Hoping for a bit of advice from you more tech savvy folk.

A VPN, they seem to be being advertised everywhere at the moment. What are they, how do they benefit me, and is it worth investing money in each month?

Cheers,

Virtual Private Network, they hide your online activity from your ISP. They are best used for sites that are blocked, like a lot of streaming, video hosting and downloading sites. If you are going to be going on a lot of blocked websites, then subscribing to a VPN would make things easier.

There are free VPN's you can use, but they come with limitations, the main one being download speed.

I signed up for two years to Private Internet Access VPN. 

Cost me £50 and I am able to use it across 7 different devices.

Didn't need to by a VPN router or anything like that, for my Amazon Fire stick there was an app I could download to activate it on there using my username and password, same for mobile devices. 

I have been using IPVanish for 3 yrs now. No problems at all with the service, good speeds for Acestream etc. Have also used Private Internet Access, again worked well. 

Been using express vpn for quite a while, very easy service and app, though maybe a bit too expensive.