Avram hates goal difference

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

in an interview, grants said he would like a play off to decide the winners of the prem rahter than have it decided by goal difference. and i sort of agree. i dislike goal difference, as it can come down to a ridiculous game where a team batters another 7 or 8 nil. i quite like the spanish way of going on games between the teams (unfortunately this year it would mean utd win still). anyone think of any better way of deciding it?

Chelsea manager Avram Grant feels that the Premier League title should be decided with a play-off, rather than on goal difference.

The Blues head into the final day of the season level on points with leaders Manchester United, who boast a superior goal difference.

United's advantage means Grant's side must better its rivals' result at Wigan Athletic on Sunday if they are to lift the League crown.

The Israeli, however, is of the belief that England should adopt Italy's system where any title, relegation or European qualifying issues are decided by a play-off match if team finish level on points.

Style

Grant said: "We've won games 6-0, 6-1, 4-0 and 3-0 this season. When you miss so many players, the first target is to win games, especially in the beginning.

"I must admit that United have played very good football. They think this is the best season since Sir Alex Ferguson came.

"But I prefer the system in Italy. You play a play-off if you're level and it is decided on that.

"I have interest now to say that. But I like it anyway. Sometimes, you score more goals against weaker teams. If you have the same points, you are at the same level.

Change

"You can't push a button and change things immediately. We've won many games playing attractive football. We can change it with the players we have here.

"Alex said a few months ago it was the best Manchester United side since he's been coaching. We've given a battle.

"If they take the title, and I'm not sure they will, it will be on goal difference."

SOURCE

in an interview, grants said he would like a play off to decide the winners of the prem rahter than have it decided by goal difference. and i sort of agree. i dislike goal difference, as it can come down to a ridiculous game where a team batters another 7 or 8 nil. i quite like the spanish way of going on games between the teams (unfortunately this year it would mean utd win still). anyone think of any better way of deciding it?

avram an fergie should go on harry hill and Fiiiiiiighhht ChElSea2.gif

The better way is the way it is.........what you do over the season.....there isnt any other way it should be done IMHO

I like the goal difference rule as it encourages teams to play attacking football. In fact, I would like to see them go further and come out with a rule that for every +10 goal difference you get an extra point or something.

Yes something like that might leave us worse off in the short term, but its our responsibility as a club to adjust our tactics and playing style to take maximum advantage of whatever rules are in place rather than whinge and whine about the rules which apply equally to everyone.

I like the goal difference rule as it encourages teams to play attacking football. In fact, I would like to see them go further and come out with a rule that for every +10 goal difference you get an extra point or something.

bah- the way the league now is better than any other solution- it's completely a pure and undiluted competition in terms of rules. goal difference with no play off and not determining the title on head to head is the best possible format IMO.

if you want to offer an incentive for attacking football, why not free candy?

besides, one of the great things about football is the variety. I like that teams play differently.

I would prefer most goals scored rather than goal difference though either way would be a fair reflection of the attacking flair over the course of a season.

Having said that I'd be VERY interested to see the Harry Hill way of sorting it out so go on FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!