bbc commentry

BLUENUT

Went along the lines of....

'' Stamford bridge is usually a sell out nowdays, however it never used to always be like that. The year the premiership began Chelsea drew a crowd of ONLY 13k in a league against ********. So when all those Chelsea fans who say they've always follwed them, they're not necessarily telling the truth!!''

Newcastle's 'toon army', the passionate Geordie following blah blah blah never get subjected to this, even when their crowds were depleted.

No matter how well we played and how poor Forest were in the 1st half, the commentators were unprofessional at HT while mocking the Forest players and performance. It was scoolboyish.

Also Ian Wright tipping his son's side to get knocked out was poor.....matched by the look on his face during the break when he knew there was no way back for 'em.

We were shown live so that everyone in the country could boo the blues over their Sunday roast's and hopefully choke on a cup upset, alas it wasn't to be.

After saying that, an FA cup upset is more and more unlikely due to the power swing in todays football climate. Clubs in the ilk of Charlton or West Ham are likely to lose to lower opposition based on their premiership survival is more important to them.

However I stilled enoyed ribbing my West Ham mate when the results came in.

'' Stamford bridge is usually a sell out nowdays, however it never used to always be like that. The year the premiership began Chelsea drew a crowd of ONLY 13k in a league against ********.

To be fair, this is a fact. It was Coventry I remember, i was there. We had Clive Allen and Andy Townsend sent off and lost 1-0. I think we had a crowd of 7000 for a Zenith Data Systems (or whatever it was in 1992) game against Southampton too. I remember a few days later we had Sheff Utd in the Cup and there was 32000 there!

So when all those Chelsea fans who say they've always follwed them, they're not necessarily telling the truth!!''

Sadly - another fact.

Newcastle's 'toon army', the passionate Geordie following blah blah blah never get subjected to this, even when their crowds were depleted.

Actually in that funny Birmingham game last week i thought they bought up all those empty seats quite a few times. But they are still 'the most passionate' fans in the land of course (ive always thought this was based on the amount of replica tops they wear)

No matter how well we played and how poor Forest were in the 1st half, the commentators were unprofessional at HT while mocking the Forest players and performance. It was scoolboyish.

The only positive thing I can say about the BBCS coverage these days is that Peter Schimecal is no longer on it. Their coverage of the World Cup was a shambles. I almost emailed in to complain about Mark Lawreson after one game where he spent the whole 90 mins making fat jokes about Ronaldo. The same Ronaldo who became the top scorer in World Cup history.

Also Ian Wright tipping his son's side to get knocked out was poor.....matched by the look on his face during the break when he knew there was no way back for 'em.

He is, quite simply a total muppet.

Bluenut has a point about all the sniping, though. A few years back Arsenal were getting gates of 17,000, but no one mentions that. The so-called "best fans in the world" have also had a few none-too-impressive turnouts over the years, but no one mentions that, either.

The fact is that all clubs have glory hunters. Macclesfield took 6000 fans to the Bridge yet have an average gate of about half that. Where did all those extra fans come from? Put Liverpool, Arsenal et al in the Third Division with no money and no decent players and see how many fans they get each week.

Nope, spot on.

But we cannot pretend we dont have a few!

Just who are the ?pretenders? nowadays? Chelsea fans have become the realists - we know what to expect from the Media - and the messengers are the ones who are pretending all the time. It took the commentators nearly forty five minutes to grudgingly admit our opening goal was Sheva?s and not something to be set before the dubious fools committee. One example of outrageous pretence amongst many since we, as a team, stopped practising it and started getting up their noses instead by winning everything.

BBC News 24 began their sports report last night by describing Sheva?s goal as lucky and poking fun [when he was tackled late on] of a world class player. Why? Because they were, as BLUENUT said, still acting like schoolboys, even that late in the day.

like I said elsewhere, where do you take the attendence figures to mean something...yes we had small attendences in the past, we also had 82,000 against arsenal in the 1920's...surely it represents our fluctuating fortunes rather than a club of no history with no support as they'd like to make out...yes we have johnny come latelys, every club has, but we also have those who have been there throughout and maybe are entitled to see their team challenge for honours!!!!!

(ive always thought this was based on the amount of replica tops they wear)

Sorry if I read this wrong bjd,as you are a man in the know.

Do you mean the more Replica shirts,the better the support?

Cos I hven't brought a replica shirt since the Yellow and Blue (2000-02) Shirt,and I never wear it.

I dont think many of our MH Stand & away support wear any colours.

Cheers

Rob

Cos I hven't brought a replica shirt since the Yellow and Blue (2000-02) Shirt,and I never wear it.

Cheers

Rob

Glory i think every single Chelsea fan should have a Chelsea shirt, MHL or not!

