David Silva

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I noticed in a lot of the discussion about signing either Torres or Aguero, that people are picking formations with Aguero and Anelka just behind Drogba. I'm not sure if that is a good solution and would waste their talents, and surely after Drogba's season it is unthinkable to move him to another position.

With that in mind, would we not be better off going for someone like David Silva? We've been linked with him in the past, he's a superb player and incredibly creative, and not only would he fit into the 'just behind Drogba' role far better than Torres or Aguero could, he'd also be available for probably half the price of the other two.

Any thoughts? Depressingly United have been linked with him, but with Valencia and Nani having reasonably good seasons there, Fergie's insistence on just one more signing, and the fact they probably need a central midfielder or even striker before someone like Silva, I kinda doubt that he'd go there.

(edit) Actually, forget it.

Edited by blizeH

I really rate David Silva. He can play on both wings, and as a central attacking midfielder can't he?

So he would fit in the 4-3-3 and the diamond

He would be a brilliant signing.

Edited by Cam

Yeah, I think in terms of our current players and the systems we use, he is the one player more than any who'd fit right in.

Assuming our recent lineups, you could pretty much stick him straight in ahead of Kalou (sorry Salomon!) and you'd have a really awesome team. You'd also really keep Anelka and Silva on their toes as well, knowing that we'd have players like Kalou and Cole itching for a game and ready to step in if anyone gets injured or has a real dip in form.

I kind of agree with Randy. If he wants to go to Man U thats one thing but with

-Valencia's finances

-Valencia just having sold Villa

I would think its gonna take a good amount of money to prise him out of there. And thats a luxury Man U dont have.

If Real Madrid fail to get Ribery, Silva would be a much more sensible option. Younger, adaptable, Spanish.

Hahah, that too blize. Also, no room for "not interested in underage hookers"

Actually, it appears what Randy said is right on the money. Alot of news outlets are running a story that Silva to Real Madrid will be wrapped up by next week, for a similar fee to Villa. Good for him and I'm glad to see the Mancs didnt get him

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...ers&cc=5901

More importantly, with a young, talented attacking mid/winger coming in to Real Madrid, you-know-who now becomes expendable

rafael-van-der-vaart-3.jpg

"Take me to London, and yesh my wife is coming too"

Edited by TheWestwayWonder

More importantly, with a young, talented attacking mid/winger coming in to Real Madrid, you-know-who now becomes expendable

If he becomes available for a good price, we should find out if he would want to move to London.

I thought it would've made more sense for Barca to go after Silva than Villa, but maybe they want Villa to play more of a natural striker role with Pedro and have Messi to move back a little bit. Otherwise Messi and Pedro up front, Silva playing off of them, with Xavi and Iniesta behind....dirty.

im still bitter we didnt snip Sniejder at such a reasonable fee in the summer.....tho Silva would be a player in the same mold....better attitude too!

This. I have always loved Sneijder and was sad to see us not make a move for him, especially given how he played for Inter this season.

Madrid are gonna repeat the mistake of Sneijder by selling van der Vaart now.

Even with him, Raul and Guti leaving, there will not be enough space with the likes of Silva and probably another striker or attacking option coming in.

---------Higuain

Silva-----------------Ronaldo

-----------Kaka

--Alonso-------Diarra/Gago

And then in a year they shove Sergio Canales somewhere in there

Would love to get Silva in. Would be expensive, but i think he would be worth it. As we are now playing 4-3-3 i think having genuine top class wingers in malouda, silva, and joe cole ( if he does get back to his best) are great opitions to have. Would definatley be worth it.

Also, what about Mata?

Most of the plusses (if not all) mentioned here would also apply to him, and he'd be cheaper and possibly more available than Silva. Could be worth a look?

I'd certainly have Mata here, and I agree he would come cheaper, but I think after selling their #1 and #2 stars, Valencia are gonna look to keep what they have and remain competitive. Unless someone try and blow them away with an offer

Madrid are gonna repeat the mistake of Sneijder by selling van der Vaart now.

Even with him, Raul and Guti leaving, there will not be enough space with the likes of Silva and probably another striker or attacking option coming in.

Raul is leaving? Is he retiring or just moving to some other club?

Dunno exactly, Maks, I just know that its all but certain he's played his last game. People were talking during the season about a move to the Middle East or the MLS.

Its a shame as I thought he would stick around and continue as a bench player. I would like to see him win one last title with Madrid and then hang em up for good. But I guess if theyre offering you unotold millions to play a few matches in Dubai its hard to say no.

Dunno exactly, Maks, I just know that its all but certain he's played his last game. People were talking during the season about a move to the Middle East or the MLS.

Its a shame as I thought he would stick around and continue as a bench player. I would like to see him win one last title with Madrid and then hang em up for good. But I guess if theyre offering you unotold millions to play a few matches in Dubai its hard to say no.

Would he? He should have all the money he needs and should be able to retire after a glorious career as a club icon.

Raul is leaving? Is he retiring or just moving to some other club?

retiring....unless he is goinna take a final few paycheques in the MLS or something....I cant envisage this 1 club man playing out his last few years in any other European club....so IMO MLS or he is retired officially