chelsea 4 liverpool 2

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Is it me or does the crowd seem so much louder when we score then than now?

Definitely not you, mate. I've noticed it more and more that when we score a goal now it sometimes generates just a polite smattering of applause, I really can't understand it. In the old days when we scored the whole ground would erupt with a mighty roar, and we'd be jumping around in the Shed like a bunch of lunatics, hugging the nearest person as though they'd just saved our life. Yet another reason I prefer to dwell on the old days...

Fanatastic memoies thanks for posting, and big matches for us at the time as our best chance of silverware was the cups hence the passion. However we have it just as much today for big games

I have said this before, we often blinded by nostaglia .. there were times when it was so so bad at The Bridge. I got DVD's where you can hear the players shouting clear as anything from the 60's 70's and 80's .. there were times I used to quesiton what am I doing here during the 80's in particular, pathetic attendances !!

Great memories for big matches but I dont accept it was much better in the past

I also remember when I was first going to The Bridge regulalry in the late 70's old fells telling me how crap the crowd was and how much better it was in the 50's ;) My Grandad always told me it all went to pot in the 60's (quite litterly in some cases !)

:lol:

Dont get me wrong when I am at The Bridge now I think half these people doent know what it is all about, but it certainly no worse than it has ever been, we dont traditionally have a huge fan base.

However I would be more embaressed if I was Manure, Arse, or The Poo.. so called big clubs with huge fans bases, some times there crowds are gash, particularly when game is not going their way !

Thats a brilliant link Brit , i'll be up all night watching a few games :lol:

The Liverpool game i still have on video , original recording and i watch it at leat twice a month , great with a few beers. Zola's goal v Man Yoo is a favourite of us all i reakon. The celebrations after the bolton game on Sky i remember too, myself and my other half were crying ;)

A memorable tie that was against Liverpool. I am sure I do not need to remind fellow Blues that we went 2-0 down and look like going out, only to come out in the second half and completely turn the tables. For me the win for Chelsea was one of the best performances and wins by any Chelsea side in the last 20 years. It is right up there with the 3-1 and 4-2 wins against Barcelona, 5-0 at Gala etc.

I have said this before, we often blinded by nostaglia .. there were times when it was so so bad at The Bridge. I got DVD's where you can hear the players shouting clear as anything from the 60's 70's and 80's .. there were times I used to quesiton what am I doing here during the 80's in particular, pathetic attendances !!

Great memories for big matches but I dont accept it was much better in the past

I also remember when I was first going to The Bridge regulalry in the late 70's old fells telling me how crap the crowd was and how much better it was in the 50's :laugh2: My Grandad always told me it all went to pot in the 60's (quite litterly in some cases !)

For my part, I was answering The Brit's question "Is it me or does the crowd seem so much louder when we score then than now?"

The crowd noise when we scored a goal in the 60's and 70's was awesome, people went ballistic. As I said in my previous post, nowadays that just doesn't happen. Just watch MOTD and observe the crowd at the Bridge when we score. Yes, the fans look happy, but apart from a brief cheer all they do is politely applaud, apart from in the big games.

One of the reasons you can hear the players shouting on your DVD's from the old days is due to the positioning of the pitch mikes - and remember, the crowd was miles away from the pitch in those days. I'm sure the TV companies often faded the singing out at the Bridge, due to the lyrical content of some of the songs ;) - probably still happens now too, come to that.

We usually got decent sized crowds up until the late 70's, and their support was great. Non-stop singing from about an hour and a half before the game, during the game, even all the way through half-time somtimes. I'll admit that when our attendances dropped it made a difference, but not all that much. After all, most of the so-called 'supporters' who stopped going when we were crap were the ones who used to sit in the East & West Stands or stood quietly on the north terrace - the Shed was nearly always as full as it ever had been, and the singing was much the same, though obviously the overall crowd noise was diminished.

Anyway, I've always been more nostalgic for the away games in the old days rather than games at the Bridge (apart from the home matches against the other London clubs or Man.Utd, they were always 'interesting'). The away games in the 70's and early 80's had to be experienced to be believed a lot of the time, though I've heard many Chelsea fans say that even now the away games are much better than home ones, atmosphere-wise.

Edited by BlueBeard

For my part, I was answering The Brit's question "Is it me or does the crowd seem so much louder when we score then than now?"

The crowd noise when we scored a goal in the 60's and 70's was awesome, people went ballistic. As I said in my previous post, nowadays that just doesn't happen. Just watch MOTD and observe the crowd at the Bridge when we score. Yes, the fans look happy, but apart from a brief cheer all they do is politely applaud, apart from in the big games.

One of the reasons you can hear the players shouting on your DVD's from the old days is due to the positioning of the pitch mikes - and remember, the crowd was miles away from the pitch in those days. I'm sure the TV companies often faded the singing out at the Bridge, due to the lyrical content of some of the songs :D - probably still happens now too, come to that.

We usually got decent sized crowds up until the late 70's, and their support was great. Non-stop singing from about an hour and a half before the game, during the game, even all the way through half-time somtimes. I'll admit that when our attendances dropped it made a difference, but not all that much. After all, most of the so-called 'supporters' who stopped going when we were crap were the ones who used to sit in the East & West Stands or stood quietly on the north terrace - the Shed was nearly always as full as it ever had been, and the singing was much the same, though obviously the overall crowd noise was diminished.

Anyway, I've always been more nostalgic for the away games in the old days rather than games at the Bridge (apart from the home matches against the other London clubs or Man.Utd, they were always 'interesting'). The away games in the 70's and early 80's had to be experienced to be believed a lot of the time, though I've heard many Chelsea fans say that even now the away games are much better than home ones, atmosphere-wise.

Spot on Bluebeard. It may not always have come across on TV due to the distance from the pitch but the shed and benchers were always in decent voice. I can remember many a game from the 80's and early 90's where the constant singing at least saved us from the boredom of the frequently dire football on display.

loved this game, made even better as i was in a boozer in liverpool with a work mate who was also a chelsea fan. we got dogs abuse then absolutely took them apart as the goals kept going in. luckily my mate was a big old unit so no-one really wanted to mess, though a couple got mouthy (scousers remember) until he threatened to rip their f**king heads off. lovely day.

loved this game, made even better as i was in a boozer in liverpool with a work mate who was also a chelsea fan. we got dogs abuse then absolutely took them apart as the goals kept going in. luckily my mate was a big old unit so no-one really wanted to mess, though a couple got mouthy (scousers remember) until he threatened to rip their f**king heads off. lovely day.

Had a similar experience more recently - one of the first games of the season when we beat them 2-1; in a pub in St Florence, Pembroke, whilst on holiday; the place was teeming with red shirts & perms, arms waving all over the place - me in the blue; I'll never forget when that second goal went in - they just went silent, I was virtually swinging from the light fittings. Magic.

• 5 months later...