The fall and fall of Freddy Adu

dkw

Apparently the one time next best player the world has ever seen Freddy Adu has been dropped by Portugese team Belenenses. thats some fall from grace for the fella, and as its a world cup year i wonder if we will see him in an english team soon. i remember the hype over him as a 14 yeard old, so was it too much hype? was it because he was a yank making an impact? or is he just sh*t.

i remember the hype over him as a 14 yeard old, so was it too much hype? was it because he was a yank making an impact? or is he just sh*t.

It was a bit over the top at the time, but I did see him play in the 2003 U-17 World Championships here in Finland and he was clearly one of the players of the tournament along with Fabregas, even if he was playing against players that were about 2-3 years older than him at an age when 2-3 years of development is a HUGE thing. I think why he hasn't quite made the impact people thought he would have is partially because he may bot have been able to cope with the expectations and partially because he hasn't able to bully his opponents like he did in the youth games where the other players were more light weight.

It was a bit over the top at the time, but I did see him play in the 2003 U-17 World Championships here in Finland and he was clearly one of the players of the tournament along with Fabregas, even if he was playing against players that were about 2-3 years older than him at an age when 2-3 years of development is a HUGE thing. I think why he hasn't quite made the impact people thought he would have is partially because he may bot have been able to cope with the expectations and partially because he hasn't able to bully his opponents like he did in the youth games where the other players were more light weight.

Perhaps he's lost a bit of hunger after owning a Porsche/Ferrari years before he was old enough to drive one. Huge expectations were put upon young shoulders, a sponsership deal with Nike, eager to sign up the next best thing in US/world football. He was never going to live up the the billing was he.........even Tiger Woods has struggled!

He was never going to live up the the billing was he

No, but to be fair, I don't think many people expected him to actually do it. He would have had to singlehandedly win the World Cup, find the cure for cancer, solve the financial crisis and stop the global warming to even begin to live up to the hype. He was a very promising youth player, but no one knows how it goes with the youngsters. Raw natural talent can only take you so far in modern football. You need to work hard as well.

Definitely a case of overhyped expectations (despite his talent) and as bluenut says, perhaps a bit of believing his own hype. Being in a soda commercial with Pele, when you are a teenager who hasnt really achieved anything probably doesnt help.

I remember national media outlets, who couldnt give a toss about footy before, were suddenly interested in this kid because it looked like he might be the next big thing and would play for America. It just goes to show that you never really can project how a player is going to wind up, and it takes very specific conditions for real success.

I remember in his MLS days he said he was a Chelsea fan and wanted to play for us some day. Then he wound up training at Man Utd in 2007, I believe. I wonder what he must be thinking after all that possibility has come to this.

Living in DC, I am well aware of the fall and fall of Freddy Adu. He was sh*t for DC United, and never improved one iota. He was never motivated to train, and is a big partier, according to the rumours. Also, he is a totally one-footed (left) player. I do not wish him well, since he was a cancer at DC United, and probably so at the other teams that he has gone to.

He ended up signing for Aris Thessaloniki in Greece, managed by none other than Hector Cuper.

I guess if offered the choice between playing for a former top manager in the Aegean sun, or going to lovely Hull and playing for crooner and outstanding public servant Phil Golden Brown the choice is pretty clear

Archived