Playing the right way

wicksy
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

So what happened to "playing the right way" then?

In the first couple of months after he took over, Average Grant made much of how under him Chelsea would play football "the right way". I didn't see much evidence of that in the early days, though to be fair the fullbacks seemed to be given licence to push up more and SWP and Joey arguably played with more freedom.

However, I have noticed that Grant no longer mentions "playing the right way" and just as well, because our football has been dire in recent games, not just today. So what happened to playing better football under Grant then? Anybody really believe we're going to see good football under him? Has he abandoned that philosophy?

I don't think he's a good enough manager to get us playing 'attractive' football. We've played for several years under Mourinho's defensive style and it is going to take some time to break out of that - probably not until this wave of players has moved on and we have a whole new set.

Obviously winning is the important thing, and if you play crap but still win you can at least be happy of the victory, but when you play crap and you lose it is very hard to take.

sadwalk.gif

In the first couple of months after he took over, Average Grant made much of how under him Chelsea would play football "the right way". I didn't see much evidence of that in the early days, though to be fair the fullbacks seemed to be given licence to push up more and SWP and Joey arguably played with more freedom.

However, I have noticed that Grant no longer mentions "playing the right way" and just as well, because our football has been dire in recent games, not just today. So what happened to playing better football under Grant then? Anybody really believe we're going to see good football under him? Has he abandoned that philosophy?

As one of the people happy to stick up for Grant and give him time I have to say I have noticed this and cant say I like it,

I feel its born out of fear and he is trying to get the team playing more in the Jose style than he did at first, that is not a dig at Jose as although I was not a big admirer of the way we often Strangled the life out of a game, I was an admire of the fact we usually won,

Grant I feel has bottled it a bit and tried to replecate the Jose style which he is not as good as Jose at, He is not as astute with substitutions and changing tactics twice or more in a game,

that said I still think he can do the Job if he carries on as he was with the more attacking style and we did see a bit of this in the last fifteen minutes today.

I am not excusing him for today but feel the players also should take a big proportion of the blame as whatever the tactics they just never looked up for it.

I knew that a problem would arise when we tried to play Drogba and Anelka together, we have not got the wingers for a 4-4-2 and we are wasting Anelka like Jose wasted Sheva when he is pushed wide.

I think Grant will sort this out but fear he will need a decent transfer window and another season to do it,

if he will get that time, I am not sure but the players need to sort themselves out if he is to get the chance.

Like Chippy I have been a defender of Grant and I still think a lot of the criticism he got was unwarranted and people conveneintly ignored things that went well. I even recall people trying to say that when we played well in the second half of a game then the credit went to Steve Clarke, yet I doubt those people would blame Clarke when we played badly.

However I do agree entirely that the past month or so has seen a massive deterioration in the team, both in terms of the level of performance and in terms of the players seeming to know what they are supposed to be doing.

What bothers me most about today (well other than the score obviously) is Anelka on the left flank. Grant seems to have the bottle to make the decision to drop Ballack (which i though was a grave error) but it almost appears as if he has shoe horned Anelka in just in order to select him and satisfy the desire people had to see Anelka and Drogba play together.

I've not been in either camp with regard to Grant, but as he's Roman's choice we've just had to live with it and get behind him. It's easy to slate him for today's performance, but it's not only today he's increasingly shown tactical ineptitude.

However, my point is the WAY we are playing. Grant made much of how under him we would play more attractive football. Much as I loved José I can understand why he had to go. However, I was irritated by Grant's implicit ctiticism of José, in his early interviews, when he frequently said that now he was in charge we would "play football the right way". That clearly isn't happening...

It's kinda ironic that we played our best football in recent times when all the African players were away at the ACN and Lamps & JT were injured. I know we only narrowly beat Everton in the semi final, but that was some of the best football I've seen us play in ages. SWP and Joe both taking turns to run at defenders centrally with no Essien and lamps to just knock the ball about in the manner they do without us really getting anywhere.

And no Drogba to rely on - hoofing long balls up.

I want to see us playing football how it should be played. No long ball from the keeper (lost count of them yesterday icon_rolleyes.gif ) and cut out the 101 sideways & backwards passes.

I feel its born out of fear and he is trying to get the team playing more in the Jose style than he did at first, that is not a dig at Jose as although I was not a big admirer of the way we often Strangled the life out of a game, I was an admire of the fact we usually won,

Grant I feel has bottled it a bit and tried to replecate the Jose style which he is not as good as Jose at, He is not as astute with substitutions and changing tactics twice or more in a game,

Jose Style? Boring Grinding out 1-0's?

