Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beerqueen

Convert DVD to MP4 for tablet

Hi again all you very clever people.  I need your help again please.  I have ripped a number of dvds to my laptop and they are all currently stored as .VOB files.  I would like to transfer some to my android tablet (I have two, one a Samsung and one a Cyclone).  

I know I have managed to do this before but I can't for the life of me remember how I did it - probably with a limited time software download.  

I have tried googling but keep coming up against software that seems to be free but after installing, says it will only do some of the film before having to pay for the software or it will have a watermark across it.  

Could anyone point me in the right direction please?  I just seem to be going round and round in circles.  (and please be warned that although I'm not bad at technology I do not speak the language well - I usually just succeed by trial and error, so please keep any explanations very simple!)

Thank you.

I haven't tried this one, but it sounds good, and it's free:

All Free DVD to MP4 Converter

Alternatively, and very possibly a better option:

Freemake Video Converter

But if you do install Freemake, be careful - choose Advanced Options and deselect any "optional" extras which include a toolbar that you definitely do NOT want, and something called Outfox.tv.

The same may well apply to the All Free program.  If you decide on Freemake, you'll find more instructions here:

How to rip your DVD collection for free

Why don't we flip this around

You could install an app on your tablet that could play a .vob file?

I usually use BS player but I do not know if it would play that certain file (It does play a wide range of files with great success)

But I'm pretty sure there will be apps available that will do the job

I haven't tried this one, but it sounds good, and it's free:

All Free DVD to MP4 Converter

Alternatively, and very possibly a better option:

Freemake Video Converter

But if you do install Freemake, be careful - choose Advanced Options and deselect any "optional" extras which include a toolbar that you definitely do NOT want, and something called Outfox.tv.

The same may well apply to the All Free program.  If you decide on Freemake, you'll find more instructions here:

How to rip your DVD collection for free

Thanks BF - am trying this now and yes, I did make sure not to install a new browser etc at the same time!  I clicked on all the decline but it still managed to install a search thing which I've now uninstalled.  It didn't seem to want to convert my vob files but seems to be chuntering away to convert a dvd to mp4 at the moment.  So thanks for that, I will report back.

Why don't we flip this around

You could install an app on your tablet that could play a .vob file?

I usually use BS player but I do not know if it would play that certain file (It does play a wide range of files with great success)

But I'm pretty sure there will be apps available that will do the job

Ooh clever!  I hadn't thought of that.  Thanks will try that too!

Whenever I need to transcode video I use Handbrake, which is open source and completely free, I don't know for sure if it supports VOB but I'd be very surprised if it doesn't.  I think Sezze786's idea would be easiest if you can find a VOB player, although I suspect that the VOB files would quickly eat up space on your tablets.

Thanks.  I only want a few on there at a time - just for when I'm travelling.  I've managed to convert a DVD to MP4 using the All Free softward BF linked to.  But it took 3 hours!  And I still can't get the All Free to acknowledge the vob files.  I've looked at these again and they're in jZip archive folders, have a .vob extension and say type is AceStream  Does this mean anything to anyone cos it means bugger all to me!

My new problem is that my laptop isn't finding the SD card in my tablet!  Bloody technology!

Seems to me like you've been streaming too much Football (Wiziwig) judging from AceStream

(Damn these cookies)

Was your laptop picking up your SD card before the transfers?

Also do you use Kies to read the SD card or do you actually place the SD card into an adaptor then into the laptop?

Seems to me like you've been streaming too much Football (Wiziwig) judging from AceStream

(Damn these cookies)

Was your laptop picking up your SD card before the transfers?

Also do you use Kies to read the SD card or do you actually place the SD card into an adaptor then into the laptop?

Guilty as charged!  

It was a new SD card which I had only put in once to format it and (unsuccessfully) try to put films on before. I connected the tablet to the laptop and that didn't work.  So I tried it in an adaptor.  Still didn't work.  Tried a different adaptor.  It has recognised it though I had to reformat it.  I am now trying to copy some of the .vob files to it, which it is doing at the moment. Or I hope it it!  3 minutes remaining.

The film I converted to MP4 works so at least I have one film on there.  But if this copying the vob file works, that'll be so much quicker.

Thanks for your help.  I will let you know what happens. 

First off, if the files are stored in zipped, i..e compressed folders, then it could help if you were to uncompress them first.

To be honest, I couldn't remember the name of "Freemake" which is why I linked to the one I'd never tried. When I finally did remember, I went back to edit, but that time it was too late.

When you say .VOBs, do you mean just the VOBs or the entire DVD inlcluding .IFO? Reason I ask this is that VOBs are just MPEG (MP2) files so if it's just the VOBs, then you might be able to get away with changing the extension to MPG or MPEG. No guarantee that it'll work, it depends entirely on your software player.

I've found a ffew suggestions for VOB players, including

RockPlayer Lite

Wondershare Player

MX Player

With the above you may or may not need to change the extension, that I can't tell you. Or whether they'll play the entire DVD (once copied) including menu system. Try 'em and see!

