Oh Micky (Droy) you're so fine, you blow my mind....

loz

I am currently writing a piece on Micky Droy and am keen to get some additional input from those who saw Micky playing in the 70s and early 80s.

Would be delighted to get some personal memories from anyone that I could build into the article.

hi loz, cant remember the year now loz, my neighbour took me to my first ever chelsea game, luton town v chelsea, half hour on the bus for me to get to luton, well what a experience, think i was 8 or 10 icon_lol.gif chelsea lost 4-0 346.gif but the fans went mental, this big gezzer said at 3-0, if they score again were on the pitch, need i say more 4-0 and hundreds rang on, my neighbour said come on lets go home bolt.gif as we were going i never forget BIG MICKY DROY. grabbing a chelsea fan and lifting him of his feet and threw him back in the chelsea end, all the things that happened that day, and alot more did happen after the game , but wont go into that, but the sight of the big man will always stay in my mind happy0034.gif

Cheers mate - exactly the sort of thing I am after.

I already have a bit in the article about Droy picking up a pitch invader and handing them to a nearby copper - wonder if it was the same game. I will do a little research and check that out. I'll definitely include your story in the article.

Anyone else (looking for incidents like this and also just things like great games he had, bad games he had or any other tales)

Mickey Droy gave his all every time he pulled on a Chelsea shirt and earned the admiration and respect of Chelsea fans who knew he wasn't very talented but still enjoyed watching him play and recognised him as a true leader on the field through what were probably our leanest ever years in the old Div 2. He was probably the biggest outfield player who's ever played for us.

Having started out in the all-star team of Ossie, Cooke, Hutch etc, he was eventually overtaken by Steve Wicks in Eddie Mac's promotion side of 76-7. I may be wrong but I seem to remember his rare appearances that year seemed to coincide with our rare slip-ups, so I came to dread him being picked. In the next few years, though, he improved hugely as a player and deservedly became a regular after we sold Wicks. I remember once in around 78-9 when the tabloids claimed he was close to an England call-up after he had a blinder on an icy pitch at home to Manure, but that was probably bollox as he was never remotely international quality.

The best I ever saw him play was in our famous 2-0 FA cup win over the European champs Liverpool in 1982, when we were stuck in Div 2. He was marking Kenny Dalglish who was in fantastic form and rated the best player in Britain. He was famous for his strength and skill on the ball and his ability to turn defenders. Mickey Droy was wise to his tricks and simply stood off him, making him unable to turn, and had him in his pocket all game. He was unbelievable that day.

Another performance that I remember was away at QPR on their plastic pitch. He played as if he was playing on grass, sdiving into tackles and sliding in fearlessly. He ended up with blood on his shorts and 3rd degree carpet burns but we won and I thonk he was MoM.

He didn't score many goals although he was always sent up for corners, but I do remember one goal, back at the start of the 81 season. We ended the previous season on an unprecedented run of about 15 games without a goal, and he scored in the first home game of the next season - a header from a corner at the Shed End.

The Shed loved him and used to chant 'Mickey Mickey Mickey Droy, Mickey Droy, Mickey Droy etc.' but can't remember the name of the tune, although I could sing it.

It was rumoured he was lined up to take over as manager and I think he was pretty bitter the was his Chelsea career just fizzled out after John Neal rebuilt the sied in 1983. I can't even remember him having a testimonial, but I bet BlueBeard can.

Micky Droy's testimonial was against Arsenal, in 1984 I think?

It must have been around that time. I remember (very vaguely) going to the game, and it was in '86 I smashed my knee.

What I do remember is being on the same platform as Micky and a few of the other players standing on the platform with a few of the players on the way home from away games. They'd be away from the main official party, just as we'd be away from the main mob. Having the craic icon_wink.gif

Something else you might like to mention is that the "6 foot 2" song had more to do with Micky being Chelsea through and through than the colour of his eyes. For the benefit of younger members this was:

6 foot 2, eyes of Blue, Mickey Droy is after you

La la la la, la la la, la la

Micky Droy, Micky Droy, Micky Droy

was sung to the same tune as "Here we go".

