Is The Transfer Window Open Or Not?

terraloon

I note that on the PL website the summer transfer window is shown as having opened on the 17th May. Also I note that they state the dates of the winter window are not yet known.

I also note that the changes voted on by the PL clubs to close the summer 2018 window were not agreed upon until the summer 2017 window had closed .

I now turn to two FIFA documents. 

The first deals with the transfer and status of players

I would draw your attention to article 6 section 2 

Based on the published information there is no way that the PL could have notified FIFA 12 months prior of the opening of the 2018 window of the changes and in particular the opening of the window on 17 May2018. To a degree the closing date is not relevant as it is in effect an agreement between the PL clubs to stop transfer dealings early

Indeed that is backed up by the second FIFA document where all transfer windows worldwide are published and as will clearly be seen FIFA are saying that the window doesn’t open In England until June 9 2018.

So to my simple questions. Is the window open or not and if so why do the dates differ to those recorded by FIFA?

2 minutes ago, the special one said:

As I understand it the market is open but for domestic transfers only (though we can still sign players from abroad I don't think the player registration is official until 9th June).

What about Fabinho?

1 minute ago, dansubrosa said:

What about Fabinho?

As I said above, Premier League clubs can still sign players from abroad the registration just doesn't come into effect until after 9th June. So in other words Liverpool have signed Fabinho, he just isn't "officially" a Liverpool player yet.

Newcastle have signed a goalkeeper, Wolves have signed a couple of players but the point I am trying to get over is FIFA stipulates when the window is open as regards registering players through FIFA that’s one thing but in terms of when a window opens and closes in England it doesn’t matter a jot from where that player is signed from

I think it is due to a requirement that there has to be a minimum of a 12 week window, so it was brought forward, not sure why fifa's doesn't match up. It's the 1st summer of the change so maybe it will change on their documentation next season.

It doesn't really matter when it opens though, since you can still do deals before anyway. 

2 hours ago, big blue said:

I think it is due to a requirement that there has to be a minimum of a 12 week window, so it was brought forward, not sure why fifa's doesn't match up. It's the 1st summer of the change so maybe it will change on their documentation next season.

It doesn't really matter when it opens though, since you can still do deals before anyway. 

If you read the rules there isnt any requirement for the window to be open for 12 weeks . The reference to 12 weeks is that is  the maximum time a window can be open.The FIFA list is updated by the relevant football nation so in the case of England it’s the FA who input the information not FIFA

As for it not mattering well there are examples in the past where clubs even with the FAs agreement have signed players and down the line FIFA and eventually CAS have ruled against the club.

It’s not quite the same circumstances but Lens thought they had signed Gael Kakuta on a binding contract , the French Football Federation supported Lens as did FIFA but when CAS became involved there take on it was that no binding contract was in place.

Does it matter ? Well yes it does after all the FA are quite happy to charge clubs when they dont follow the rules and in this it seems that the FA hasn’t paid due regard to the FIFA rules that dictate  when and how transfers can and can’t be undertaken

Clubs can sign players any time of the year they want. It's the registration of those players that has to fall within the transfer window from my understanding. So if Chelsea wanted to sign, say Seri, they don't have to wait until the window is open to begin talks with Bordeaux. They can actually start that process whenever they please and can reach agreements with player and club , but they can't register Seri as a new Chelsea member until the window opens which would be 9 June if the information you provided is correct.

5 hours ago, the special one said:

As I said above, Premier League clubs can still sign players from abroad the registration just doesn't come into effect until after 9th June. So in other words Liverpool have signed Fabinho, he just isn't "officially" a Liverpool player yet.

Ok, just got confused because I have seen pictures of Fabinho signing the contract in a Liverpool top

Archived