When Chelsea go to the Carling cup finals, the away Champions League games or any game for that matter it aint about looking smart and all that old Bollox!! It's about being Chelsea and Blue!!

Let people know who we are! Fly the flag!

UP THE CHELS!!

The commentary always sucks no matter what channel it is. The swedish ones is just as bad though I have to admit that I was a bit surprised over how kind Hys?n (old Liverpool player) was. He didn't complain about Lampard and he called Essien a world class player (several times even).

And there wasn't much of that "Chelski with their oil money" and such.

But he and the other commentator complain that Chelsea didn't try and score more goals after we were 3-0 up. Apparently the right thing to do when you're 3 goals up playing on a sunday with a game on wednesday is to use every last bit of energy to get a big win. I mean, who cares about the game a few days later?

The other commentator (can't remember his name and I guess you wouldn't now him anyway) was more of an idiot. He didn't seem to know one thing about Chelsea. First of all he kept pronounce the names of the players wrong. Geremi became Jeeremi and Cech sounded like he had something stuck in his throat. Lampard was Lampaaard or something.

They weren't as bad as usual but they're still complete w**k2.gif

I've supported Chelsea ll my life but don't buy into the fact that you need a replica shirt to be a true fan. I had loads as a kid and hardly took them off. Show your clolurs by all accounts, hat, scarf etc, but laying out ?30 odd quid every year for a shirt you only wear when you watch Chelsea goes no way to showing how loyal you are.

I've got the new Chelsea shirt so I'm a proper fan now, I don't go for that. I do have a few replicas, the most recent being the Autoglass one we wore against Villa in the final, but the shirt I wear for all finals and some home games is modelled by Mr Osgood below:

peter_osgood_11.jpg

A timeless classic!

In that photograph im wearing an old top.

But im not into colours......

1/Because you cant have a drink in a load of places with colours on.

2/Because the material is poor qaulity but expensive.

3/Because the new badge is a simplified mockery of the old crest.

4/Because it makes me sweat!! icon_redface.gif

5/Makes me look fat

6/IF you have shared a tube/a pavement/a stand with me and you still haven't figured out im Chelsea,then there's something wrong!

Wearing a shirt dont mean much to me,you cant buy and sell your support for your club.....its just who you are.

Its my preference.......I would rather the EAST/SHED/WEST got behind the team,than wearing a blue shirt that is dominated by a sponsor's name.

I just wear a Nice jacket,Jeans,Trainers,a badge,(an 8ft foot flag),and a big old grin!! icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

Hello........ Hello

Loud and Proud you scarf waving muppet!!!

"Croydon's finest"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif::Scalf::

Cheers

Rob

I basically meant that i think a lot of people (ie SKY) consistently claim Newcastle have the best fans in the land but yet pretty much base this assumption on the fact that they wear more replica shirts than other fans and that they sing louder. Which of course is rubbish.

Sorry if it didnt come across clearly.

I never buy replica shirts, but have a 1970 vintage thing.

I don't buy into the whole idea that you have to ahve a replica shirt every time one comes out to prove that you are a fan either, but I am for showing your colours. If that is a scarf or a flag, then that is just as good asa top[.

I get what BJD is getting at too, that seeing as St Jams park has the most tops in the stands, then, according to sky, they must be passionate!

I don't buy into the whole idea that you have to ahve a replica shirt every time one comes out to prove that you are a fan either, but I am for showing your colours. If that is a scarf or a flag, then that is just as good asa top[.

I get what BJD is getting at too, that seeing as St Jams park has the most tops in the stands, then, according to sky, they must be passionate!

Very true!!

The thing with Newcastle is their shirt is a classic kit, by that I mean it's traditional black and white stripes and never changes. Perhaps the width of the stripes or the colour of the trim, or even the sponser have changed over the pas few years. But put someone in the stand with a 5 or even 10 year old shirt on and I bet even a geordie would have difficulty picking out the bloke in the 'old' shirt, cos they all look the same in their B+W stripes.

I hear they were thinking of changing the stripes while Bowyer and Woodgate were there!

Convict.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Its hard to compare fans for the many reasons said on here, Newcastle pre Keegan used to get about 10k to an home game. Obviously representing their position in the old Div2 and the state of St James's park. Just like when we were in the old Div2 and the Bridge was a disgrace could get 15k one game and 35k the next.

I think the point is we have always attracted big crowds, if you look at the all time average attendences of all clubs we are very well placed, then take into account our success or lack of it, except for the last 10yrs. Also the state our ground was in, and the fact our attendences have been restricted for many of though's years and i think we more than hold our own.

But the media would never tell you that.

I do have the new shirt, because i really liked it. As a kid i always had the new kit, but i dont feel the need now.

Archived