Kev Macallister / Pat Nevin

WHFBlue

What were peoples thoughts on Kev Macallister ? He was idolised at Falkirk but dont think he was ever given a real chance at the Blues, however Nevin seemed to get his :Connie_threaten:

Kev was one of the best wingers in the game and was probably unlucky not to be capped ... best memory was when he took the p**s out of Lorenzo Amoruso at Ibrox and left him on his erse .. tremendous ::ChElSeaFLag::

Even to this day, Wee Pat is still my favourite all time Chelsea player. He was born in the same year as me, and the moment I first saw him play for us at The Bridge, he bacame my footballing hero. Back in those days, I too played on the wing and tried to emulate him when I played (largely unsuccessfully!).

I know MacAllister came into the team a bit later than Nevin and although he had some good games, he was never a fans favourite like Nevin and didn't find the same levels of consistency as Wee Pat.

Nevin at no. 7, Mac at no.11 and Speedo at no. 10 - our three little Scots - great memories.

I really liked Mac though he never seemed near Nevin in terms of ability - Nevin had magic in his boots whereas Mac seemed to be more about grit and effort.

I didn't see him too often though.

I really liked Mac though he never seemed near Nevin in terms of ability - Nevin had magic in his boots whereas Mac seemed to be more about grit and effort.

I didn't see him too often though.

Some good clips of Kev playing for Falkirk on youtube .. check out some of them especially his Scottish cup goals and the Amoruso incident .... he had the ability trust me, Nevin was good but maybe im just biased towards crunchie :JC_doubleup:

Did the bridge stadium tour and when the guide asked where we were from and my daughter said Falkirk he immediately said ahh wee crunchie ... which i thought was top class of him showed he really knew his stuff ::ChElSeaFLag::

I rated McAllister highly, but feel he was always playing in Wee Pat's shadow. I'm sure that when Chelsea signed him everybody thought he'd be another Nevin. Under different circumstances he might have been, but unfortunately Johnny Neal had left by the time Mac arrived, and been replaced by John Hollins with his arsewipe sidekick Ernie Walley.

Crunchie was the reason i started following Chelsea aswell as Falkirk. Alway's (in my totally non biased opinion) had more ability than Nevin but maybe was a bit overawed playing for a big club in a big city.

Best memory was him single handedly tearing Hearts to bits in a Scottish cup semi.

Also met him at my work when he was labouring for a pipe fitting company and turned up in his brechin city car everyday.

Cant diagree as he hed tremendous skills. I think he enjoyed life in the big city a little too much :431: . His seemed to lack fitness. Seem to remember him having one of his best games for us at Derby in the FAC about 87ish. Deffo underated, bit like Kevin Wilson around that time. He got loads of goals but was always overshadowed by Dixon and Durie the judas.

• 2 months later...

Remember one fantastic battle at Upton Park between him and George Parris full back. The two of them went at it all day and Kev got the better of him on occasion, but Parris also did well considering the scorching pace he was faced with. Great game even though we lost. We were 1-0 up, the 2-1 down, then 3-2 up and ended up losing 5-3.

Thanks for posting that. Never seen that before - great goal!

Shame about that red kit. Think we were doomed for relegation that season as soon as the decision was made to have a red away kit. Hope lessons were learnt!!

Some good clips of Kev playing for Falkirk on youtube .. check out some of them especially his Scottish cup goals and the Amoruso incident .... he had the ability trust me, Nevin was good but maybe im just biased towards crunchie :JC_doubleup:

Did the bridge stadium tour and when the guide asked where we were from and my daughter said Falkirk he immediately said ahh wee crunchie ... which i thought was top class of him showed he really knew his stuff ::ChElSeaFLag::

FWIW most Hibs fans feel that he was sold back to Falkirk too soon.

Highly rated in Leith, considered one of the best ever dribblers over there, FACT.

arsewipe sidekick Ernie Walley.

Whats the sciore with Walley bluebeard? I bumped into David Speedie once in Leicester and asked him why he left Chelsea, he said it was down to Walley, didnt they end up having a training ground punch up or something?

le Saux said in his autobiography that Hollins was a very weak manager who had trouble keeping control of the dressing room AND in our Centernery history DVD Dixon said he turned in a tranfer request, Bates said "no, there will be changes" and Dixon said there was. reading between the lines I think thats why Hollins got the sack.

I used to like Kevin Macallister thought he was a great little player, obviously loved Nevin as well.

Nevin's last ever Chelsea goal,

Pause it at 1:52.................Jukebox, Pat, Crunchie and Steve Clarke.

Classis 80's Chelsea = 4 Jocks and a manky away kit, happy days!

FWIW most Hibs fans feel that he was sold back to Falkirk too soon.

Highly rated in Leith, considered one of the best ever dribblers over there, FACT.

Whats the sciore with Walley bluebeard? I bumped into David Speedie once in Leicester and asked him why he left Chelsea, he said it was down to Walley, didnt they end up having a training ground punch up or something?

le Saux said in his autobiography that Hollins was a very weak manager who had trouble keeping control of the dressing room AND in our Centernery history DVD Dixon said he turned in a tranfer request, Bates said "no, there will be changes" and Dixon said there was. reading between the lines I think thats why Hollins got the sack.

I've never heard anyone say a good word about Whalley. I think he was an old army instructor who had no relationship with the players and treated them like schoolboys.

Apart from that, I remember a story that he once got the players to have a practice match WITHOUT A BALL, to improve their work off the ball presumably. Bonkers. And clearly the players saw him as a joke of a coach. No wonder there was practically open mutiny, with virtually the entire squad wanting to leave (can't remember where I read that, but it was around the team Speedie and Spackman demanded and got transfers, and Dixon wanted to go as well).

I've never heard anyone say a good word about Whalley. I think he was an old army instructor who had no relationship with the players and treated them like schoolboys.

Apart from that, I remember a story that he once got the players to have a practice match WITHOUT A BALL, to improve their work off the ball presumably. Bonkers. And clearly the players saw him as a joke of a coach. No wonder there was practically open mutiny, with virtually the entire squad wanting to leave (can't remember where I read that, but it was around the team Speedie and Spackman demanded and got transfers, and Dixon wanted to go as well).

sounds like a good idea in principle badly executed in practice, maybe he wanted to improve the players fitness but you go to go about it the right way not just get a non football man to impose himself on them in abusive ways.

that team could have contibnued to improve, if we'd kept spackman, pates, nevin and speedie, shame the wheels fell off but there you go.

Sourced the Kev McAllister Amoruso clip on you tube .... ahh the good old days of following Falkirk lol Watch the whole clip to see agreat goal from Davy Moss and a packed lower stand at Ibrox with Falkirk fans .... sorry about the quality of the clip

Edited by WHFBlue

wee pat & kev very different players - pat was a tricky dribbler, could drop a (tiny) shoulder and skip past fullbacks - and maybe a tad lightweight when not in the mood

kev quicker and more spikey and keener to get a shot in himself

at the time they played together, I loved it - 2 proper wingers

incidentally, toffees fans always speak highly of pat too