Entertaining former European champion

octville

It is ironic how things have fallen for our FA opponent, Nottingham Forest.

Since Brian Clough and their glory days of winning the old European Cup ( intense rivalry then with the red Scouser, and we have never won the European Cup or Champion's League), how they have fallen !

Although on the brink of championship promotion to championship, Forest will prove to be a stronger opponent than Wycombe after dispatching Charlton in the last round.

I thought Obi Mikel played well in the last game, so did Diarra and Schevcenko, so i think they will start.

Cech ; Bridge, Essien, Carvalho, Cole; Ballack, Obi, Diarra, Lampard; Schevcenko, Drogs.

Sub : SWP, Hilario, Geremi, Ferreira, Morais, Sahar

Main threat comes from Grant Holt, who is linked to move away from City Ground. He scored against Charlton. The other would be Nathan Tyson, who was unsettled at Reading and Wycombe before his 675,000 quids move to Forest.

All said, i expect a good fight but Chelsea to win 3-0 - Drogs, Lamps and Andrei on fire 1064.gif

to be honest im not impressed with chelsea as a team. good man 4 man but as a team not so good. got to be the most unhappy team ive ever seen even so you will have to much 4 us prediction 3-1 chelsea and forest to take a shock lead

Brings back some good memories. Forest were always one of the fixtures I looked out for back in the day. Under Clough they were a great team and always tried to play decent football. We had both good and bad days against them at the Bridge that I remember from those days:

1978 - we beat them 1-0 with a goal from debutant Trevor Aylott after a long series of games where we had failed to find the net. They of course went on to win the league that season

1979 - The played us twice in a week spanking us 6-0 at their place and 3-1 at the Bridge on the way to our relegation. By then they really looked the part as European Champions to be.

1985 (I think) - entertaining 4-2 win at the Bridge. Johnny Metgod was new to their team and scored I think.

1986 - They spanked us 6-2 at the Bridge with Franz Carr tearing young full back John Millar apart on the wing. I don't think I can remember us ever being beaten more comprehensively at home. Amazingly we were 2-1 up after 10 minutes too.

1987 - Looked like more of the same after going into the interval 3-1 down and totally outplayed. But a great second half comeback saw us win 4-3. Goals from Clive Wilson and Tony Dorigo among others I think.

Brings back some good memories. Forest were always one of the fixtures I looked out for back in the day. Under Clough they were a great team and always tried to play decent football. We had both good and bad days against them at the Bridge that I remember from those days:

1978 - we beat them 1-0 with a goal from debutant Trevor Aylott after a long series of games where we had failed to find the net. They of course went on to win the league that season

1979 - The played us twice in a week spanking us 6-0 at their place and 3-1 at the Bridge on the way to our relegation. By then they really looked the part as European Champions to be.

1985 (I think) - entertaining 4-2 win at the Bridge. Johnny Metgod was new to their team and scored I think.

1986 - They spanked us 6-2 at the Bridge with Franz Carr tearing young full back John Millar apart on the wing. I don't think I can remember us ever being beaten more comprehensively at home. Amazingly we were 2-1 up after 10 minutes too.

1987 - Looked like more of the same after going into the interval 3-1 down and totally outplayed. But a great second half comeback saw us win 4-3. Goals from Clive Wilson and Tony Dorigo among others I think.

and who can forget the City Ground in 1991 ?

icon_eek.gif

and who can forget the City Ground in 1991 ?

icon_eek.gif

Regardless of the disastrous 7-0 defeat our support that day was magnificent. I remember the sarcastic chants of "we want 8!" I'm pretty sure Frank Sinclair made his debut at left back that day and was given a torrid time. Of course a week later I think we went and ruined Liverpool's title challenge with a brilliant 4-2 win at home (2 goals from King Kerry stood out). That was pretty typical of our inconsistency in those days. We were also the only team to beat champions Arsenal that season.

Archived