Excellent work loz. But this:

In Rick Glanvill’s book ‘Chelsea FC The Official Biography – The Definitive Story of the First 100 Years’ Micky doesn’t even merit an entry in the index meaning the only reference to him is in the appendices covering player appearances etc.

Is truly shocking. That's just so completely and utterly, totally inexcusably, no excuses whasoever accepted ...

W R O N G

Wrong in that the book is wrong not to have mentioned

him.

Sorry I thought my meaning would be obvious. I really am shocked - I mean Micky Droy is a bona-fide Chelsea legend, and to be ignored in such a fashion, in that book of all books simply beggars belief.

I was 99% sure that is what you meant but thought I better check.

Agreed, farcical isn't it. Like I said I haven't read it for a while now so I only checked the index to try and find the pages that referred to him so I could see if there was anything worth building into the profile. I was gobsmacked when his name wasn't in it.

Not high profile enough? Not glam enough - nah, all Micky did was slog his guts week in week out when a lot of lesser players would have ran a mile from the club.

• 1 year later...

74/75? FA Cup against one of the Sheffield teams.

At SB.

0-2 down 15 mins to go. Being Chelsea mad I start shouting my head off for Chelsea to sore.

Micky Droy bursts out of defence and charges toward the Shed. Scores. The Shed stirs.

Does the same again a couple of mins later. The Shed starts going mental.

Eventually we win 3-2. The Shed is in full voice.

All because I continued to shout Chelsea on, Micky heard me and was encouraged to have a go. :huh:

74/75? FA Cup against one of the Sheffield teams.

At SB.

0-2 down 15 mins to go. Being Chelsea mad I start shouting my head off for Chelsea to sore.

Micky Droy bursts out of defence and charges toward the Shed. Scores. The Shed stirs.

Does the same again a couple of mins later. The Shed starts going mental.

Eventually we win 3-2. The Shed is in full voice.

All because I continued to shout Chelsea on, Micky heard me and was encouraged to have a go. :lol:

Yep!!.....was at the game mate in the benches!!

Big Mick managed a header past Peter Fox for the winner, as you say 2-0 down with 15 to play!!.......its a game that sticks in the memory!!!

Shame we got knocked out by Brum in the next round to a sloppy goal by none other than Kenny Burns!!!!!! :lol:

Yep!!.....was at the game mate in the benches!!

Big Mick managed a header past Peter Fox for the winner, as you say 2-0 down with 15 to play!!.......its a game that sticks in the memory!!!

Shame we got knocked out by Brum in the next round to a sloppy goal by none other than Kenny Burns!!!!!! ::ChELSeAFaN::

I thought he scored the 1st and second? Doesn't matter.

I didn't get to every game and that one was the only game I saw Chelsea win that season. I remember being very depressed/pissed off.

We used to be so unpredictably wonderful or predictably crap.

Thank heavens for what we have now.

Predictably boring? :getmycoat:

1-0 everytime will suit me if it means we win the league season after season. I like the way we are playing at the moment a mixture of style and tough defence.

Years of watching us being crap/relegated/beaten in the last seconds by the mancs/beaten by lots of crap teams/not winning silverware means boring and winnning is loads better.

TBH JM is the greatest manager we have had to date but sometimes watching the team was boring was'nt it?

Anyway back on topic.

Micky Droy was a great player for Chelsea and I bet he would have loved the success we are having now.

I thought he scored the 1st and second? Doesn't matter.

I didn't get to every game and that one was the only game I saw Chelsea win that season. I remember being very depressed/pissed off.

We used to be so unpredictably wonderful or predictably crap.

Thank heavens for what we have now.

Yep diff game now though..........nah Mick scored the winner with a header in the bottom right hand corner mate :D

Hutch, i think, if memory serves me right got the equilizer with a sliding shot off the underside of the bar!! -_-

Archived