I think it's worked!!  So now I've got two ways of doing it - the films I've already got on my laptop I can do quickly using the app that I was pointed towards by Sezze and the ones I've got on DVD I can do by using the software BF pointed me to!  So thanks both of you - it saved me finding loads of software that said it was free until I tried to use it.

And 3 hours conversion wouldn't always be a problem but my power lead to my laptop is playing up and keeps disconnecting so I have to keep any eye on it - I had visions of my laptop running out just before it had finished converting the film!

Thank you so much both of you - I owe you both a drink!

First off, if the files are stored in zipped, i..e compressed folders, then it could help if you were to uncompress them first.

When you say .VOBs, do you mean just the VOBs or the entire DVD inlcluding .IFO? Reason I ask this is that VOBs are just MPEG (MP2) files so if it's just the VOBs, then you might be able to get away with changing the extension to MPG or MPEG. No guarantee that it'll work, it depends entirely on your software player.

Firstly, no idea how to uncompress them!

Secondly, the folders contain ifo files as well as the vob but I said vob because that's the bit I click to play it!  (I told you I don't understand what I'm doing!)  I've got something playing but will have to check whether I need to transfer all the vob bits to make sure I've got the whole film!

Firstly, no idea how to uncompress them!

Secondly, the folders contain ifo files as well as the vob but I said vob because that's the bit I click to play it!  (I told you I don't understand what I'm doing!)  I've got something playing but will have to check whether I need to transfer all the vob bits to make sure I've got the whole film!

.ifo are basically information files. If they're present then you've got the entire DVD. You generally got three or four large vobs that contain the actual movie, and smaller vobs that I think have something to do with the DVD structure.

As for uncompression, if you've got any kind of compression software installed, from WinZip to WInRAR to jzip to 7zip to Haozip (very good Chinese freebie) then you should be able to right-click/Uncompress to. The process should work faster with uncompressed data, if nothing else.

Also, some conversion programs seem to work better from an actual DVD rather than from data stored on the hard drive, so it might (and I did say might) be quicker and easier to burn the DVD to a DVD+W. But if it's working ok, then forget that one.

Oh and call me Lofty. Everyone else does used to. I did actually request a change of username not to long ago, but sadly my request wasn't acknowledged.

Funny that, huh.

Thanks. I only want a few on there at a time - just for when I'm travelling. I've managed to convert a DVD to MP4 using the All Free softward BF linked to. But it took 3 hours! And I still can't get the All Free to acknowledge the vob files. I've looked at these again and they're in jZip archive folders, have a .vob extension and say type is AceStream Does this mean anything to anyone cos it means bugger all to me!

My new problem is that my laptop isn't finding the SD card in my tablet! Bloody technology!

Three hours seems like a very long time to me, but if that's how long it takes to convert them then it would probably be a lot quicker and less of a hassle just to download them from the internet using bittorrent.

.ifo are basically information files. If they're present then you've got the entire DVD. You generally got three or four large vobs that contain the actual movie, and smaller vobs that I think have something to do with the DVD structure.

As for uncompression, if you've got any kind of compression software installed, from WinZip to WInRAR to jzip to 7zip to Haozip (very good Chinese freebie) then you should be able to right-click/Uncompress to. The process should work faster with uncompressed data, if nothing else.

Also, some conversion programs seem to work better from an actual DVD rather than from data stored on the hard drive, so it might (and I did say might) be quicker and easier to burn the DVD to a DVD+W. But if it's working ok, then forget that one.

Oh and call me Lofty. Everyone else does used to. I did actually request a change of username not to long ago, but sadly my request wasn't acknowledged.

Funny that, huh.

Thanks Lofty!  So I can just transfer the larger files then and leave the smaller vob files?  

Three hours seems like a very long time to me, but if that's how long it takes to convert them then it would probably be a lot quicker and less of a hassle just to download them from the internet using bittorrent.

I'll look into that - when my brain has recovered from doing it this way and I'm looking for a new challenge!  Thanks

Thanks Lofty!  So I can just transfer the larger files then and leave the smaller vob files?  

I'll look into that - when my brain has recovered from doing it this way and I'm looking for a new challenge!  Thanks

Probably. It depends whether you want to play just the movie, or if you want access to the DVD menu, which in turn depends on whichever software you install can play actual DVDs or just the MPG/VOBs. And then there's the matter of DVD extras to consider. If you're going to convert from DVD, then you can select "main movie only", otherwise you'll get the extras tagged on to the end. Probably.

But for the question of whether or not you need to copy all of the VOBs... it depends.Bearing in mind that VOBs are numbered sequentially, a smaller VOB at the end is more likely to be part of the actual movie (and/or extras) than a tiny one at the start. You can test which ones you need by clicking on them from the laptop. Basically, if it plays, then you need to copy it.

For video conversions from DVD to either my iPad or Android phone, I use Handbrake. I believe you can download a preset for .vob files and even has some preloaded presets for iPad, iPhone, Android tablet, etc. I've always gone straight from DVD to <whatever format> using Handbrake.

I've had it for years with no issues. I would check it out.

https://handbrake.fr/