Chelsea Women - Everything Else!

In all honest there’s no justifiable reason why a women’s game in a different stadium would be moved because of a fixture clash with the men’s team.

It’s a simple choice though. Emma is a legend, the women’s team are the only senior team doing us proud of Chelsea fans so the men’s team can enjoy their touristy Tory crowd they like to attract now whilst we all give thanks and respect to someone who truly deserves it.

12 hours ago, Munkunku said:

In all honest there’s no justifiable reason why a women’s game in a different stadium would be moved because of a fixture clash with the men’s team.

It’s a simple choice though. Emma is a legend, the women’s team are the only senior team doing us proud of Chelsea fans so the men’s team can enjoy their touristy Tory crowd they like to attract now whilst we all give thanks and respect to someone who truly deserves it.

Fortunately no need to choose now as the women's game has been moved to 6.45pm on the 5th so quick pint after the game at the Bridge and then travel to Kingsmeadow. If I had had to choose would have been to see the women's team. 

I'll be in Sloane Square on Friday and hopefully the Chelsea banners etc will still be on display.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/article/read-all-about-it-historic-journey-of-chelsea-women-celebrated

To celebrate the historic journey of Chelsea Women and Emma Hayes’s final game in the Stamford Bridge dugout, which will be against Barcelona in the UEFA Women's Champions League, the Blues took over London's oldest family-run newsstand, Haines in Sloane Square.

Re-branded in the manager’s honour, 'Hayes at Haines' newsstand was emblazoned with Chelsea memorabilia and served as a symbol of the club's heritage and highlighted the Blues' unstoppable rise to the top of the women’s game under Hayes's stewardship.

Through engaging with fans in the heart of London, Chelsea hoped to inspire a new generation of supporters and cement their place in footballing folklore.

Maren Mjelde, who joined the Blues in 2016, engaged with the community and handed out exclusive giveaways ahead of the UEFA Women's Champions League semi-final second leg against Barcelona, which takes place at 5.30pm on Saturday 27 April.

'I’ve really enjoyed meeting fans and soaking up some of the excitement around our Barcelona game,' said the Norway international. 'It will be a tough first leg in Barcelona this weekend, and we will have to be at our best, but the thought of the return game at home is special.

Get your tickets now to experience a historic night in the Champions League

Haines of Sloane Square is London's oldest family-run newsstand

Haines of Sloane Square is London's oldest family-run newsstand

'We love playing in front of a home crowd and it would mean so much to us as players to see a sold-out Stamford Bridge. In games at the top level with fine margins – our fans are the best in the world and their energy, noise and passion raise our level as a team.'

Chelsea are the only English side remaining in this season's Women's Champions League – and the ambition is for a soldout Stamford Bridge to roar on Hayes's side when Barcelona travel to London in just over a week.

That fixture will be the last played at Stamford Bridge with Hayes in the Chelsea dugout. The Blues manager will depart at the end of the campaign but is hopeful of finishing her tenure with European silverware.

Hayes said: 'What a journey this has been for the team, for us to bring home a sell-out stadium on the 27 April would just be a momentous achievement for us all and symbolic of not only how far the Chelsea Women have come over the past few years but also how far women’s football has too.'

'The stage is set for an incredible spectacle of football, I hope as many fans as possible make it to the stadium so we can make history together.”

Couldn't find a thread for AKB but she is leaving the club. All the very best for the future. A great goalie for the club. I guess with Hannah and Zecira being in good form she was going to get fewer games. Thank you for all you have done for the club.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/article/ann-katrin-berger-completes-transfer-to-nj-ny-gotham-fc

Chelsea can today confirm that long-serving goalkeeper Ann-Katrin Berger has completed a permanent transfer to NJ/NY Gotham FC of the National Women’s Soccer League.

The German international joined Chelsea from Birmingham City in January 2019 and in the time that has elapsed, Berger has kept 60 clean sheets in 114 appearances, enjoying a trophy-laden career with the Blues.

