Xbox - 3 Rings of Death

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

My son's Xbox 360 has finally succumbed to the '3 red rings of death' after about 2.5 years of play. Leaving aside how bloody annoying this is, we don't want to switch to another platform since we've got loads of games for the Xbox.

I've checked out loads of youtube clips on how to repair the thing but doubt that the electronics expertise in our household is advanced enough to do a self repair.

So my questions are as follows:

1. What is the simplest and most effective self-repair solution (which doesn't involve towels and blankets)

2. How do you actually contact Microsoft to get them to repair it?

3. Does a Microsoft repair actually work in the long term?

4. Have Microsft addressed this over-heating prob in Xbox 360's on sale today?

5. Are there any non-Micosoft repairers in the London area and how much do they cost?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Mike

I have a question for you. Did you fill out the form that gives you a 3 year warranty on it? Then you can send it off to them and they'll fix it for free!!

2) It should say in your Manual somewhere what to do if it breaks down.

3) Yes, my friend had his sent off about a year and a half ago and it's still working today (Y)

4) Yes, they're on the so-called "second batch" which has fixed the problems the "first batch" had. I have a "second batch" Xbox.

I can't answer 1 and 5 cause I have absolutely no clue sorry.

I have a question for you. Did you fill out the form that gives you a 3 year warranty on it? Then you can send it off to them and they'll fix it for free!!

2) It should say in your Manual somewhere what to do if it breaks down.

3) Yes, my friend had his sent off about a year and a half ago and it's still working today (Y)

4) Yes, they're on the so-called "second batch" which has fixed the problems the "first batch" had. I have a "second batch" Xbox.

I can't answer 1 and 5 cause I have absolutely no clue sorry.

you dont need to fill out the form, as long as its less than 3 years old you automatically qualify for a repair. phone this number 0800 587 1102 and they will tell you exactly what to do and you will get a free repair. mine went bang a few months ago and i had it back within 2 weeks.

Mike

I've had two repaired with the same problem...I contacted them through this page: http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/support/contact/

They emailed me a UPS label to print out and stick on the packed up console...they arranged for UPS to pick it up from me and then deliver it back (both within ten days) both are still working a year later.

hope this helps.

Been there mate, mine was broken to. What I did was ring the number dkw said and ask them to either e-mail or post you the ups label. Pack your xbox up and send it on its way. My elite had it and they brought it back within the week! Been working since. Touch wood.

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

I have suffered the three rings of death twice over the space of about 3 years, and i cannot understand how crap these things are when it comes to lasting you, when you fork out so much money on them?

Anyway, first time i was covered by my warranty, and complained so that i got a free game out of them.

Second time it happened, it occurred JUST outside of my warranty. (Even though i managed to agree a six month extension with them previous).

Luckily i had all the details of the previous manager i spoke to, and when they put it to me that i would have to pay an £80 ''shipping'' fee to have it fixed again, i put it to them that i would speak to their manager about it....

I was put on hold for 10 seconds, only to be told that they had spoke to their ''shipping department'' and managed to waive the cost altogether..

Devious bar stewards, they are.

As i say, i cant believe that such a massive product/corporation, could have such a widespread problem on its hands?

Luckily, i've had this 3rd one for about 5/6 months, and have had no issues whatsoever. Touch wood.

It was initially the problem, with the version generation of consoles, and some of the second generation. I've had no issues whatsoever with my 360 and had it for a year now. No slowdowns, no crashes and the whole thing seems to be working perfectly. I think what it was, is pretty much Microsoft rushing out a product to cut the legs of the competition. I believe they should have waited a few more months, fixed the issue and also developed more release games (which is still a big problem for the PS3).