Mozart + Matt Le Tissier

Slow, overweight, lumbering and pure bloody magic!

If he had been foreign he'd have been hailed as one of the best players to ever grace the English league. Am I right in thinking he was never capped at full International? I remember him playing a B international and being the best player on the park by a mile, I think he scored 2 that night and was then left out of the next full squad?

Slow, overweight, lumbering and pure bloody magic!

If he had been foreign he'd have been hailed as one of the best players to ever grace the English league. Am I right in thinking he was never capped at full International? I remember him playing a B international and being the best player on the park by a mile, I think he scored 2 that night and was then left out of the next full squad?

According to Wikipedia:

Electing to play for England, he earned eight caps over three years, but failed to score at international level.

In the run up to 1998 FIFA World Cup, he scored a hat-trick in a game for England B; despite this, he was controversially overlooked by manager Glenn Hoddle for the final squad, a decision that the player himself cited as a hiatus in his career after which his form never fully recovered.

And you're right he was pure bloody magic. I liked the way he was so nonchalant about so many of those brilliant goals, it was just totally natural to him.

He really was a hell of a player wasnt he, grossly underused by our national managers as were many players of his ilk. We were happier with players like Peter Reid in our national side, jesus.

He really was a hell of a player wasnt he, grossly underused by our national managers as were many players of his ilk. We were happier with players like Peter Reid in our national side, jesus.

Surely Geoff Thomas deserves a mention in this company too.