Atmosphere at the bridge

Carefree94

I have been going to chelsea for a while and the atmosphere has gotten worse unfortunately in the east stand. Mathew harding are still pretty loud, shed end are good also. I know that the east stand is the family stand but there is so little noise. Its a real shame.

Opinions on atmosphere at the bridge...?

To be honest, you could swap the word Bridge for almost any other top flight stadium in England. Sitting down, over exuberant stewarding, ridiculous Health and safety rules, modern stadium design. All have contributed to ruining the atmosphere at all but the biggest of games.

Yeh its true. Although barca and real have decent atmospheres

and twice the capacity of the bridge

Although i dont disagree. When we go away we create a much better atmosphere but again that would be true of most clubs fans.

Edited by Alex

A lot of that is down to people making pilgrimage to the Bridge to see their team. They want to go to the home of their "favourite" club. Whether that's from Scandinavia, Asia, Eastern Europe, the US. Therefore, you have a large amount of people in the stands that probably don't know any songs, or are afraid to join in incase they are wrong.

This is also why away support is better, and why you'll always hear the away fans at most grounds singing "your support is f**king sh*t"

er...Carefree sorry mate - real & barca home match atmosphere is awful - its a social event, apart from few thosand behind the gaol everyone else chats - unless they play each other

yes our ground not as good as it was but I remember when the old east stand was there, like a graveyard (ironically), west stand decent then, and shed was the shed

now MH is always decent, shed upper too but both east/west stands full of foreign visitors, older or richer fans - so unless its a big game, its not the noisiest

AWAY - thats very decent...............always - even when we are losing - like at stoke, wolves, birmingham, mancc, everton etc

I live overseas at the moment and let my ST go - MH and the shed upper always make a noise, but the east and west are poor. Went to a couple of games on my last visit to blightly and sat in the east upper and west lower - nobody (including little old self conscious moi) were singing and only a few spoke english.

On another note, why don't we chuck the away supporters up the back few rows of the east stand? -that way we could have the shed and MH 100% blue (as they should be) and the away support up in the heavens out of harms way.

They used to have the away supporters in the east stand. Tbh I shud probably just try and move stands. They are a couple people next to me who are occasionally loud. I agree that real and barca dont have great atmospheres. For now I will have to be content with going to away matches to experience the atmosphere

to be honest, i know that people are afraid to join in in case they get the words wrong like some one said - even though i can say ive been going to the bridge once or twice a year since the late nineties, i still get nervous to sing anything other than chelsea or ten men just because some guy might look at you funny if you f**k it up..

its about feeling like you belong and if you cant go regularly you just dont wanna feel out of place by not knowing the words so you dont really go for it..

ppl who dont sing still usually stand up and shout or stomp their feet/clap to the songs or join in when the announcer goes "KALOOOUUUUUUUUUUU" or small things like that but on TV it doesnt really come across..

i think the away suuporters should be in the east stand as well....east upper ideally. Apparently it was mourinho who moved them to the shed as he didnt want them in the east lower behid the subs etc

Yeh its true. Although barca and real have decent atmospheres

Only when they play each other.

Madrid only average around 60,000 (20,000 short of capacity) when they play anyone but Barca or Atletico.

Our away support IMO is the best in the league and up there with the best in the country.

Not many could sell out just shy of of 4,000 on a Tuesday night in a game you have no realistic chance of winning and sing from start to finish and applaud players at the end.

United, Spurs and West Ham away were brilliant and I will probably just be going to away games next year.

Only when they play each other.

Madrid only average around 60,000 (20,000 short of capacity) when they play anyone but Barca or Atletico.

Our away support IMO is the best in the league and up there with the best in the country.

Not many could sell out just shy of of 4,000 on a Tuesday night in a game you have no realistic chance of winning and sing from start to finish and applaud players at the end.United, Spurs and West Ham away were brilliant and I will probably just be going to away games next year.

I think we have a realistic chance of beating anyone, or am I missing your point?

I think we have a realistic chance of beating anyone, or am I missing your point?

Sorry I think that was poorly phrased on my part. I just got the feeling that most of us and certainly myself thought after the 1st leg it was done and dusted.

I went to OT in hope, rather than expectation, we did well at Old Trafford and didn't deserve to lose, but it was the home leg that cost us.

I have no idea who have the best away support as I only do aways these days and rarely go to SB to be able to judge. I guess regulars at SB can answer that. As for atmosphere DKW said what most think"To be honest, you could swap the word Bridge for almost any other top flight stadium in England. Sitting down, over exuberant stewarding, ridiculous Health and safety rules, modern stadium design. All have contributed to ruining the atmosphere at all but the biggest of games. "

I would put sitting down at the top of the list. I hope, before I die, to see terracing back.

I would also add prices have put off the more vocal supporter.

Edited by shedhead

tv sound is doctored in favour of those teams whose fans sing 'clean' songs - so spurs & stoke always noisy cos the fuzzy mikes are full on - although too be honest they are quite noisy

our fans have too many songs wiv swearin em so the mikes are off or toned down - often away fans at SB sound noisy but when we are whl not so

thats my theory anyway