Web browser gone slow

Anyone know how to fix a slow web browser? been working fine until yesterday and now it just keeps lagging and freezing when I scroll on sites, it can freeze in place for a few seconds which is a pain and also when I watch videos they freeze but I can still hear the sound fine. Typing this message was horrible as well as it kept freezing when I wrote all of this.

Is it a virus or something? cleared cookies and that but still wont work fine like before.

Anyone know how to fix a slow web browser? been working fine until yesterday and now it just keeps lagging and freezing when I scroll on sites, it can freeze in place for a few seconds which is a pain and also when I watch videos they freeze but I can still hear the sound fine. Typing this message was horrible as well as it kept freezing when I wrote all of this.

Is it a virus or something? cleared cookies and that but still wont work fine like before.

Are you experiencing Slow performance only for the web browser or even the system performance has been slowed down??

Which web browser you are using?

If the problem is only with browser , You can try re installing it and see if it helps.

Are you experiencing Slow performance only for the web browser or even the system performance has been slowed down??

Which web browser you are using?

If the problem is only with browser , You can try re installing it and see if it helps.

Using Firefox, nothing else is slow, spotify works fine, msn etc.

Will try and re-install now.

Using Firefox, nothing else is slow, spotify works fine, msn etc.

Will try and re-install now.

Have a look at what add-ons you've got installed and uninstall any you're not sure about. Unnecessary add-ons can slow down browsing speed and increase start-up time considerably,

Have a look at what add-ons you've got installed and uninstall any you're not sure about. Unnecessary add-ons can slow down browsing speed and increase start-up time considerably,

Done that now, removed some weird ones I've never heard of, cheers.

Firefox has always had a problem with cache`ing and resource grabbing. It has always had memory leaks and is the reason I use google chrome now, over time firefox just grinds to a halt and grabs all the memory it can. You would think they could figure it out by now and stop it.

Firefox has always had a problem with cache`ing and resource grabbing. It has always had memory leaks and is the reason I use google chrome now, over time firefox just grinds to a halt and grabs all the memory it can. You would think they could figure it out by now and stop it.

I also prefer Google Chrome now a days....Its lighter and faster browser than Firefox .

Only problem with Chrome is its not that stable yet, so the Shockwave plugin used to display interactive graphics on websites and play videos keeps on crashing every now and then.

I also prefer Google Chrome now a days....Its lighter and faster browser than Firefox .

Only problem with Chrome is its not that stable yet, so the Shockwave plugin used to display interactive graphics on websites and play videos keeps on crashing every now and then.

Yeah, the plugin crash is pretty annoying. Apparently the new version is even faster and more stable, though I havent updated it yet

How do you find this out? I'm sure I probably have some add-ons running that don'tmeet the "necessary" criteria

How do you find this out? I'm sure I probably have some add-ons running that don'tmeet the "necessary" criteria

Tools/Add-Ons

The only Add-Ons I've currently got installed are Adblock Plus (essential), and a couple of Kaspersky utilities. This is a fresh install though, so in the not too distant future I'll be adding to the list, but only as required.

The general rule with Add-Ons is the fewer the better. If you're unsure about any Add-On try disabling it first, then if Firefox works ok without it go ahead and uninstall it..

Im not using Mozilla anymore, found Chrome a lot quicker - only thing I dont like with Chrome is that you cant really click that little arrow like on other browsers and choose a saved webpage.

Chrome does have favourites though, if thats what your getting at.

Comodo Dragon is the most secure... and just as fast as Chrome (well, it's built on the chromium source code)... Also, I'd contend that about Opera, but it's all about personal preferences.

Firefox 4 is pretty nippy, and when it's out of beta it'll be well worth a look. The new JavaScript engine for it is utterly ridiculous, and with some of the graphics card rendering options it should be pretty close to the fastest.

Comodo Dragon is the most secure... and just as fast as Chrome (well, it's built on the chromium source code)... Also, I'd contend that about Opera, but it's all about personal preferences.

Firefox 4 is pretty nippy, and when it's out of beta it'll be well worth a look. The new JavaScript engine for it is utterly ridiculous, and with some of the graphics card rendering options it should be pretty close to the fastest.

Never knew that Comodo were making browsers now, so I thought I'd give it a go. It looks very much like Chrome, and during setup imported my bookmarks and passwords from Firefox. I also opted to use Comodo's DNS servers, so we'll have to see how we go with those.

I'm not quite ready to switch to it as my default browser, but thanks for the info, so far it's looking good.

Never knew that Comodo were making browsers now, so I thought I'd give it a go. It looks very much like Chrome, and during setup imported my bookmarks and passwords from Firefox. I also opted to use Comodo's DNS servers, so we'll have to see how we go with those.

I'm not quite ready to switch to it as my default browser, but thanks for the info, so far it's looking good.

Neither did I, might give it a go as I currently use their firewall and a couple of other bits and pieces.

Neither did I, might give it a go as I currently use their firewall and a couple of other bits and pieces.

Well it's basically a rebadged, modified version of Google Chrome, but without Google Updater and Google tracking cookies.it even uses the same Themes and Extensions as Chrome. I won't be scrapping Firefox completely though, because certain content (VShare TV etc) only works in Firefox.

As for the Bookmarks/Favourites issue, like a lot of people, I prefer the Bookmarks on the left. So I simply created a new folder on the Bookmarks Toolbar (imaginatively called "Bookmarks", dragged it over to the left, then clicked Organise Bookmarks and moved everything over from the default Other Bookmarks folder, which as far as I know, can't be moved or deleted.

• 2 weeks later...

Firefox 4 was officially released today and so far I'm well impressed. It's very minimalistic with access to most of the menu functions from a drop down list in the top left hand corner. Then you have the address bar and search bar, and below that the Bookmarks bar. Bookmarks were automatically imported from the earlier version of Firefox, added to the left of the toolbar, but unlike Chrome they were easy enough to move to the left. You can also turn the Menu Bar on and off at will with a right click. It's also very fast.

Firefox 4 download page

Archived