We have the best chance to win this season's premier league

June

Normally, I do not agree with media's mind game aka "premiership title is Chelsea to lose".

However, with present situation, I believe Chelsea have the best chance.

Liverpool are struggling with conditions when Gerrard is not fit and Lucas poor performance

Manchester United are not able to adapt without a wide winger like Ronaldo. Their defence is a suspect too.

Arsenal and Manchester City are still inconsistent, more like a champion league spot contender.

It doesn't mean that we don't have a problem too. We are lucky that Drogba is in-from for the past of few weeks, otherwise we will have problem to score since our midfield is a little bit less productive compared to last season. I suspect this is due to the 'compact' diamond formation where our midfielders are spaced quite near to each other.

The biggest test for Chelsea will be on December and January. Winter period and African Cup schedule.

If Mourinho or Guus were the Chelsea manager at the moment, I would feel 100% comfortable for Chelsea to secure the title.

Guest d-vder
Normally, I do not agree with media's mind game aka "premiership title is Chelsea to lose".

However, with present situation, I believe Chelsea have the best chance.

Liverpool are struggling with conditions when Gerrard is not fit and Lucas poor performance

Manchester United are not able to adapt without a wide winger like Ronaldo. Their defence is a suspect too.

Arsenal and Manchester City are still inconsistent, more like a champion league spot contender.

It doesn't mean that we don't have a problem too. We are lucky that Drogba is in-from for the past of few weeks, otherwise we will have problem to score since our midfield is a little bit less productive compared to last season. I suspect this is due to the 'compact' diamond formation where our midfielders are spaced quite near to each other.

The biggest test for Chelsea will be on December and January. Winter period and African Cup schedule.

If Mourinho or Guus were the Chelsea manager at the moment, I would feel 100% comfortable for Chelsea to secure the title.

Pretty much agree with the analysis, apart from the last point: I think Carlo has the skills, experience and attitude to get the job done. If we don't get it, I don't believe it will be largely down to him. I suspect it will be one or more of the following:

1. We lose concentration and start dropping points regularly to sharp, adaptive teams (i.e., what we did at Wigan)

2. Injury to Lamps, Terry, Bos, Cole

3. We hit a lucky/particularly in form team in any of our later big four matches (the boot was on the other foot with Liverpool)

4. Our loss of our African backbone coicides with any of the above

You can blame the manager only so far, sometimes you get bad coincidences/luck.

1. We lose concentration and start dropping points regularly to sharp, adaptive teams (i.e., what we did at Wigan)

We did not have this kind of problem with Jose at helm, did we? There is exactly where the role of the coach becomes important. Jose would not let that happen, and I cant really comment on Guus because his reign was so small. Carlo is still new so we dont know.

Guest d-vder
We did not have this kind of problem with Jose at helm, did we?

Agreed, but those were earlier days with a hungrier team. This team has now gone onto prove their worth (under Jose, yes), but now need a bigger boot up the ar$e/tactician than before. Plus the opposition have raised their game and adapt to us.

I'd argue we need a different manager from Jose now. Carlo is of the right calibre to get the job done, given that he has the freedom to do what he needs. The Africa Nations issue and transfer ban may cramp his style.

I think it would be interesting to see how Jose would do with this team right now.

We did not have this kind of problem with Jose at helm, did we? There is exactly where the role of the coach becomes important. Jose would not let that happen, and I cant really comment on Guus because his reign was so small. Carlo is still new so we dont know.

It did happen under Jose, In the 06/07season man u were dropping points in the run in and we were not capitalising at all.

Also in D vader's post i think our key injury would have to be didier at the moment.

It doesn't mean that we don't have a problem too. We are lucky that Drogba is in-from for the past of few weeks, otherwise we will have problem to score since our midfield is a little bit less productive compared to last season.

i know what you mean with the midfield but i still think that's a little harsh on nico

anelka has a decent return as well this season

i said at the start of the season it would be us top and city 2nd and i haven't really seen anything that'll change my mind so far

Guest d-vder
i know what you mean with the midfield but i still think that's a little harsh on nico

anelka has a decent return as well this season

i said at the start of the season it would be us top and city 2nd and i haven't really seen anything that'll change my mind so far

Anelka's good, love the guy, but he needs good support. An on form Joey or Deco might be part of it, but nobody can open up defences like a tin can like Drogs, on current form.

@sals: yeah, dunno what happened to the rest of my list, but Drogs was in there, as was Essien. Having to rely on Kalou and Mikel scares me. I think Alex proved himself a good alternate for Carvalho, which is saying a lot in my book.