In just over five years at the club, the 33-year-old has lifted four Women’s Super League titles, three FA Cups, two League Cups and a Community Shield, while also reaching the UEFA Women’s Champions League final in 2021.

akbplay video

VIDEO

THANK YOU, ANN-KATRIN BERGER 💙

After five years at Chelsea, winning four WSL titles, three FA Cups, two Conti Cup's and one Golden Glove, Chelsea say goodbye to a goalkeeper legend - thank you and good luck, Ann-Katrin Berger.

Berger was a regular during the 2019/20 league campaign before it was curtailed due to Covid-19. Our last match prior to that was in the League Cup final where the German made a string of impressive saves to help us to victory over Arsenal. She was also selected in the PFA Team of the Year.

A tally of 12 clean sheets from 17 matches ensured Berger won the WSL Golden Glove and another league title in 2020/21. She saved two penalties in a Champions League last-16 win over Atletico Madrid en route to the final, while retaining her spot in the PFA Team of the Year.

Ahead of the 2021/22 campaign, Berger was handed a new contract. She managed 15 clean sheets from 25 matches. For the third campaign running, and fourth overall, she was chosen by her peers in the PFA as the best goalkeeper of the season.

Individual recognition fell her way during the 2022/23 season when she was named in the top three for the FIFA Best Women’s Goalkeeper Award. She added another WSL and FA Cup double to her CV and made her 100th Blues appearance along the way.

Title celebrations on the final day of the 2022-23 season

Title celebrations on the final day of the 2022-23 season

Berger starred in our memorable penalty shoot-out victory over Lyon in a decisive Champions League quarter-final tie at Stamford Bridge, making two big saves in front of the Shed End to help us into the semi-finals.

Everyone at Chelsea would like to express their sincere gratitude to Ann for her service to the club, and we wish her every success during her time in the United States.

Noticed the the Women's Champions League Final is at 17.00 on Saturday 25 May. The Scottish Cup Final kicks of at 15.00. So assuming that Chelsea reach the final I could be end up celebrating a Blues Double. 

28 minutes ago, Mod said:

hmm yea tough choice for me!

Have voted for Niamh on the basis that she has been very consistent this year. Be aware that there is a problem with the voting system. When I put in my date of birth, day and month were okay but when it came to putting in the year thought that it was this century i.e. in a year well in the future rather than in the last century. I should have lied about my age!

As for the men's team I voted for Palmer. Suspect he might get the award unless someone copies what Trump did in the 2020 U.S. Presidential vote!

15 hours ago, Boyne said:

Have voted for Niamh on the basis that she has been very consistent this year. Be aware that there is a problem with the voting system. When I put in my date of birth, day and month were okay but when it came to putting in the year thought that it was this century i.e. in a year well in the future rather than in the last century. I should have lied about my age!

As for the men's team I voted for Palmer. Suspect he might get the award unless someone copies what Trump did in the 2020 U.S. Presidential vote!

I'm struggling to put my votes in. Yesterday on my tablet I couldn't enter my date of birth and had to go back month by month (a looooooot of clicks), and when I finally got to the right month and year, the website crashed. So now I'm trying it on my laptop and I don't even see a voting form where it should be. f****** hell. 

Oh well, @Mod hasn't made me an offer yet for my JRK vote, so no need to rush things :tongue:

Edited by Valerie

4 hours ago, Valerie said:

Oh well, @Mod hasn't made me an offer yet for my JRK vote, so no need to rush things :tongue:

To be honest, I think she deserves it! Joint second in the table of most WSL assists this season! Probably one of the most improved players too since last season, now she's actually been getting more game time!

1 hour ago, Mod said:

To be honest, I think she deserves it! Joint second in the table of most WSL assists this season! Probably one of the most improved players too since last season, now she's actually been getting more game time!

What has her deserving POTY have to do with my vote? I want my palms greased!

32 minutes ago, Valerie said:

And you're not 🤔 ? That's disappointing.

Come on, who did you vote for? So I can find out if I need to avoid you for a year!

9 hours ago, WhiteWall said:

Went for Erin. Many to choose from, but i think we are less if she isn't out there. I think she galvanises others when the energy or tempo drops

Same.

Although we all know the mindless masses will all vote for James, right?

15 hours ago, Mod said:

Come on, who did you vote for? So I can find out if I need to avoid you for a year!

I voted JRK, on behalf of this bloke I only know from a fan forum for some football club or other :tongue: