Chelsea Fans

CarefreeMike

Just a quick question why is it that you don't really see many coloured "non-white" Chelsea supporters at home/away and euro away matches?

Do you not feel if there was more coloured british teen coloured Chelsea fans that it would help boost the clubs image, rather than just slating an obvious issue that we've faced since the 1970's-1980's, i still wait for the day a guy called Ernie or Tolu is leading Chelsea Alouette maybe when we get a bigger new stadium i hope.

Hello, welcome and thank you for your post.

You don't seem to be aware that the term 'coloured' is no longer acceptable. We do have a diverse ethnic and cultural mix across the team, management and other support including women. I'd love to see Drogba lead Chelsea, I'd also love to see this country have a black, female prime minister.

I don't know enough about demographics, but there are people on here who can better answer your questions I'm sure.

Hello, welcome and thank you for your post.

You don't seem to be aware that the term 'coloured' is no longer acceptable. We do have a diverse ethnic and cultural mix across the team, management and other support including women. I'd love to see Drogba lead Chelsea, I'd also love to see this country have a black, female prime minister.

I don't know enough about demographics, but there are people on here who can better answer your questions I'm sure.

But from my experience going to home and away matches and my friends who are current match day followers who are white, asian have even spotted that you don't really see young black teenagers leading the songs or going to the away games, if there was more of that how it is at Arsenal/United i'm sure there wouldn't be such an uproar over a small minority that want Chelsea to still be this 1980's-70's hooligan image.

You make an interesting point Carefree Mike, I think the low representation of Asian players is a particular issue, but realise Chelsea is addressing it.

Just my view, but I think everyone is interracial, there is no such thing as British, or English for example. The stereotypical white bigot makes me laugh as their DNA will show all manner of ethnicity.

If you are comfortable referring to yourself as coloured I guess that's fine, but those referring to you as such would risk admonishment as did

Benedict Cumberbatch recently. These are the times we live in.

I have a young black friend in London who supports Man U, I'll raise the question with him. Yours was a thought provoking post.

It doesn't necessarily follow that a mostly white crowd is more likely to be racist. I attend quite a few cricket matches where most spectators are white and even at the rowdier 20/20 matches there is no racism (well, I've not seen/heard any). There's none also at matches where England play Pakistan, India, etc. It's a different sport of course but it would not be tolerated at cricket by other fans.

Is this based on statistics that we have a lower number of minority supporters attending matches or is this, as I suspect, pure guess work?

No statistics just experiences and what i see almost every year when i go away games and home games sitting in the Sheddy Upper and Harding Lower/Upper, even on the concourse.

British born Teenage Asians/Chinese/Black/Turkish at away games etc.

Just spoke to my young friend (British born, Jamaican parents) born and bred in south London. He said Chelsea are 'perceived as really racist', so from a young age (he's now 24) he has followed Man U. Asked if Chelsea were, or are. He said it was once a real issue and feels racism in general has improved, but still exists and not just in football. He said having supported a team from a young age that's it.

British Born yeah? i beg to differ.... Tourists yeah but British ethnic Born Teenagers?

Because tickets are too expensive?

It's been mentioned here before that we have an old fanbase and that tickets are expensive so any young supporters are likely to be the sons of those old white guys who came in the 80s, 90s etc. right?

I suppose there's also a point that our club might not have been that welcoming of certain ethnic minorities in days gone by (not a problem exclusive to us but still) and if you were a young black kid looking for a role model in the late-80s and early-90s then it probably wouldn't be Gordon Durie you gravitated to, but perhaps Ian Wright.

It's been mentioned here before that we have an old fanbase and that tickets are expensive so any young supporters are likely to be the sons of those old white guys who came in the 80s, 90s etc. right?

I suppose there's also a point that our club might not have been that welcoming of certain ethnic minorities in days gone by (not a problem exclusive to us but still) and if you were a young black kid looking for a role model in the late-80s and early-90s then it probably wouldn't be Gordon Durie you gravitated to, but perhaps Ian Wright.

Along the lines of what my young friend told me (few above).

Would've been Ruud Gullit for sure. Then again I'm neither black nor British.

Along the lines of what my young friend told me (few above).

Well that's another thing isn't it - if you've got no club allegiance from your family then you can always gloryhunt and that means United for a lot of people. Probably changed a lot in recent years but there's still the issue of getting tickets.

I attend matches with 3 Asian friends. I have only missed one home game in the last 2 years so can be considered a regular. Not once have I heard anything racial in all my time there.

I have no doubt racists attend Chelsea games, but racists go to the proms, the rugby, the darts, they are a very tiny minority. If anyone seriously questions going to the bridge because they believe they might be picked on or taunted then stop believing what you hear and go see it for yourself.

Archived