Do you remember ........

Mike Carefree

Do you remember , what now , seems ridiculously low , (in retrospect) the costs for going to the Bridge in late 60s...Mine were thus.....A) Return train fare from Holborn...10 old pennies

B) Entrance fee...............................Half a crown

C) Programme..................................Sixpence

I know everything was relative. I think my DADS wage was about 22 pounds a week..Great days

Pretty sure I've posted something similar before, but it's on topic so here goes.

For my first season going to the Bridge in 71/2 my matchday travel used to involve walking to Morden, 93 bus to Putney Bridge 3p fare, walk up Fulham Road to the ground. 5p for a programme,15p to get in and 5p for a bag of chips on the way home, total cost for a cheap day out 31p out of 50p pocket money. On flush days it would be done by getting a 118 or M1 bus to Morden for 2p, 2p on the 93 to Wimbledon then a 10p return ticket on the tube. Bit of a contrast to my only home game last season when the total for me and my mrs including tickets was almost £200, wonder why I don't go much anymore?

You sad old gits!

Can't remember how much it cost when I started going - dad used to pay so I didn't really care. He also drove up there so I don't know what public transport cost, I do remember though that programmes were £1.20 in my early days. And yes, passing youngsters over the turnstyles was fair game. Though Bates would have had a fit when he took over!

My first couple of years, it was £1 for a 'Capital card' which included bus,trains & tubes for the whole day and I'm sure it was £1/£2 as a Junior blue to stand on the shed, I know I could do the whole day out for about £5:00.

The last game I went to was Napoli at home, Tickets for me and my brother was about £120, train was about £15.00 beers was another £20.00 as MK says I wonder why I don't go so regularly now!

I first started going to Chelsea on my own in the 1968/69 season at the age of 11, so...

bus from Mitcham to Wandsworth Bridge - not sure how much, but it was probably about sixpence. Walk across Wandsworth Bridge and use the old floodlights to direct me towards the stadium. Shilling for a programme, and about two and six to get in the ground. Came home the same way, so total cost was about four shillings and sixpence (approx 22.5 pence).

Never had a penny to my name when I started going so the cost of travel and entrance was of no concern to me. Dodged on and off public transport to get to the Bridge and snuck into the ground whenever I could. I only ever got my hands on a match day program if I found one on the floor which wasn’t that often. My abiding memory of those early days supporting the Blues were one of being cold and hungry mostly and not how much anything cost. Would like to be able to say that they were happy days but they were far from that.

Archived