And people say we don't invest in our youth

http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/sport/spo...es-series.co.uk

Archie is Chelsea-bound

They start them young these days.

Belmont Youth FC's Archie Oates, from Burnt Oak, has been snapped up by Chelsea - at the tender age of five.

The Blues only usually recruit youngsters for their academy when they turn six, but Archie has been earning such rave reviews, the Premier League giants have acted quickly to ensure no other clubs get in first.

Imagine if he stays with Chelsea and makes his debut when he's 18.

Sheva will be close to 45 years old.

Mikel will be in the final years of his career.

Liverpool still haven't won the league.

And maybe, just maybe, he'll be a part of the generation that will finally make England win the world cup icon_lol.gif

Rave reviews about a five year old? Will that kid be interested in football in a few years time? 5? 10? 15? Sure it's great to nurture the talent, but I hope he has time to try other sports as well.

And not neglecting his school work either. I wonder if they have a bum wiping coach at the academy?

I have asked this before, but didn't we sign a heap of young African players under Jose? I seem to recall that we signed, or at least exercised our rights to sign, about 10-12 African youth players. Also remember it giving fergie the hump

Jose and Youth team prospects should never be said in the same sentence . It’s like a politician and ethics. Both parties know they exist but would never be seen dead publicly acknowledging or taking advantage of it or promoting it ………

I disagree, I think it was club politics and management structure that effectively kept Mourinho out of youth team affairs. I beleive had we not brought in Arnesen, Mourinho would have had a far more hands-on role with the youth team.

I disagree, I think it was club politics and management structure that effectively kept Mourinho out of youth team affairs. I beleive had we not brought in Arnesen, Mourinho would have had a far more hands-on role with the youth team.

What do you base that little theory on? I don't remember reading anything about the players he brought through the ranks at Porto, or anywhere else come to that.

Archived