Jump to content

Rangers heroes


Recommended Posts

There have been many, many great players represent the Rangers over the years, just thought we should have a place to remember them. Please feel free to add your favourites!


I'll start off with the late great...




first off, a couple of tributes...




and finally, the best Rangers game I ever saw in the flesh (so to speak), the 1981 Scottish Cup Final Replay against Dundee United at Hampden, better known as the Davie Cooper Final. I was so pissed at this game I'm amazed I can remember any of it!


Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

There have been many, many great players represent the Rangers over the years, just thought we should have a place to remember them. Please feel free to add your favourites!


I'll start off with the late great...




first off, a couple of tributes...




and finally, the best Rangers game I ever saw in the flesh (so to speak), the 1981 Scottish Cup Final Replay against Dundee United at Hampden, better known as the Davie Cooper Final. I was so pissed at this game I'm amazed I can remember any of it!


Memories of a great Rangers player. He gave  a brilliant display v Dundee United at Ibrox, Skol Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg in Feb 1984 and destroyed the best ever Dundee Utd team


This was a team who were reigning champions and would reach the European Cup Semi final taht 1983/84 seasoon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sandy Jardine is another who definitely belongs in this thread. In light of everything else that's been going on, I thought he also deserved his own thread .. as well as a mention in this thread. So to put matters right, here are a couple of clips of a true Rangers legend:


Sandy Jardine tribute:


Sandy Jardine and Davie Cooper (1979)


Sandy Jardine's Ibrox Speech:


Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...



Legendary Rangers Keeper Bobby Brown Celebrates His 90th Birthday




TODAY marks the 90th birthday of one of the greatest goalkeepers ever to play for the club, Bobby Brown.

Brown enjoyed a glittering career with Rangers as he formed the final line of resistance behind the club’s famous Iron Curtain defence.

A decade long spell with the Light Blues saw him make 296 appearances and collect eight winner’s medals including three league titles, a famous treble in 1949 and the country’s first ever League Cup in 1947.

He maintains fond memories of that time and hopes to see the club competing for major honours again in the near future.

Brown said: “It’s hard to believe that League Cup win was 65 years ago, but I remember it well.

“Sadly most of those players are no longer with us, but my memory is of those men and the ecstasy that we as players exuded after winning that trophy.

“It wasn’t a case of having an open top bus or anything like that. It was just part of our job to win so we went back to the old St Enoch hotel.

“We had a meal and the directors came in and spoke with us and that was the Rangers that I know, great players and great memories.

“We won the treble two years later and we won the league by a narrow margin. The competition then in the top division was fierce.

“I hope very much that while I’m still on this planet I see the Rangers back up there and heading the top division.

“I want to see them back as a force in football not only in Scotland but in Europe where they belong. I find it very difficult to get my head round the fact that Rangers are in Division 3.â€

Brown moved on to Falkirk when his playing days with Rangers ended, before turning to management with St Johnstone, later taking on the Scotland job in early 1967.

He led the national team for the first time in a game that saw his side famously defeat world champions England 3-2 at Wembley with Jim Baxter as the Auld Enemy’s chief tormentor.

However it was his time at Rangers that he remembers most fondly.

Brown added: “Queens Park were very good to me  but my allegiance changed when I left to become professional and my memories of Rangers, of Mr Struth and of the players we had and the bond we shared are special.

“We all played together and were there for life really. In those days players were bound to the club in a different way to nowadays when players might come for a year or two. There was continuity in those days.â€


From Wikipedia:


Robert "Bobby" Brown (born 19 March 1923 in Dunipace, Stirlingshire) is a former Scottish international footballer and manager.

Bobby Brown made his debut as a goalkeeper for Queen's Park in 1939. He went on to establish himself as the first-choice goalkeeper for the next two seasons, but like many others at this time, his appearances were interrupted by the Second World War, where he served in the Navy as a physical training instructor.

Brown played in several war time internationals, and in his last season at Hampden in season 1945–46 he shared the Queen's Park goalkeeper's jersey with another future Scottish international, Ronnie Simpson. His form was rewarded with a full international call up, and in January 1946 he made his Scotland debut in a friendly against Belgium. He remains the last amateur player to earn a full international cap for Scotland, and is also the last player to earn a full Scotland cap whilst still a signed player at Hampden.

