong word) a team and all of their fans just based on history and tradition seems silly to me. Do you still hate the Germans because of World War 2?

It's different. Football is a tribal sport. There is a fine line between love and hate.

We hate Spurs but at the same time we love to hate them. You need rivalry in sports like this, without it, the sport is nothing.

And if you go to a game vs Spurs at WHL I guarantee you will feel differently, a lot of it is down to personal experience and even from my short time of going to Chelsea matches (13 years) I can say hands down they are easily the most loathesome I have come across. 40 year old men coming out of alley's trying to ambush lonesome or small groups of fans when the numbers are in their favour. I've also heard of Spuds setting on Fulham shirters as well.

Until I started going home and away often I hated both West Ham and Arsenal more than Spurs, that's changed now, I dread to imagine how much hatred the older Chelsea fans have if Spuds are like this even today, it must have been much worse in the 70s and 80s.

Liverpool is purely a footballing rivalry and as for QPR, they are up there with Fulham in the non-entity's as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Myles_91

And if you go to a game vs Spurs at WHL I guarantee you will feel differently, a lot of it is down to personal experience and even from my short time of going to Chelsea matches (13 years) I can say hands down they are easily the most loathesome I have come across.

Ive been to a Spurs game both at the Bridge, and also at WHL (sitting amongst the Spurs fans, against my will...) and cant say I noticed that at all. I have 4 friends who are Spurs fans and they are amongst the most humble football fans I know, never gloating, never putting other teams down, generally acting decently and maturely. By contrast the QPR fan I know comes across as a right smug bitch, and of the 10 or so Liverpool fans I know at least half of them still believe theyre going to win the league next season and that they are by far the most victimised team in the league, poor Luis Suarez.

Whilst I agree that rivalries are part of what makes football great, those big games you get so anxious about, that give you such a sense of joy if you pull through and win, what those matches are do probably come down to personal experience - maybe if you had my experiences, you wouldnt mind Tottenham so much, and if I had yours, I would indeed hate them.

For me they dont even come close to QPR or Liverpool in teams I find hateable.

]

Ive been to a Spurs game both at the Bridge, and also at WHL (sitting amongst the Spurs fans, against my will...) and cant say I noticed that at all. I have 4 friends who are Spurs fans and they are amongst the most humble football fans I know, never gloating, never putting other teams down, generally acting decently and maturely. By contrast the QPR fan I know comes across as a right smug bitch, and of the 10 or so Liverpool fans I know at least half of them still believe theyre going to win the league next season and that they are by far the most victimised team in the league, poor Luis Suarez.

Whilst I agree that rivalries are part of what makes football great, those big games you get so anxious about, that give you such a sense of joy if you pull through and win, what those matches are do probably come down to personal experience - maybe if you had my experiences, you wouldnt mind Tottenham so much, and if I had yours, I would indeed hate them.

For me they dont even come close to QPR or Liverpool in teams I find hateable.

I don't consider Liverpool (or United fans) near me to be proper fans anyway, they are just gloryhunters that have no connection with their clubs and probably couldn't point to Liverpool on a map never mind having been to a game.

As for QPR they are small fry. For some unbeknownst reason they have a hatred and obsession with Chelsea so it's perhaps understandable. I find Crystal Palace fans pretty similar to them in that respect. Not nice when you have a big club on your doorstep constantly overshadowing you with huge support. Leyton Orient feel the same way about West Ham.

Edited by Myles_91

Seeing the trouble down the Fulham road Saturday I think it is pretty healthy rivalry... scum the lot of them.

However for me, having watched them home and away in recent years it has dulled down without a doubt, I think mostly because of the 14 season unbeaten run.

• 4 weeks later...

No, London derbies are great especially when Chelsea get one over on arsenal and spurs. Qpr and fulham like to consider us as their rivals because they think we care when we dont its all about arsenal and spurs and possibly millwall and west ham on the pitch that is not on the tear up side of things.