Soft Players

dellaw
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

looks like lamps has got him self a bunch of tippy toe softies, their is no  hard centre   glory days  Drogs , Essien, Terry   and hard players like ballack , Duff  carvalho  we bullied teams now we are just getting run over  and what happened to playing the ball into the channel  for a forward to run on too ?  scum pool play a basic game but it works  three up front knock the ball over  and let them run on to it,   We have small players who play with backs to goal  thank God for our real ladies team  they show more steel  and are a much better team to watch  

@Mod Stark Now I’m intrigued, what was the thread title called? ?

Dellaw, I feel the same as you. I’ve posted about Abraham laughing and joking with Leicester players after a defeat, the mentality is pathetic but that’s modern football sadly. You really don’t see the likes of Drogba, Ballack and Terry anymore.

I remember the days of Keane and Vieira, that was glorious. No chance you’d see that now.

I think its somewhat expected from a young team like ours, against Leicester we had 7 players on the pitch age 24 or under (Reece, Ben, Mount, Tammy, Kai, CHO, Pulisic) I think as they become more acclimatized to the league and get older they will build strength naturally. I can see Tammy, CHO, Reece & Kai to really put on strength and become more resilient as they develop physically, for example Salah seemed lightweight when he joined us however as he has aged he has become a lot stronger on the ball and is not bullied off as much.  

There  is an argument for them growing up  but football  does not wait  the team has no spine  even  a non footballing   person  can work out that  a 36 year old defender with no pace , a 5 ft high midfielder with lots of energy and no pace  is not going to win us anything  unfortunately they are the best options we have  

6 minutes ago, dellaw said:

There  is an argument for them growing up  but football  does not wait  the team has no spine  even  a non footballing   person  can work out that  a 36 year old defender with no pace , a 5 ft high midfielder with lots of energy and no pace  is not going to win us anything  unfortunately they are the best options we have  

A month back Ben & Reece were being touted as being the best fullback partnership in the league, Pulisic was operating at world class levels last season, Mount is already outshining the likes of Kova in our lineup, Kai has been identified as being a generational talent, The best team in the world is on a mission to sign CHO & Tammy has been our most successful number 9 since Costa.

We are in a very fortunate position to have so many talented young players currently in the squad and you are right at times we do get bullied by teams but last season we finished 4th with a very young team. Currently we are struggling and the team is down on confidence hence the lack of experience & physicality is being exposed somewhat but if the players operate anywhere near the potential they possess we will blow teams away rather then getting dragged into a battle of physicality.

18 minutes ago, dellaw said:

I would like to see a bit more of Anjorin at over 6ft with a bit of pace and a confident finish who does not easily lose the ball I struggle to see why he has not been given some minutes bar the one 5 min cameo.

The FA Cup would be a start and also it send a message to others to try a bit harder.

Edited by strider6004

I think it has been said a lot lately that we are a soft side and don't have any players with a "nasty streak" or even with just a bit more grit about them. But it's not just us, there are very few teams that have players opponents love to hate, like a Keane, Vierra, Wise, Ramos, Costa etc.

I think we are a bit more of a pushover than most and bar Silva we are lacking leaders as well as players who can stamp their authority on games. It's no wonder when you think how easy these players have it these days and how they are mollycoddled. Years ago, players had to come though by often playing for non-league or at least lower league clubs. Learning their trade at clubs with little in way of luxury facilities, poor pitches, sh*t changing rooms with no heating and poor showers. So many modern players come through academies where everything is top quality and they've never have to rough it. That's why I admire players like Jamie Vardy who is one of the big exceptions these days. Come through the hard way and you can see what football means to him 'cos he hasn't had it given to him on a plate and that sort of thing must rub off on team mates.

But no doubt about it, we could definitely do with an enforcer. Gilmour has a bit more about him (that will be the Scot in him), but obviously his size will go against him although there have been plenty of fiery little players in the past, so GET him in the starting 11!