At the end of the 1945–46 season, he left Queen's Park for Rangers, where he played for ten years. During his time at Rangers, he won 5 League championships and 4 Scottish Cups. He also won a further five caps for Scotland before moving to Falkirk in 1956. Brown appeared eight times for the Scottish League XI between 1949 and 1952.[1] He played for Falkirk for two years, after which he retired from playing.

Brown then became manager of St Johnstone. He became the first full-time Scotland manager in 1967, and his first international match as manager was the famous 3–2 victory over world champions England at Wembley Stadium. This game also saw Brown give his goalkeeping understudy from his Hampden days, Ronnie Simpson, his international debut. Bobby continued as Scotland manager until 1971, but often found his Scotland squads depleted by club demands and results suffered accordingly. After finishing with Scotland in 1971, he turned to his business interests outside football, although he remained involved in the game, scouting for Plymouth Argyle for several years. He is now retired and lives in Helensburgh.


And from youtube:






Link to comment
Share on other sites





Derek Johnstone, a boyhood Dundee United supporter, signed for Rangers as a schoolboy in 1968. He turned professional in 1970 and made his debut aged 16 years and 319 days against Cowdenbeath on 19 September 1970, scoring twice on his debut, a 5–0 victory.

Despite his heroics against Celtic, Johnstone found regular first-team outings in the number nine jersey hard to come by, largely due to the presence of Colin Stein, Scotland's first £100,000 player, although he did score eleven goals in sixteen league appearances during the 1971–72 season. He compensated for his lack of frontline action by often playing as a centre-back when either Ronnie McKinnon or Colin Jackson were injured, and when the duo were ruled out of the European Cup Winners' Cup Final in 1972, Johnstone, still only eighteen, deputised in the showpiece match against Dynamo Moscow. His mature display in Rangers' 3–2 victory belied his youth and inexperience.

With performances such as this, Johnstone soon became a regular in the starting line-up, and he picked up a Scottish Cup winners' medal in 1973 when Rangers defeated Celtic 3–2 at Hampden Park. Johnstone played a huge role in the winning goal, rising above the Celtic defence to head a Tommy McLean free-kick towards goal, and when his header struck both posts, Tam Forsyth was on hand to nudge the rebound over the line. The McLean-Johnstone combination that created this famous goal was a hallmark of Rangers' play in the 1970s.


Johnstone eventually picked up a league championship medal at the end of the 1974–75 campaign, as Rangers ended Celtic's nine-year reign as Kings of Scotland, and he was an integral part of The 'Gers Treble success a year later. He scored a total of thirty-one goals in fifty-one appearances, including two in a 3–1 win over Hearts in the Scottish Cup Final. He scored his first, a typical header, after just forty-two seconds and thus earned himself a unique place in the annals of Scottish Football. The referee had actually kicked off the match early, so Johnstone had actually hit the net before the allotted 3pm kick-off time had been reached.

Although 1976–77 was a barren season for Rangers, they came back with a bang in 1977–78 by winning their second Treble inside three years. Johnstone was the outstanding performer in what was an exceptional Rangers side, scoring thirty-eight goals over the course of the campaign and picking up the Scottish Football Writers' Player of the Year accolade.


With Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur reportedly interested in luring Rangers' top marksman to London, Johnstone submitted a transfer request in the summer of 1978. He was seeking a new challenge in his career, but the intervention of new Rangers manager John Greig persuaded Johnstone to stay in Glasgow. He was named club captain, and in his first season with the armband, he almost led Rangers to an unprecedented second successive Treble. Only a last-gasp 4–2 defeat against Celtic at Parkhead robbed Rangers of the Championship, but Johnstone did get his hands on the Scottish Cup – he scored twice in the Final's second replay against Hibernian and the League Cup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Derek Parlane a Rangers hero of mine.


Distinguished Professional Footballer, Scotland International and Glasgow Rangers Hall of Fame Inductee

Derek James Parlane was born on the 5th May 1953 in Helensburgh. Following in the footsteps of his father Jimmy Parlane, Derek grew up to become a professional footballer who had a distinguished club career and also represented his country at international level. Father Jimmy had represented Rangers during the war years and for a short while after hostilities ended.