Short memories mate!

[youtube:3ewyvcz9]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHYoJjxG6ro[/youtube:3ewyvcz9]

[youtube:3ewyvcz9]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0dE8G8Jyik[/youtube:3ewyvcz9]

Thank f**k Avram's about to give us some flair these days!! 300.gif

The reason that Grant has stopped saying this sort of stuff is probably down to the fact he has started to realise that it is much harder managing a top side like Chelsea, keeping the players happy, winning games, keeping the boss happy, keeping the fans happy (by winning games) and basically WINNING. He also probably realised than even he was taking the piss by saying stuff that was blatently untrue especially when the players kept telling everyone that nothing has changed really since Grant took over training or style wise. You can only say the sky is red for so long before common sense kicks in.

In the end losing games often enough can get you into far more trouble than not playing attractive enough football often enough.

I'll bet you any money you like that prior to Jose's departure Grant went home and moaned to the wife that if only he Avram Grant was in charge of this team they would be doing this, that, yadda, yadda, yadda. Why was Mourinho doing this? Why was Mourinho allowing that to happen? And so on.

He then got the job and suddenly after a few months of mouthing off about attractive football and how football had to be played in the right way, no more long balls, more quick passing, going all out to attack to wrap up a game - the penny dropped - as to what a difficult damn f**king job it is to be manager of a side like Chelsea and the incredible demands made on you emotionally, mentally and physically to try to duke it out in four competitions whilst playing football from the God's at your good friends supposed behest.

And as he kept winning games, the more he won the more he liked it, so what if he didn't really change that much and all his great ideas he would be thinking about never came to pass, he liked the lifestyle, the media spotlight in its own way, the sudden fame - no more Avram who it's Avram Grant manager of Chelsea thank you very much!

And with winning comes the fear of losing and Grant simply tossed all the mouthy rhetoric about attacking football (which was a sop to Roman in any case as he has never actually practised it) in the bin and kept on going with what worked day to day as he frankly had few ideas of his own really anyway - and until now it's paid off.

Now he's in a tricky position because no one does Mourinho's system better than Mourinho and Grant is either going to have to stick with it, tinker with it and pray it can still work or make take major decisions and risk upsetting the apple cart and losing everything including his job in the process.

Difficult times ahead.

It's kinda ironic that we played our best football in recent times when all the African players were away at the ACN and Lamps & JT were injured. I know we only narrowly beat Everton in the semi final, but that was some of the best football I've seen us play in ages. SWP and Joe both taking turns to run at defenders centrally with no Essien and lamps to just knock the ball about in the manner they do without us really getting anywhere. And no Drogba to rely on - hoofing long balls up.

I want to see us playing football how it should be played. No long ball from the keeper (lost count of them yesterday icon_rolleyes.gif ) and cut out the 101 sideways & backwards passes.

Exactly. I have said this for long and more so now that nobody in chelsea except ballack and joe can deliver defense-splitting passes. Essien and Obi Mikel, both dont know how to pass. I do not want to see them in chelsea next season, especially Mikel who has developed some sort of affinity with redcards. Why cant we have someone like Flamini as our defensive midfielder who can deliver passes better than our midfielders can do. If we want Chelsea to play a more attacking style then a lot of players will have to be shown the door, prominent among them will be Lampard, Mikel, Essien and Drogba. What we need is someone like Diego Capel on the left flank and Navas on the right or Alves.

"it". Very hard thing to define, "it". Hard to explain.

Some managers have "it". Jose did. Ruud G did. Fergie does. John Neal did. Ranieri didn't. Ian Porterfield most definately didn't. Capello has had "it" for a long time but now he has the England job he may find the "it" disappears very quickly.

Robbie Keane bawling his eyes out on the Wembley turf yesterday, (and I thought Pikeys were supposed to be tough icon_rolleyes.gif ), was asked this:

"What has Ramos given the Tottenham players?"

Robbie Side-netting replied:

"belief. Self-belief".

And that is what managers who have "it" can do. They instill a mental attitude. An edge. They give fans and, much more importantly, players that self-belief. And make no mistake, having a manager with the "it" factor also scares the sh*t out of opposing fans and players. They know they are winners. It's not "we might, or we could". It's "we will". We will triumph. We will be winners. And more often than not, they are. Managers who have "it" have players believing they have won before they even step onto the pitch. And those players will run through brick walls for a manager who has "it".

