Hard to Motivate a Manager?

Zola

No, I’m not worried about getting sacked. I was worried when I was in League Two in Italy, not now.”

-Maurizio Sarri

We often give players stick for downing tools / not putting in a shift etc, but you have to look at the managers after comments like the above.

Managers can come in, give it a blast and if it doesn't work out, who cares, you'll get the money anyway. Not going your way? Just be stubborn and you'll get sent home with your millions nice and promptly. 

This says it all about modern football doesn't it?  He actually doesn't give a sh*t.

I saw a quote attributed to him the other day something along the lines of "I don't want to face Napoli in the Europa League, it would be too much of an emotional reunion and i wouldnt be able to focus on the game properly"

And he questions the players mentalities and motivation... 

I've been thinking a bit more about the question posed by this thread. What motivates managers. 

Ego is one thing, but wanting to be a leader, to develop others, to create something unique with a group of other people have got to be in the mix too. Utilising the resources of the squad maybe another, winning games and trophies, feeling like a winner have got to be there.

Looking at successful football managers you can see these characteristics quite clearly. 

With Sarri we seem to have a man who is trying to prove that his philosophy will bring success whatever the circumstances. He's not worried about results his only worry is whether his football formula is being followed. He prepares no differently for Man City than he does for Sheffield Wednesday. The capability of the opposition is not relevant, only whether we play to his formula. His goals are unclear, he has won little of note.

He's not cut out for Chelsea, he'd be happier at Palace or West Ham where he could pursue his doctrine away from the high expectations of success. 

Time to accept the inevitable and move on. 

33 minutes ago, carrickblue said:

I've been thinking a bit more about the question posed by this thread. What motivates managers. 

Ego is one thing, but wanting to be a leader, to develop others, to create something unique with a group of other people have got to be in the mix too. Utilising the resources of the squad maybe another, winning games and trophies, feeling like a winner have got to be there.

Looking at successful football managers you can see these characteristics quite clearly. 

With Sarri we seem to have a man who is trying to prove that his philosophy will bring success whatever the circumstances. He's not worried about results his only worry is whether his football formula is being followed. He prepares no differently for Man City than he does for Sheffield Wednesday. The capability of the opposition is not relevant, only whether we play to his formula. His goals are unclear, he has won little of note.

He's not cut out for Chelsea, he'd be happier at Palace or West Ham where he could pursue his doctrine away from the high expectations of success. 

Time to accept the inevitable and move on. 

Reminds me of Wenger without the trophies.

Archived