Derek started his football career as a schoolboy playing for Rhu Primary School, before starring for Hermitage Academy. He played for the school team and local Dumbarton team, Castle Rock and was then asked to train with Queen’s Park. It was whilst playing for the Queen’s Park second XI that he got his break. At the age of 15 he was selected to play for Scotland Amateurs in the home Internationals and came to attention, as a 16 year old, to several clubs offering professional terms.

Derek was signed by Willie Waddell and Willie Thornton for Glasgow Rangers FC, when they visited his home, an occasion Derek fondly remembers.

He signed for Rangers, where he went on to win 2 championships, 3 Scottish Cups and 2 Scottish League Cups and was capped by Scotland 12 times with one under 21 cap. He played for 10 seasons between 1970 and 1980 and scored 80 goals, finishing the club’s top scorer in four seasons, in 202 matches. He is fondly remembered by Rangers fans for his European debut in 1972. Derek scored the decisive second goal in a 2-0 win – a stunning volley - to put Bayern Munich, arguably West Germany's greatest ever club side out of the European Cup-Winners' Cup at the semi final stage. Rangers went on to win the competition beating Moscow Dynamo 3-2 in the Nou Camp Final.

It was during the 1975/76 Treble winning season, that Derek was dropped by Rangers for the first time. His form dipped in the November and his No 9 shirt was given to Martin Henderson. Until that time, Derek had played virtually every game for Rangers and he later recalled his disappointment at being called into Jock Wallace's office on a Friday and being told he was to be dropped the following day. Derek remembers visiting his parents in Rhu to give them the bad news. Derek was to regain his place the following season, although Rangers failed to retain any of their trophies. Although Rangers swept all before them in the 1977/78 season, Derek was to play a peripheral role - with most of his appearances coming from the bench. His final Rangers honours coming in the Scottish Cup final reply where Hibs were beaten 3-2 AET.

In March 1980, Derek left Rangers for Leeds United for a fee of £160,000 but this wasn't to prove a successful stay. He scored 10 goals in 53 appearances for Leeds before going to Hong Kong on loan with Bulova. On 14 July 1983, new Manchester City manager Billy McNeill brought him to Maine Road. Derek went on to score 20 goals in 48 appearances for City.

Derek was injured in September 1984 and was sold by City to Swansea City in January 1985. After the season finished he played in New Zealand for the summer with North Shore United. He spent the 1985-86 season in Belgium with Racing Jet (2 games 0 goals) before returning to play two seasons with Rochdale from 1986-88, playing 42 games and scoring 10 times.

His last professional club was Airdrie in the 1987-88 season, scoring 4 goals in 9 games, before signing for then non-league outfit Macclesfield Town in England.

On the 22nd February 2010, Derek Parlane was inducted into the Rangers FC Hall of Fame. At the presentation, Derek said:""My father Jimmy played for Rangers in the 1940s and he died a few years ago. This would have been a big night for him and he'd have been so proud of me too. I've been delighted to be part of this football club. If someone said to me when I signed at 16 and a half, that one day I would be inducted into the Hall of Fame, I'd have thought they were having a laugh. I had 10 great years at Ibrox. I was a supporter first and foremost and this just caps it all perfectly. It's my best moment as a Ranger."

After his football career was over, Derek moved to Lancashire, working for Reebok. He lives in Lytham St Annes, and has two sons and a daughter.

Image copyright and used by permission of Glasgow Rangers FC

{C} {C}






{C} {C}

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And he would still only have been 57.  No rhyme nor reason to why someone so talented, and such a nice bloke, should be taken so young.  I hope there's a football pitch up where he is! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites




Eric Caldow was a great Rangers and Scotland left back of late 1950s-mid 1960s. Had a 'cultured left foot' before defenders were allowed to have them...


Had his leg broken by Bobby Smith at Wembley in 1963 England v Scotland game.


This basically finished his career at top level.


Jimmy Johnstone said he only ever passed Eric Caldow once, but Eric was walking and Jimmy was in his car at the time :biggrin:


Rangers 265 appearences 17 goals


5 League ChampionshipWinners Medals, 2 Scottish Cup , 3 League Cup and a ECWC Runners up medal from 1961.


Scotland 40 appearences with 4 goals.


Great Rangers player.




Nice picture of Eric at Ibrox

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

Alright already, It's off!