Guest d-vder
Here's a different view of our title chances:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1...title-bide.html

It's by a journo who has never written anything good about us ever.

He can't even spell "bid".

All valid concerns, but only negatives, packaged by an obvious Leicester fan. A balanced report would have discussed strengths as well as weaknesses and would not have resorted to ad hominem attacks.

Poor report, not worthy of consideration.

we have as good a chance of everybody else on 4 fronts, i doubt we can win all 4 but we should be in there at the death with all 4

the only thing that can kill our chances off are our own players lacking the motivation at places like wigan

we need to treat every game as a cup final

hopefully the transfer ban thing will be overturned, and we can strengthen in january if needed

keeping drogba fit and in the right frame of mind will also be a big plus for us, and as long as the boss remembers not to pick malouda we should be ok

we have as good a chance of everybody else on 4 fronts, i doubt we can win all 4 but we should be in there at the death with all 4

the only thing that can kill our chances off are our own players lacking the motivation at places like wigan

we need to treat every game as a cup final

hopefully the transfer ban thing will be overturned, and we can strengthen in january if needed

keeping drogba fit and in the right frame of mind will also be a big plus for us, and as long as the boss remembers not to pick malouda we should be ok

Never understood what some people have against Malouda. Last goal in the dippers match, last goal (not counted) in the FA Cup, seems to work well on the left with Ash. What's not to like?

Genuinely interested to hear, as I may have missed something.

Never understood what some people have against Malouda. Last goal in the dippers match, last goal (not counted) in the FA Cup, seems to work well on the left with Ash. What's not to like?

Genuinely interested to hear, as I may have missed something.

You must have missed the first 18 months of his CFC career then.

You must have missed the first 18 months of his CFC career then.

No, I saw that, but current form and evidence of keeping that form is what interests me. Otherwise we might be writing off far more players than Malouda.

My point is this: he's working well now and getting into his stride. He looks consistently good. Are you saying he's not good currently?

I was also rather anti-malouda initially, but i am willing to change my opinions if someone can prove they deserve to be changed, and the 2nd half of last season, Malouda did that for me.

That goal in the FA cup final would surely have been one of the great FA cup final goals

No, I saw that, but current form and evidence of keeping that form is what interests me. Otherwise we might be writing off far more players than Malouda.

My point is this: he's working well now and getting into his stride. He looks consistently good. Are you saying he's not good currently?

I never said he wasn't good enough in the first place. I was merely answering your question as to why people didn't take to him.

i am, im definately saying he`s not good currently. hes had a couple of decent games but hes still not playing well consistently.

I never said he wasn't good enough in the first place. I was merely answering your question as to why people didn't take to him.

Oops, sorry misunderstood. :(

I was also rather anti-malouda initially, but i am willing to change my opinions if someone can prove they deserve to be changed, and the 2nd half of last season, Malouda did that for me.

That goal in the FA cup final would surely have been one of the great FA cup final goals

I agree and more, I think he's developing momentum. And it's not just about personal form either, it's also about clicking with the team, and Malouda seems to be doing that with Ash and others.

As others have said, I think our title challenge will come down to what happens when the African lads leave in January. Basically, we will be relying very heavily on Anelka, Ballack and Lampard to stay fit and on form. If that doesn't happen, I can see us dropping points, slipping behind and having to play catchup in the back half of the season like we have for the last few years.

However, those three players mentioned are top quality, and if they do produce the goods in January, I think we have as good a chance as United of taking the title. If we are close enough to the top of the table when the likes of Drogba and Essien come back in February, I think our superior squad will get us home.

I don't rate Liverpool or Arsenal this season. Liverpool have gone back to being a two-man team and Arsenal have a talented squad, but don't have the ticker for grinding out results in the big games.

We will always be able to change our midfield in January to incorporate more wingers as we will have joey, yuri and malouda. People need to remember that we have a easy january (hull and burnley away, Sunderland and birmingham at the bridge). I am pretty confident that we should be able to get at least ten points out of that which will be of no harm to us in the title race. Anelka will be very important but i am confident that if he is not scoring goals we have the players who can.

To be honest, some of the concerns raised in Ridley's article are my concerns too. Although the article was written before the Liverpool game, and now the writer must be eating his chunk of humble pie for a few points in that article, but truth is we have not been convincing in quite a few results so far. Even in the Liverpool game, our first goal came from a schoolboy mistake from Mascherano.

I hope the form continues for as long as possible so that we can create a good lead at the top of the table so that when we hit a bad patch, of which I'm sure we're going to at some point in the season, we must be in a comfortable position to deal with it.

Archived