I'm not as down on Avram as a great many on here. Even after yesterday, which was undoubtedly one of the worst days of my Chelsea supporting life. But I'm now 100% certain Avram doesn't have "it". And for those who think he has. Well my friends, you can make excuses and spin it how you want, please feel free to continue. But the cold fact is he has had four geniunely BIG games since he took over. Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool and yesterday. And.......................................... he hasn't won a single one. And, trust me, the players have spotted "it".

Guest Brian M
the last time i can remember us playing the right way was when duff and robben were operating on either flank, however i much preferred joses dull WINNING style to grants .

dito.gif

Just, i have a question.

Where was Ramos's "it" when Grant's Chelsea beat his Tottenham in the league six weeks ago?

Difference in the quality of their playing personnel has something to do with it. Five different players in their line-up for the final. Two of them signed by him in the transfer window.

Personally, I'm not convinced Ramos has the "it" factor despite his record in La Liga. However, the Sperts players and fans believe he has. Their squad has nowhere near the depth ours has and if you go through the starting line-ups and subs from Sunday ours is miles stronger. However, that counted for nothing. The y*ds were the better side from first to final whistle.

Guest Brian M
Personally, I'm not convinced Ramos has the "it" factor despite his record in La Liga.

I think his record speaks for itself, Just. Certainly where cup competitions are concerned. No reason to be myopic about the guy just because he manages Sp*rs. Personally I feel he may be their Jose (a scary thought). But, whether he's got 'it' or not, there's one thing that's for sure. Grant doesn't have 'it'. And probably wouldn't recognise 'it' if it was handed to him on a Challah plate and served up Friday tea-time.

I think you're right about the "it" factor Just.

That special something is difficult to encapsulate in words but you know what "it" is. A bit like trying to have to explain why some people have charisma and some don't. You can't really say but its just there visable for all to see.

Ramos has "it" I believe, - his record to date in Spain I think shows that and what he's done so far with the Spurs players despite the uneven results.

Fergie has it.

Wenger has it.

Jose has it.

Ranieri didn't.

Grant? I should say "jury still out" but I've never really believed he's had it.

What made me stop in my tracks after the cup final was when they were interviewing the Spurs players after the game and they started raving about Ramos and what he had given them - as you said - SELF BELIEF.

Okay so they had just won a trophy in God only knows how long, they were happy people would say of course they praised the manager.

But they had that same, wide eyed, fervour of a disciple that's just discovered a new God who will take them on the path to true enlightenment in the way of trophies and even greater fame and fortune.

They had discovered Ramos and they reacted and talked exactly the same way that Chelsea players spoke about Mourinho when he first arrived.

The players really liked Ranieri just as most of the Spurs players liked Jol but Ramos has that indefinable "it" factor and the players saw that straight away, I'm willing to bet under his leadership he will take them to a whole new level.

Just like Mourinho did with the Chelsea team and Terry, Lampard et al when he arrived. He gave them conviction in themselves and their ability to be better, stronger and want to be the best and to treat losing as if it was akin to having to move in with your mother in law on a permanent basis - an idea too awful to contemplate.

I've been listening to the players over the last 5 months or so since Grant arrived and not once have I heard them say a word that even comes close to what they said about Mourinho - different personalities I know but if Grant had the same "it" factor about him even under all that dourness and dullness the players would be shouting it from the rooftops just like the Spurs players did with Ramos the other day. Ramos is no Mourinho in the charisma stakes and he doesn't even speak much English but even I can see the changes he has brought to Spurs and their mental attitude already.

However, the Chelsea players haven't said much which has made me think "wow these guys really rate this coach", not one, it's been polite, it's been "we're behind the manager", "he's calm", "he's a nice guy" sort of banalities and PR guff style interviews but nothing that telling.

May be he does have the "it" factor and I'm certainly willing him to prove me hopelessly wrong and that I'm reading far too much into superficial stuff.

I'll be happy to be surprised but somehow I don't think I'm going to be, if Grant can't get the players raving about him 5 months and X number of wins later then frankly when will he do it?

I don't believe Grant gives them that critical level of conviction you need to go the extra 9 yards in a cup final say, he's a steady, good safe pair of hands but nothing more.