Gudjohnsen Interview

ethicalstrategy

I was listening to the interview that Eidur gave to Balague on the Game podcast this week. It's an interesting listen.

He says he will be considering his future with Barca this summer. When Balague made the point that "a senior player" at Chelsea had said that Eidur had never really been replaced by the club Eidur confirmed that if he did come back to the Premier League then he would want it to be with Chelsea - if they would have him back!

I was one of those who wasn't sorry to see him go because he looked a little disenchanted and stale, but I have to agree that we haven't really found anyone who can play the same role for us and I'm sure we would have been better off if he had stayed. I wouldn't be against him coming back.

Game Podcast

The interview starts after 12:55 if you don't want to listen to the rest of it.

Eidur was great for us and I was always a huge fan. But there is no doubt, he got slower and slower as time went on and although I still think he'd do a better job for us than the likes of Malouda and Pizarro, I don't think it would be a good move to take him back.

What the really unfortuante thing about Guddy's situation is that he was/possibly still is one of the world's best support strikers, and he has spend the last 5-6 seasons (peak of his career) playing for teams that only play 1-up, where he has been played as an out of position lone striker, an out of position central midfielder or an out of position winger.

Was absolute quality in Vialli's and Ranieri's 4-4-2's. JFH wouldn't have got half the goals he did if it wasn't for Guddy and Zola.

I would have him back (assuming he didn't expect to start every match) - would be a lot better 3rd/4th choice striker than the likes of Pizzaro and Sheva have been.

But, no team is going to see the best of Guddy unless they play with 2 up front. I doubt Zola, Bergkamp, Cantona or anyone else would have done any better playing for Mourinho's Chelsea or Rikaard's Barcelona.

I would have him back because (1) he'd be a useful sub to have on the bench (I think he fills a hole in the squad), and (2) he'd bring back some of the camaraderie into the squad. We need more players like him, JT, Lamps and Joe Cole, for whom the club mean a lot. These are the players that won't allow us to go down without a fight, no matter what competition we're in.

Cheers,

Butch

I would have him back because (1) he'd be a useful sub to have on the bench (I think he fills a hole in the squad), and (2) he'd bring back some of the camaraderie into the squad. We need more players like him, JT, Lamps and Joe Cole, for whom the club mean a lot. These are the players that won't allow us to go down without a fight, no matter what competition we're in.

Cheers,

Butch

clap2.gif

can't see how losing pizzarro and bringing back eidur (a player who was never reliant on pace) could possibly hurt us, and his return would surely be a boost in the dressing room.

Cheers,

Butch

clap2.gif

can't see how losing pizzarro and bringing back eidur (a player who was never reliant on pace) could possibly hurt us, and his return would surely be a boost in the dressing room.

Depends how much club resources are being used to do it and whether or not they are better deployed elsewhere.

guddy`s peoblem was always where to play him. he wasnt an out and out striker, and he wasnt a midfielder. hes perfect to play behind a striker, but was never consistent enough. as i said, im always dubious about having anyone return to the club. but he might be the exception.

Archived