Sign in to follow this  
City Beautiful SC

Brand New Chelsea FC fan

Hey everyone, after much research the other day, I have elected to support Chelsea FC as my Premier League team. I'm from Orlando and I've been following my local MLS team Orlando City avidly for the past 4 years and thought it was about time I picked a side in Europe to watch "proper football" as it were. I'm a huge Pulisic fan and I am very excited to see him next season. Some reasons that I liked the cut of your jib include:

You're not Manchester whatever.
You don't have a cock for a mascot.
You're not Liverpool.
Your name doesn't start with Arse.
You were founded approximately the same year as my university American football team.
I find the story of your founding absolutely hilarious.
You've had parallel periods of ups and downs as said college football team.
Blue is my favorite color.
You don't play in a cottage.

I am very glad to have found this forum. Please point me to all the proper places to become educated about rivals and history. Any listing of most hated rivals and why are of particular interest to myself. Best ways to follow the club from afar and favorite Chelsea and Premier League site recommendations are much appreciated.  Also if someone could explain the byzantine ticketing system for attending a match, that would be useful for whenever I eventually do manage to visit the UK. I also know it is absolutely nearly impossible to attain such tickets without immense planning ahead. Again thank you for this site and your hospitality!

Welcome.

Check out vintage Chelsea on this site and go to the picture gallery section and you will find a lot about our history and culture (or sub-culture as sociologists might put it).

in terms of tickets, first become a member of Chelsea FC. You can do this online through the main Chelsea FC website and obviously wait until next season to do this.

Then move to England.

Okay, just kidding. Instead, join a USA supporters club and this will be your best way to get tickets.

Congratulations on becoming a Chelsea supporter. Tomorrow morning in the shower belt out two renditions of Carefree ... at the top of your voice and you will get such an adrenaline rush.

Good luck mate.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

@City Beautiful SC Nice intro, even with a touch of humour.

This is the best site I have encountered for facts and figures, and it gets plagiarised frequently I suspect.

http://www.bounder.friardale.co.uk/index.htm

Thank you for the kind words! This is precisely the sort of thing I am looking for! What are some historical catalysts for our most hated rivals in your opinion? I'll give you an example of the sort of thing I'm after from an American College Football perspective: I'm a Florida fan and Florida fans loathe Georgia because of games like this:

In 1942, a Florida team depleted by World War II enlistments and playing partially with random students pulled off the street was hammered by a Georgia team bolstered by their strong ROTC (All-American type players kept out of WWII) program, losing 75-0. Running up the score in that sort of circumstance is one of the games that fostered a white-hot hatred for Georgia.

With that in mind, what are some particularly memorable matches that have stoked the fires for Chelsea?

Edited by City Beautiful SC

34 minutes ago, City Beautiful SC said:

What are some historical catalysts for our most hated rivals in your opinion?

Our rivalry with Liverpool is a fairly recent one as far as i am aware. Between 2004-05 - 2008-9 we played them so often in the Champions League. We had the upper hand in the league games, and they tended to have the better of the champions league/ cup games.

In 2004-05 we played them in the Semi Final of the champions league and they won the tie due to a goal being awarded to them despite it not being clear if it actually crossed the line or not (youtube Luis Garcia ghost goal if you have not already seen it). They of course went on to win the champions league that season.

I would also say that their fans over here have a bigger sense of entitlement than probably any other fanbase in the country. It's always "their year" as far as the Premier League is concerned, despite them not having been champions of England's top division for nearly 30 years.  

1 hour ago, City Beautiful SC said:

Thank you for the kind words! This is precisely the sort of thing I am looking for! What are some historical catalysts for our most hated rivals in your opinion? I'll give you an example of the sort of thing I'm after from an American College Football perspective: I'm a Florida fan and Florida fans loathe Georgia because of games like this:

In 1942, a Florida team depleted by World War II enlistments and playing partially with random students pulled off the street was hammered by a Georgia team bolstered by their strong ROTC (All-American type players kept out of WWII) program, losing 75-0. Running up the score in that sort of circumstance is one of the games fostered a white-hot hatred for Georgia.

With that in mind, what are some particularly memorable matches that have stoked the fires for Chelsea? 

There certainly is loathing between fans of different sets of clubs.

We may not all see it the same way though this is my take on it currently.

Big current rivals tend to be Liverpool and Tottenham.

I don’t think it is so much matches with Tottenham rather one-up-man-ship and their fans not being able to accept for a long period of time that Chelsea were more successful with trophies and also beating them.

One match stands out for me recently when Spurs (or Tottenham) were in the running to win the League (2015-2016) yet they needed a win at Stamford Bridge. They played aggressively and fouled a lot. The referee did not award cards for the fowls and Chelsea fell behind by two goals. If the result had stayed like this Tottenham may well have won the league instead of Leicester, such was their momentum. Chelsea came back to draw level and there were several melees on the pitch as the Spurs players lost their cool. The referee (Mark Clattenburg) now retired has come out and said if he’d booked players by the letter of the law, Spurs would have been down to 8 men in the first half and he would have been accused of favouritism given the title race. The media dubbed it the Battle of Stamford Bridge in mock reference to the battle of the same name in 1066 near York against the Vikings.

The Liverpool rivalry is harder to explain they are arguably the most successful club in England for trophies and also have an insular identity feeling aggrieved against Chelsea identifying us wrongly as being close to Westminster (political centre). We are geographically, and for a while some MPs were fans decades ago. More recently their noses have been put out of joint as we have won more trophies than them, this season may change that!  The Westminster grudge is linked to how the government of the day treated them over the Hillsborough disaster and they were victims in a secondary Heysel Stadium disaster.  I think in their eyes they associate us with the government of the day or did. Recently made worse by some intense matches over the last decade in cup competitions.

We have had a lot of other rivalries over different periods like Leeds in the 70’s, violence with Millwall, 70s-90’s.

Another rivalry for a while was a foreign one, Barcelona as we seemed to meet them yearly and mostly lose until 2012. In the semi-finals of the cup in the Nou Camp stadium of 95,000 we had our captain sent off and were 2-0 down. We came back to score two ourselves and get to the final of the Champions league with an aggregate score of 3-2 over both legs and then win the competition outright.

32 minutes ago, drjonesy1994 said:

Our rivalry with Liverpool is a fairly recent one as far as i am aware. Between 2004-05 - 2008-9 we played them so often in the Champions League. We had the upper hand in the league games, and they tended to have the better of the champions league/ cup games.

In 2004-05 we played them in the Semi Final of the champions league and they won the tie due to a goal being awarded to them despite it not being clear if it actually crossed the line or not (youtube Luis Garcia ghost goal if you have not already seen it). They of course went on to win the champions league that season.

I would also say that their fans over here have a bigger sense of entitlement than probably any other fanbase in the country. It's always "their year" as far as the Premier League is concerned, despite them not having been champions of England's top division for nearly 30 years.  

I think off the pitch we had a rivalry with them in the 90's that may have started due to us getting our first win their in the 91-92 season for close to 60 years.